Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Spiders? Spiders.  (Read 13800 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Spiders? Spiders.
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 12:25:04 pm »

Mostly, I am trying to give it the ability to move more than a meter without running out of energy instantaneously. At this size, only some sort of internally contained photosynthesis makes sense to me, as it doesn't require the creature to find and consume massive amounts of prey to keep going, something that is nearly impossible at this size. Keep in mind that I'm trying to fit this creature into a specific LEGO theme, as well, which sets some limitations.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2014, 12:48:16 pm »

I remember a story i read once where the atmosphere had basically frozen. The protagonists had to dig up oxygen and let it thaw inside their shelter in order to be able to breath without oxygen masks. Lots of people had frozen solid, and it was apparently very creepy (the protagonist aws a youngish child) seeing the statues that had been people everywhere. The story was written so you expected them to come to life or something.

If you look at deep sea creatures, which are porbably the closest comparioson on earth (very cold, little oxygen, little life) most of them are very stationary for the greatest amount of time and a lot just feed off the debris floating down from above. Without an atmosphere the rays of the star would be very harsh and dangerous, maybe beyond the ability of large creatures to survive. Bacteria can adapt to high radiation, but tardigrades are the largest creature that can survive open space - effectively what the creature is in - without harm, and they basically just go dormant.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:59 pm »

Wouldn't the atmosphere precipitate out over time and end up coating the surface as a solid?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »

Yeah, it had formed layers of the different gases.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:06 pm »

So what was the deal? There were people, which means at one point it had to be habitable. Did the sun go out? I assume even relatively low levels of solar output would still be enough to prevent these gasses from freezing.

Also I just learned that oxygen freezes at a lower temperature than nitrogen. I had assumed the opposite. THE MORE YOU KNOW!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2014, 01:08:51 pm »

It had been thrown out of orbit of the sun, as far as I recall by a rogue planetoid that destabilised the system. It was quite a old story, and no doubt was not perfect science. But a good read nonetheless, though I can't remember the name.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:18 pm »

only some sort of internally contained photosynthesis makes sense to me
I have absolutely no clue what this could possibly mean, but every explanation I can guess at is obviously and blatantly impossible.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2014, 01:23:11 pm »

Obviously bioluminescence that the light is used for photosynthesis, producing infinite energy. Problem physics?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2014, 01:31:32 pm »

Obviously bioluminescence that the light is used for photosynthesis, producing infinite energy. Problem physics?

Photosynthesis does not use just light. Light is the source of energy, yes, but that energy needs to be put into something useable, which means you need raw materials for the chemicals you use to synthesize the end-product, in case of plants - carbon dioxide. From, you know, the atmosphere. Also oxygen, but that aside. And water.

It would be much easier if it wasn't 'no atmosphere, period', just something humans wouldn't want to breathe, such as ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, mineral acids or whatever, that you can work with.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »

Internally contained photosynthesis is what plants do, right? It's not internally contained light - although that would be awesome. Glowing plants!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2014, 01:33:20 pm »

Photosynthesis does not use just light. Light is the source of energy, yes, but that energy needs to be put into something useable, which means you need raw materials for the chemicals you use to synthesize the end-product, in case of plants - carbon dioxide. From, you know, the atmosphere. Also oxygen, but that aside. And water.

It would be much easier if it wasn't 'no atmosphere, period', just something humans wouldn't want to breathe, such as ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, mineral acids or whatever, that you can work with.
My statement, of course, was meant to be scientifically accurate.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

Or he could live in a planet awash with hydrocarbons and process it into diesel with a stomach-like organ.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »

Internally contained photosynthesis is what plants do, right? It's not internally contained light - although that would be awesome. Glowing plants!

If we go by plants, then 'internally contained' is redundant, not like there's any other kind of photosynthesis.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

I have a question about spiders (yay re-railing the topic)
What spiders should I be worried about in the SW United States, and what spiders should I be friendly with? Or insects in general that will do organic pest control through nom nom nom?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:49 pm »

Brown recluses, maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10