Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71232 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:25 am »

Well, the nocebo effect is a thing, but as far as I know, it hasn't yet resulted in people bleeding from various orifices.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2014, 12:25:57 pm »

Well, the nocebo effect is a thing, but as far as I know, it hasn't yet resulted in people bleeding from various orifices.

From what I've heard from some Americans, a possible link with Taco Bell? :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »

From what I've learned from South Park, definitively a link with Chipotle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2014, 07:24:31 am »

...is it too late to attempt to buy that 500+ acre land in Canada for Bay 12 members to fall back to?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2014, 04:02:09 pm »

I recently learned that the doctor guy awhile back who contracted ebola was actually just because in Nigeria or wherever, they didn't have air conditioning, so they didn't wear their suits fairly often, and the decontamination procedure took so long with poor infrastructure (buckets of lysol and systematic scrubbing, etc., not quick showers) that they ate lunch all the time without deconatminating, etc.

Apparently it's not actually very contagious, won't transfer by saliva or mucus very easily or at all (main concerns for sneezing/airborn, etc.) pretty much by direct blood, feces, vomit, etc. contact.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:23 pm »

pretty much by direct blood, feces, vomit, etc. contact.

Sounds like door handles and buses are now off limits.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2014, 02:13:20 pm »

pretty much by direct blood, feces, vomit, etc. contact.
Sounds like door handles and buses are now off limits.   :P
The modern world that takes the threat seriously are pretty safe in regards to containing/minimizing the risk of an outbreak. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is sexually transmitted ebola.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »

Considering Ebola is only contagious when the symptoms are already visible, I think that's rather unlikely.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »

Considering Ebola is only contagious when the symptoms are already visible, I think that's rather unlikely.

Reminder: weird-ass fetishes exist. Hell, there are people who DELIBERATELY have sex with known HIV carriers for the kicks.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:23 pm »

Apparently it's not actually very contagious, won't transfer by saliva or mucus very easily or at all (main concerns for sneezing/airborn, etc.) pretty much by direct blood, feces, vomit, etc. contact.

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect regarding saliva. And there's also the fact that once you start showing symptoms, your saliva and mucus will have blood in it. Actually, your everything will have blood in it. And your blood is mostly Ebola at that point.

It's a pretty terrifyingly simple virus: It operates by trying to turn you into it. At the cellular level. Not just acting as a host factory to crank out more virii, but becoming completely converted into a mass of virus. That's also the only reason we're not all fucked years ago, because it's so aggressive that it can't hide and kills off its (human) hosts rapidly.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2014, 03:01:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect regarding saliva. And there's also the fact that once you start showing symptoms, your saliva and mucus will have blood in it. Actually, your everything will have blood in it. And your blood is mostly Ebola at that point.

It's a pretty terrifyingly simple virus: It operates by trying to turn you into it. At the cellular level. Not just acting as a host factory to crank out more virii, but becoming completely converted into a mass of virus. That's also the only reason we're not all fucked years ago, because it's so aggressive that it can't hide and kills off its (human) hosts rapidly.

So it's basically Grey Goo that's limited to living, organic beings of certain species it's able to infect.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »

Reminder: weird-ass fetishes exist. Hell, there are people who DELIBERATELY have sex with known HIV carriers for the kicks.
darwin awards, away!
._.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »

It operates by trying to turn you into it.
To be fair, that's all viruses.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »

Yep.  Common cold: the family-friendly grey goo. 

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:22 pm »

Nope. That's lytic cycle viruses. There are also lysogenic cycle viruses, which operating by turning themselves into you. Specifically, integrating themselves with your DNA and just getting copied with the rest of... well, you. They can change from one to the other depending on circumstances and virus type.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48