Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you want to know? (SETTING)

General! (Like SparkNotes for history!)
- 0 (0%)
Civilian! (Common ways of life in the future and you!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Military! (Everything protective, destructive, and inbetween!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Criminal! (Not everythings a bright ray of sunshine!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Politics! (Glorious, good old factionalism!)
- 2 (33.3%)
Tech! (Prostetics, cloning, electronic fields oh my!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other! (List in a post what you want!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33

Author Topic: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)  (Read 60975 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)
« Reply #465 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:02 am »

One thing that struck me as odd with the setting is that it's essentially a contemporary city transported up into space. Was this literally what happened?
I'm sorry, but where did you get this impression? I don't remember anything like that.
Uh, there's apartment blocks and streets and motor vehicles and we're in a space ship.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 06, 2014, 08:11:00 am »

Don't forget the space zombies.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 06, 2014, 09:09:19 am »

Important question - are there countryside-style areas, or is Ship City a metropolis throughout?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 06, 2014, 11:16:11 am »

Mechanics question: how do you decide when something is definitely dead?

Also, I'm glad this is back.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 06, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »

Mechanics question: how do you decide when something is definitely dead?

In a 'when is it mechanically dead' or a 'when it is dead' kind of way? For the first, if your health falls below the red line (below badly wounded), an instant endurance/toughness/not dying test is rolled. If you pass (right now a coin flip could be used instead of a die roll, fixing that to allow for variable results though) then you're alive but in a pretty bad spot. If you fail, you're dead.

At least, that's how it is for NPCs.

For PCs, if you fail you're still alive but just barely. Its a sort of grace period, basically, and allows you to do things you may not normally be able to do. You can progress your turn as normal, but at the end of the turn another survival roll is called. If you fail that, you're toast. So you normally want to deal with the whole 'bleeding out/edge of death' rather rapidly. The actions are death defying actions, and they're listed on the first post under the mechanics spoiler.

Basically, you can try to flee but every enemy who can will try to attack you, you can try to attack every enemy within range but if you fail to hit (damage is optional) then you die, you can do an action that's automatically a critical but you die afterwards (so using it to heal yourself would be a bit of a waste, since you'd do a bang up job but still die). There's also the fourth, but that's only if you're brought to a dying stat due to your own fault (stepping out of an air lock, swallowing a live grenade, drinking unknown chemicals, etc).

If you meant how one can tell when something is really dead, then I'd say when there's pretty much nothing left of it. Most tend to die far before that point though.

Important question - are there countryside-style areas, or is Ship City a metropolis throughout?

The outskirts would be the best bet, although if you want a quality looking countryside-esc place that would be uptown, or the rich district. Of course there its more a really well maintained park/yard than a countryside and barred off to most. The outskirts used to house a rather nice and (relatively speaking) large park. Its still there, but its fallen under poor maintenance and has become a bit of a meeting place for unsavory types. There's been some talks about removing a good chunk of it for a good and proper embassy (don't want to get shown up by the other shipstates after all), but that's rather fallen to the wayside due to recent events.

So for the most part the whole of the city in the ship is a metropolis, but you'll find a few parks (the most notable in the outskirts and uptown) here and there. Anywhere beyond the two notable places would be very small or oddly designed (a building housing a park, with each floor a separate part of it, for instance) though, considering the need to be as efficient with space as they can (unless you have the money or clout to forgo that).

As a note, a few things: I've determined (a while ago so I'll have to rewrite it in full but I still have it in my head) a few changes for guns, time, cover, and a small change to food.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't worry if the above doesn't make a lot of sense, I'll put it in clearer terms when I get everything written up again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:51:21 pm by Xanmyral »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:33 pm »

One thing that struck me as odd with the setting is that it's essentially a contemporary city transported up into space. Was this literally what happened?
I'm sorry, but where did you get this impression? I don't remember anything like that.
Uh, there's apartment blocks and streets and motor vehicles and we're in a space ship.
Where did it say we were in a space ship.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »

There's been several mentions of it, mostly in the beginning admittedly, and just a short while prior when I answered NQT. I'm not very obvious on the 'you're in a city in spaaaaaceeee' bit because when you're actually in the city, its rather hard to notice. It just seems like, well, a city.

The allusions to it however do become more obvious the farther away you get from the city, and the more you get into the workings of the ship as it'll look more akin to a space-faring ship. Hasn't really come up beyond the mechanical humming noise in the bunker, and it honestly may never come up depending on what and where you go.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:09:40 pm by Xanmyral »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 07, 2014, 03:13:05 am »

Persus
Where did it say we were in a space ship.
The OP:

Settlements grew on ships, planets, wherever people found it to be profitable or plausible. Great city-ships were created, each an almost self-sustaining community in its own right. This story takes place on one such ship...

Even if you only read the TL;DR:

TL;DR:
Try to survive a post-apocalypse event that happened on a giant space ship.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 09, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »

Alright, today is the last day to post questions (About stuff I normally wouldn't answer, or stuff I wouldn't answer in as much depth. You could ask mechanics questions, but I'd answer those any time really.), as after today I shall be without easy access to the forums, and phone posting is a real pain.

Recap coming later today.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:01:08 pm by Xanmyral »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 09, 2014, 02:01:30 pm »

Okay, quick question - do the monsters do anything other than eat people and corrupt shit? Do they have any other hobbies or goals in life?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 09, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »

Apologies for the late answer.

Okay, quick question - do the monsters do anything other than eat people and corrupt shit? Do they have any other hobbies or goals in life?

From one in the hiding place, truly much song and merriment.
From one of the unassuming, unassuming they shall remain.
From one in shining red regalia, decry communal fate.

Don't listen to the false tongue, that of the sycophant, it speaks nothing but sweet lies.
Don't listen to the honest tongue, that of the wise, it speaks nothing but harsh truths.
Plug up your ears and cover your eyes, for in the way of the blind there are answers to find.

EDIT: Blast, a tie in the poll. I may just have to do both.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:52:30 pm by Xanmyral »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 09, 2014, 06:43:17 pm »

Blah Double Post but I need to tell you guys stuff.

1) I sadly can't give a recap today, due to looming time constraints, but perhaps its for the best. It would of been a recent events quick-and-dirty sort of recap, relying from old memory than from rereading. I will however have a recap made by the end of the two week period that would be a much more thorough and accurate one, as by then I'd have remade my notes which means rereading the entire thread (not that large, honestly, and its made even easier thanks to the directory).

2) I've been chewing on character skills and abilities for a while. Due to a d6 system, a +1 is a real tide changer and if I'm too free with them then it becomes a battle of bonuses, which isn't that fun in my opinion. So I've been cautious about giving skills due to the fear of having just way too many of them. But I think I've figured out a good way around that which would be more fun in the long run to boot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 10, 2014, 10:25:15 am »

I like the character development system, it makes sense in a cooperative RTD

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:09 am »

Hey folks, sorry for the silence. Two weeks without net and needing to get used to a night shift again was hard on my free time.

So far, the only real things delaying the update is the finalization of my notes (people, places, things and stuff going on), the recap, and actually writing the turn. The rules have been pretty much rewritten from their lost state and the basic infrastructure of everything has been set back up again.

So, in the interest to keep things moving (along with prove I'm not dead nor this going under again), I'll do a few things. One, I'll carry through with the poll, and two, I'll show you guys those starter abilities I mentioned a while ago. These abilities were granted with only the information given (or not given in one case) in character creation as they represent starting expertise or ability. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't partially influenced by events that have transpired however.

They quite vary, and I hope you enjoy the one you've been given. Even made one for the waitlister.

Spoiler: Harvey; Electric Sheep (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jack Mason; Bugout Bag (click to show/hide)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 11, 2014, 06:05:28 am »

What can I say? This is promising! Can't wait to start playing again!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33