Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky  (Read 18405 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1: Arrivals
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 04:00:36 pm »

Sofia stopped and sat down a bit, to think. She knew that Iseaya had wildlife problems... but she had a bow, and she had the physical ability to fight. Why not? Many heroes of old were members of town guards or military groups!
Sofia will attempt to join the guard.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »

Kassen was a little uneasy around so much water. Well, it wasn't the water, so much as it was the fact that it was salt water. To Kassen, water was a precious commodity. All his life he fought other clans for water in the dry desert. Even now, having passed all those rivers and lakes on the way here, he is surprised by how plentiful it was.

But salt water was a different story. Poison water, the shamans would tell of a place that is tainted. The ocean. A cruel curse, to have so much of something as vital as water, only to have it cursed to be poisonous. Kassen could gather that these God-men revered this poison water. It disturbed him, but not so much that he would speak out against their ways.

He would listen closely to the God-man, not understanding a word here or there, but getting the gist of it. Thurn of the poison water, Isyeria of the poultice, and the Many Others of One. Were these ancestors, perhaps, like Kassen's own religion? Or something much different, worship of a Greater Being? He was betting on the latter, for it seemed that these frail men would invest in something above themselves, rather than something more familiar.

There was still more work to do, more information to earn, but Kassen thought he would be allowed one question.

"I look for a tree that spoke. Do you... know a tree that spoke?" he asks.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:18 pm »

Nico smiles slightly, flipping through the books. And for the first time in a long while, he planned to actually buy one as opposed to the other, less costly option. He didn't much like the idea of getting on the bad side of the locals so early. At least, not much more than he already had.

Smiling pleasantly, he asks the stall's owner, "Excuse me, but how much does this cost?"

He holds up the copy of Word and Rhythm for a moment.

(I imagine that this would only count as a conversation? I mean, I'd like to get to the stuff at the other stalls, but it'd be rather odd to just have Nico going through and asking about the prices for each object I'd like, y'know?)
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »

"I look for a tree that spoke. Do you... know a tree that spoke?" he asks.
The robed man gave him a brief, quizzical look before responding, "The only sacred trees in this city are our mangroves, but they don't speak to us. The Aethen worship a great tree though, and they call the one who interprets the will of the forest the Speaker. An odd heathen practice as far as I'm concerned, but the closest thing to a speaking tree on this coast."

Smiling pleasantly, he asks the stall's owner, "Excuse me, but how much does this cost?"

He holds up the copy of Word and Rhythm for a moment.
The old wizened man behind the stall had to have the book very close to his face before he could make out which volume it was. He replied in a rambling speech, as if recalling a moment in his personal history,
"Ah, this book. This book was quite well written. If anybody tries to convince you Hucksley is anything but a scholar of the highest sort, you can tell them they are quite mistaken. He had a true sense of intellectual discipline and rigor. That's not to say faults can't be found in his writing. His style is indeed quite eccentric, I've personally never thought much symbolism was appropriate in the instruction of magic, but one can't fault the old fellow for having tried to develop his own voice. This book though, that voice comes through more than his scholarship at some times. I would part with it for 60 copper coins, and I hope you find an interpretation of it which is helpful."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:12 pm »

Nico nods slowly, looking down at the book's cover.
"Tch... I don't suppose the cost is negotiable? I've only just come around to this place this very day and... well, I'm sure you've some idea of how rough it can be getting settled in. Particularly monetarily..."

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »

"Tch... I don't suppose the cost is negotiable? I've only just come around to this place this very day and... well, I'm sure you've some idea of how rough it can be getting settled in. Particularly monetarily..."
(3 +33% for +1 = 3) The old man replied calmly, "It's worth what I say it's worth, this book is an old friend."
My Area

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:48 pm »

Nico gives an understanding smile.
"Right, right... Can't fault me for trying, eh?"
He hands over the 60 pieces of copper, taking the book with a careful movement.
"Well then, thank you for the book. Oh, do you might know of any work around here?"

He pauses for a moment before departing, waiting to hear the old man's response.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 12:00:15 am »

Nico gives an understanding smile.
He hands over the 60 pieces of copper, taking the book with a careful movement.
"Well then, thank you for the book. Oh, do you might know of any work around here?"

He pauses for a moment before departing, waiting to hear the old man's response.
"Actually I may have some work for you to do. My eyesight isn't what it once was, and I struggle reading the titles on my precious books. I could use a young pair of eyes to organize them for me. If you're interested stop by my house tomorrow. I'm the third one down the north street from the inn, on the right side."
My Area

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 07:28:27 am »

"Sure. It'd be a pleasure, mister... uh, what's your name, anyway?"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:21 am »

"You can call me Mr. Llewellyn"
My Area

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 01:26:34 pm »

"And my name's Nico. It's been a pleasure, sir."
Nico walks off to the inn, smiling slightly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:08:55 pm by SomeStupidGuy »

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »

It was at least close to what Kassen had in mind. The best lead he has. "Where is a big tree?"

With that, Kassen will work off his debt to the man. If the temple has a commons room or some such, ask to stay there for the night. If not, ask where he could find 'protection from thieves for the night'.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »

Day 1 - Night -- Day 2 Morning

Seawall

Meyath turned to the doctor and asked, with a hint of desperation in her voice, “Do you know where I could find a place to sleep?"

The doctor looked too caught up looking at the young patient in front of him to notice at first, but then he looked up at her, realizing she had helped him a lot recently. He replied, "There's a barracks nearby. It's not the best place to stay, but I'm housing enough of their men and women here, they should have a spare bed for you" and pointed out the window towards a large building down the street a short ways.

She set off in that direction, and walked in to find long rows of beds to her right, and weapon and armor storage to her left. A gruff looking captain walked up to her and demanded to know why she was there, but as soon as she mentioned she had been working in the hospital and needed a place to stay he quickly showed her to a bed which he said was unused at the moment. As she lay down she felt weariness from the day’s activities and stresses seep into her and she fell unconscious quickly.

Her night was silent, neither dream nor noise interrupting her rest.

She awoke in the morning to men sharpening swords and checking armor. None of them seemed particularly concerned with her presence as she stretched and sat up in the bed.

Aetharbor

Kassen was interested in the old man’s speech. Understanding his language was difficult, and on top of that a cultural barrier remained. Through all this talk of gods, Kassen was uncertain what these gods were, whether or not they were the ancestors of these men, or something else entirely. But through all of this the question that burned in his mind was not so much about these gods, but about what the talking tree could mean, so he asked the old man, "I look for a tree that spoke. Do you... know a tree that spoke?"

The robed man gave him a brief, quizzical look before responding, "The only sacred trees in this city are our mangroves, but they don't speak to us. The Aethen worship a great tree though, and they call the one who interprets the will of the forest the Speaker. An odd heathen practice as far as I'm concerned, but the closest thing to a speaking tree on this coast."

Deciding that was the closest he would get, he asked one last question, "Where is a big tree?" to which the man responded “I’ve heard the Speaker is at Asha Lake. The lake is to the north of Vourun, up the river from here. But enough of heathens. It is late.”

With that the old man led Kassen inside. He took Kassen up to a small chamber, barely a bed set into a wall, and said, “We have more than enough space, stay here the night.”

Kassen had a hazy dream that night that resembled his earlier dream, but without much clarity. As he awoke he felt certain that this dream would not leave him alone till he resolved it. He stepped out onto the cold stone and into his sandals and walked down the hall to the stairs, and out into the main entrance where he saw people apparently engaged in prayer once more.

As they walked towards the boat he had found earlier TsuJochi asked Arno to show him what his abilities were. In response Arno slipped a pair of large throwing knives out of his sleeves and starting throwing them at posts and crates in the pier as they walked. Consistently they embedded themselves in the center of the posts, impressing TsuJochi to no end.

As they reached the boat, however, their luck took a slightly worse turn. Upon learning he would have a new passenger, the captain got rather annoyed and accused TsuJochi of trying to cheat him. Describing their intentions placated the captain to a degree, but he still demanded 30 more coins for the extra passage. Handing him 90 coins, TsuJochi and Arno boarded the boat and found a space of the floor to sleep on.

Despite having used magic rather late in the day, and the movement of vessel and the noise around him, TsuJochi was able to fall asleep quite readily, and did not awake until he saw the sun peaking over the small village as they came up to it’s dock. The sky today was clear, but instead of it’s usual blue color, it was the color of rose gold. Thinking nothing of it, TsuJochi anxiously got off the boat.

Iseaya

Wracking her brain for all the stories of heroes she could remember, Sofia decided that most all of the heroes had been a part of some guard or military group. Being a town whose main threats were from nearby animals and the like, Iseaya was much more in need of a guards than soldiers. Slinging her new purchase across her back she strode back to the barracks she had seen earlier. Walking confidently through the doors she nearly walked into a man who was half again her height. Instead of apologizing she quickly asserted she was there to join the guard. Instead of being offended, the tall man simply laughed, impressed by her firey nature, and told her that she could go to the archery yard in the morning and they’d see if the guard needed her.

Upon learning she had no place to stay the night, he brought her up to a small storage room upstairs. He said they weren’t in the habit of giving beds to people who weren’t members of the guard, but she could sleep up there if she could get comfortable. Looking at her temporary home, she was able to convince herself that there was something noble, heroic, about having to sleep in an attic at the beginning of her epic journey. Pulling a couple of sacks together she lay down, and rolled about a while before falling asleep.

She dreamt that of stalking a large beast through the forest before bringing it down with her bow. But something went wrong, as the arrow entered the shapeless beast she felt a sharp pain, and cried out in agony.

She awoke in a fitful sweat, and decided to leave her nightmare behind her. She calmed herself down and walked down the stairs to the main area of the barracks.

Spirarbor

Holding up the copy of Word and Rhythm, Nico asked,smiling pleasantly, "Excuse me, but how much does this cost?"

The old wizened man behind the stall had to have the book very close to his face before he could make out which volume it was. He replied in a rambling speech, as if recalling a moment in his personal history,
"Ah, this book. This book was quite well written. If anybody tries to convince you Hucksley is anything but a scholar of the highest sort, you can tell them they are quite mistaken. He had a true sense of intellectual discipline and rigor. That's not to say faults can't be found in his writing. His style is indeed quite eccentric, I've personally never thought much symbolism was appropriate in the instruction of magic, but one can't fault the old fellow for having tried to develop his own voice. This book though, that voice comes through more than his scholarship at some times. I would part with it for 60 copper coins, and I hope you find an interpretation of it which is helpful."

Nico nodded slowly, looking down at the book's cover. He wanted this book, but that was over half of his money.

The old man replied calmly, "It's worth what I say it's worth, this book is an old friend."

Nico gave an understanding smile. Not wanting to have angered the old man, he replied,
He handed over the 60 pieces of copper, taking the book with a careful movement.

"Actually I may have some work for you to do. My eyesight isn't what it once was, and I struggle reading the titles on my precious books. I could use a young pair of eyes to organize them for me. If you're interested stop by my house tomorrow. I'm the third one down the north street from the inn, on the right side."

"You can call me Mr. Llewellyn"

"And my name's Nico. It's been a pleasure, sir."

With that Nice set off to the inn. After some quick negotiation with the innkeeper, Nico got a room for the night for only 5 coppers. Going up to his room, he fell asleep with his new purchase under his pillow, quite satisfied with the day as a whole.

He woke after his dreamless sleep to see a rose-gold sky outside his window. Thinking it to be a rather odd phenomena, he spent the first couple minutes of his day staring at it.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

My Area

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »

Ptw
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:03:39 pm by Alexandria »
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »

Sofia heads to the archery yard.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8