Poll

Should we leave Dumathoin?

Yes.
- 13 (72.2%)
No.
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 97

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Thread closed.  (Read 118253 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Server has new map!
« Reply #510 on: May 18, 2014, 11:47:43 pm »

Does anybody have things they want added to the OP? I think it's time to update it.

Strikethrough of the old, for legacy purposes, Dale's entrance's coordinates (X 1002, Z 12614, Y 72), a rule that builds within the fortress should try to hold the same appearance as others within for consistency.

Got a few more ideas, but server has a kick time for inactivity.
I'll throw the old stuff into another post. Does anyone else have something they want added?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 18, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »

I'll throw the old stuff into another post. Does anyone else have something they want added?

Actually, could you also add in my request for feathers, ink sacs, leather, and sugar cane (to be placed in the chest in the transition center) to the OP as well?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 19, 2014, 12:23:22 am »

Actually, could you also add in my request for feathers, ink sacs, leather, and sugar cane (to be placed in the chest in the transition center) to the OP as well?
Will do.

I'll update the OP tomorrow. Any poll requests, while I'm at it?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 19, 2014, 01:09:36 am »

Stay a member of the civilization that currently owns our fortress or revolt and become our own?

Edit: Anyone what the other cities under the control of the civilization are called?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:22:41 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 19, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »

Also, how should we expand, if we need to?

We need to go deeper!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:29 pm »

I believe we should have Dale be our main trade center and basically the part of Dumathoin that others will see, and keep the inner Dumathoin to ourselves.

The largest mines are within Dumathoin and to get to the main farms, you have to go through Dumathoin for the easiest path.  We are going to have quite a few live outside, until they are proven trustworthy, that will want to mine and work the industries, which are also primarily inside.  I'm thinking we could have 'worker's passes' be made to be given to those who want to enter the city, but haven't proven themselves trustworthy enough to allow inside full time.  The passes would be given and returned at the checkpoint area that's just before the bridge to Dumathoin from Dale.

murphyslaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:33 pm »

...Keeping people out of Dumathoin itself and trying to control traffic...

Good Luck!

There's:
+ Four railstations (at least, probably some I'm forgetting) that connect to god knows where anymore with million breaches into natural caverns and mining branches each
+ Three big grand entrances to the underground including the one that was just built for Dale (When one of the existing ones was literally just over the hill from Dale!)
+ One underwater access point that was the old "hidden" boat launch
+ Probably 50 or more random exploratory construction tunnels that crisscross into the surrounding natural caves and older mines (At least two or three of which are "on site").

What we need to do is:
+ Seal access to the central city cavern (and it's immediate appendages) with blast doors or something.
+ Immigrants we don't trust can be part of some other section of Dumathoin. It's big enough. Really, really big enough. We couldn't fill it if we wanted to. We can just throw them in "Old Dumathoin" around the original cavern, the one with the "sagging" wooden bridge and crane, which would be a fine central point for them. The older mines there are exhausted and that cuts off two entrances as well as all but the Grand Central rail station for us in the main city cavern.
+ Forget Dale, seal the new redundant entrance. (Sorry).

Dumathoin was never meant to have surface structures. I know this, having worked under Goldminer, the guy who founded Dumathoin and put more work into it than anyone. I almost feel like it's disrespectful to have Dale, right there, with direct access to the heart of Dumathoin.

minor edit:
Also if people are going to be ripping up our power rails, we might consider just sticking with powered carts. They're not quite as fast, but charcoal is unlimited and easy (unlike gold) and they're more reliable (especially with cargo trains).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:07:40 pm by murphyslaw »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:13 pm »

Dumathoin was never meant to have surface structures. I know this, having worked under Goldminer, the guy who founded Dumathoin and put more work into it than anyone. I almost feel like it's disrespectful to have Dale, right there, with direct access to the heart of Dumathoin.

Really, I don't think of Dale as an aboveground area of Dumathoin, but rather as its own separate city.  It's small, but it does have the ability to remain self-sufficient from Dumathoin.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #518 on: May 19, 2014, 11:49:58 pm »

Stay a member of the civilization that currently owns our fortress or revolt and become our own?
+1

Also, silly question, but where the sod is Dumathoin? I can't see it on the civcraft map, so either it's the wrong one or it's out of date. Either seems likely, regarding the state of their wiki.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:35 pm »

...Keeping people out of Dumathoin itself and trying to control traffic...

Good Luck!

There's:
+ Four railstations (at least, probably some I'm forgetting) that connect to god knows where anymore with million breaches into natural caverns and mining branches each
+ Three big grand entrances to the underground including the one that was just built for Dale (When one of the existing ones was literally just over the hill from Dale!)
+ One underwater access point that was the old "hidden" boat launch
+ Probably 50 or more random exploratory construction tunnels that crisscross into the surrounding natural caves and older mines (At least two or three of which are "on site").

What we need to do is:
+ Seal access to the central city cavern (and it's immediate appendages) with blast doors or something.
+ Immigrants we don't trust can be part of some other section of Dumathoin. It's big enough. Really, really big enough. We couldn't fill it if we wanted to. We can just throw them in "Old Dumathoin" around the original cavern, the one with the "sagging" wooden bridge and crane, which would be a fine central point for them. The older mines there are exhausted and that cuts off two entrances as well as all but the Grand Central rail station for us in the main city cavern.
+ Forget Dale, seal the new redundant entrance. (Sorry).

minor edit:
Also if people are going to be ripping up our power rails, we might consider just sticking with powered carts. They're not quite as fast, but charcoal is unlimited and easy (unlike gold) and they're more reliable (especially with cargo trains).

I like this plan, especially as it requires construction which I'm itching to get down to, we should also seal up the rail line cavern breaches, preferably with plain stone to somewhat "hide" the existance of the rail line" we could reinforce the walls of whole lines if we wanted to...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 20, 2014, 12:17:13 am »

[REDACTED TO KEEP DUMATHOIN COORDINATES HIDDEN]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:06:13 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 20, 2014, 01:24:30 am »

Poll made. Sorry for delay in updating OP; will update tomorrow.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #522 on: May 20, 2014, 01:29:33 am »

Also, silly question, but where the sod is Dumathoin? I can't see it on the civcraft map, so either it's the wrong one or it's out of date. Either seems likely, regarding the state of their wiki.

Dale entrance: X 1002, Z 12614, Y 72
From the entrance, go to the furthest left and back structure, cross the lowest bridge, down the tunnel, and head straight into Dumathoin.
Fantastic. Thankyou.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 20, 2014, 09:56:33 am »

I'm backing up Zansetkuken's plan. We shall seal all other entrances but Dale. If need be, we will seal them with magma and obsidian, but we will seal them.
+1

I found lots of diamond tools, and some other miscellany, behind a wall yesterday. I've set them in the chests in the central rotunda. The work of dismantling and sealing one door has already been done for us, as far as I know, only the boat launch and the entrance next to the Dale Gate are still open.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 20, 2014, 02:21:18 pm »

is anybody on tonight?
I would love to make the long trek there, but it would be so bummer if nobody was there :(
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 97