Poll

Should we leave Dumathoin?

Yes.
- 13 (72.2%)
No.
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 97

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Thread closed.  (Read 118315 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Server has new map!
« Reply #465 on: May 09, 2014, 06:15:57 am »

Now I'm confsed too...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:31 am »

the shotbow one seems excessively laggy.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #467 on: May 09, 2014, 09:01:13 pm »

What someone with spare time needs to do is figure out (1) which one is which and (2) how we will distinguish between them.

"Old Civcraft" and "The shotbow One" seems reasonable, though. Which one was MarcAFK talking about?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 09, 2014, 09:17:12 pm »

Heh....
Ok so,,, all the links in my last post were about the old civcraft, mc.civcraft.vg ,civcraft.org and reddit/r/civcraft
However all that stuff about founding a civilization, the version I was origonally talking about with buildings requiring upkeep and totally overhauled tech/materials/mechanics etc, are the shotbow one, civcraft.net and reddit/civilizationcraft .

I'll give a brief impression of what I've seen so far of each server.
Civcraft.vg
Server has never reset, very empty, covered in ruined civilizations, but apparently still has active civilisations, I saw 30 odd people online and there was no noticable lag, also I bumped into a guy making a huge ass structure for himself near my stash.

Shotbow.net
Network appears to host something like a dozen different modded minecraft versions, has around 3000 people online.
Has 4 different servers, Arendel 21/150, Grenard 62/150, Corinth 37/150 online, Loki I can't seem to even find, but has low numbers on. I logged onto Corinth which is the 'casual" server Seems excessively laggy, however that might be my shitty overheating laptop, I usually have no problems with everything turned down to minimal, however here I'm getting 5 fps at spawn.
Also I'm starting to think that "casual" isn't really the best description for a mod that requires high activity from a civilization in order to keep buildings upkept.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 09, 2014, 10:04:08 pm »

Shotbow has some pay-to-win stuff, if I remember correctly.

Founding a civilization on Civcraft looks pretty tricky, but I wouldn't mind trying.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #470 on: May 10, 2014, 06:58:28 pm »

I like the sound of civcraft.vg. Loads of ruins and the like would be pretty darn cool. Setting > Population as far as I'm concerned.
"Excessively laggy" is not my thing. I remember the days playing on a shitty overheating laptop. I do not miss them. Not sure about the mods though - I guess it depends on what they are.

Or we could just stick around a larger civilization, forming a small cult.
And slowly overtaking the government.
+1
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:23 am »

I'll explain what the mods on civcraft.vg are. I've just gotten back into the world and have met up with some guys in Carbon, it's a fairly well developed city which is well placed for naval transport to other places, at least I can get there from my mountain home in a short time, It's connected to the main transport hub which links up all the larger cities near the center, the CIC network is currently undergoing upgrades in a few test areas for 'supercart' capability. Basically stacks of minecarts travel better or something , I'm not sure.
The world itself extends 15,000 blocks from spawn in each direction and most cities are clustered a few thousand blocks from 0,0, the extensive rail network allows fast travel to key points, while going from -15000 to + 15,000 would take an hour, no large cities are quite that far apart (maybe some secret ones are). The nether currently is disabled in order to facilitate difficult and long travel, also for economic and security reasons. However the admin is currently working on reimplementing the nether in a manner that would suit the rest of the world's enviroment. Large nether biome areas do currently exist in order to get blocks, but being in the overworld you don't get nether mob spawns, these areas are rare too. However zombie pigmen do spawn from portals making them a good source of gold.
Here's a link to a description of the mods: http://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/1emr0o/welcome_to_civcraft_20_a_basic_guide_to_the_mods/
Thus far the only mods I've seen in action are:
 Realistic biomes; this significantly slows down plant growth, and requires using suitable biomes if you want things to grow with any speed.
For instance in a forest biome a tree will grow in 6 hours, elsewhere it will take 2 days (the chunk has to be loaded for growth to occur), important to note that no plants will grow in ocean biomes( my house is in an ocean :(   ). Crops grow significantly faster when theres clay under the soil, also sunlight is required, or being only a single block away from glowstone.
Citadel: Blocks can be reinforced through the use of a stone, iron bar, or diamond. A reinforced block requires you to break it 25, 250 or 1800 times before it will actually break, the peoson who has reinforced the block can easily remove the protection, or give access to another person or group. Reinforced chests, doors, etc will be locked, but your stuff can be stolen by a determined enough attacker.
Jukealert: Uses juke boxes to monitor areas, hide them around and you can spy on who is griefing your stuff.
Prison pearl: Killing another player with a Ender pearl in your hotbar will imprison them in the end. You must 'feed' the pearl 2 coal a day to retail the imprisonment.  Cities build well protected reenforced vaults for keeping high security prisoners in. Generally Cities have laws which are enforced with short 'pearling' sentences. Players can offer a bounty on a pearl containing other players, generally you'll need to post proof of their transgression on reddit before someone will accept.
And factory mod: Allows the production of "factories" which can construct large stacks of Items for significant savings on their usual cost,  XP can only be produced through bottles, mining, killing mobs, harvesting etc no longer provides any XP. But factories also provide another way of enchanting items.
Theres a few others on that page which I haven't really encountered or noticed.

Oh and one last thing, the Government of Carbon wishes to inform all migrants and travellers that the production or consumption of Bread within the City limits is prohibited and serious infractions will be enforced with pearling, Have a nice day.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:44:23 am by MarcAFK »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2014, 02:26:22 am »

That... Actually might get me interested in Minecraft again. What's build protection like? We could just burrow under a city...
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2014, 07:26:13 am »

Pretty sure we would be pearled for that ;p.
But there seems to be a few large secretive underground cities in the very far reaches of the map, but theres abandoned cities everywhere, theres one near carbon that's basically a 1000 block diameter flattened courtyard. I'm pretty sure nobody would mind if we invaded an abandoned and ruined city, but there are several ruined cities that are actually hosting communities deep underground jealously protecting their half destroyed autofarms and swiss cheese-like walls, and i know of at least one that's come back from the ashes since last year when i visited and saw it basically looking like hiroshima.
As far as I can see theres 3 kinds of build protection:
1) Block reinforcing.
2) Laws against griefing. Only enforced within active cities obviously.
3) Bounty hunting ; Everyone hates griefers and the seriously bad ones tend to hide themself away from polite society, theres probably a few small communities of griefers somewhere who come out every so often to reek havoc. And then there was that whole HCF incident, they actually completely ruined some nice cities.

From what I've seen this is a great server for people who just want to build, heaps of room, good communities, interesting mechanics, but theres virtually no mobs (did I mention that before?), and there really isnt much PVP to speak of, But the cities are amazing.

The other CIVcraft however seems to have rather interesting PVP mechanics, Civilizations actually declare war on each other then for a 1 hour period there's basically anarchy as each side tries to destroy the other's buildings and stuff, also the cannon towers are freaking scary.
I saw a video of a shotbow civcraft war, mostly it was people running around aimlessly, but some highlights include:
 7:46 -12:00:  Omaha beach-Minecraft style
 19:30-25:00ish: . Running the gauntlet
37:00-39:00:  Fuck it, just attack the tower, Which fucking block am I supposed to hit?
42:00- 47:00 : Destroy everything!
55:00-59:00:  Another tower down.
1:05:00-END: ! Why is Town being destroyed when we already control it?.... & Your Civilization has crumbled to it's end.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:35:39 am by MarcAFK »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 16, 2014, 08:37:59 am »

It does look rather interesting.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 16, 2014, 09:38:02 am »

I agree, I think we should invade.

Obviously we need to build underground though.  I can't tell, how much automation is possible?  Could we make an awesome auto-everything system?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:39 am »

It was done, many moons ago.

The map's likely been reset since then, what with the 1.6 changes under the hood to terrain, but I remember participating in this. It was a great server, though there's little chance I'll be able to join up now.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 16, 2014, 11:03:21 am »

It was done, many moons ago.

The map's likely been reset since then, what with the 1.6 changes under the hood to terrain, but I remember participating in this. It was a great server, though there's little chance I'll be able to join up now.
Nope, server is still exactly the same, I could never find someone to let me in the front door of the place in that thread, but I made a nice garden nearby that's actually visable from the map.
And I jut discovered the map shows terrain at maximum zoom.
http://civcraft.slimecraft.eu/map.php?z=4&y=6400&x=-2900

The general area I spawned In, I've explored quite alot of the visable area and not much else.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:11:07 am by MarcAFK »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:50:58 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 17, 2014, 09:54:58 am »

We have a unique opportunity to reclaim a fort here, though, and a pretty darn awesome one at that. I'd spawn inside the place, if I remember right. But I do like the idea of being nearer to other players. I'd be up for it too, but I'd only be able to make weekends.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 97