Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Spiders? Spiders.  (Read 13809 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Spiders? Spiders.
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2014, 04:27:15 pm »

So, further spider questions for the project.
What color is spider venom usually? And does a spider's leg become noticeably thicker than it is at the tip at any point?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2014, 05:01:02 pm »

1) Colorless, but probably depends on species
2) All spider legs taper from base to point, but not always noticeably.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:42 pm »

If it has eight legs and a bubble butt everyone's gonna think SPIDER whether it's anatomically correct or not. I'm pretty sure as long as you make it as big as possible everyone will be happy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:36 pm »

After some searching the internet and watching a segment about the Carbonian period, turns out the biggest spider ever was slightly larger than a cat
Yep; exoskeletons stop working when you get up in size. And way before that, they get super-fragile. Large-ish tarantulas, like those sold as pets, really can't survive falls very well. Their exoskeletons tend to crack, resulting in death.

Part of that is the classic square-cube laws relating to material strength, part of it is fluid dynamics relating to the fact that spiders move via hydraulics.

It's also why you don't have jumping spiders bigger than about the size in that video; they would have a lot of trouble getting enough speed and strength to take down larger prey, while injury would be much more common and deadly. Most are only a couple millimeters in size.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2014, 10:54:41 am »

Even worse is the fact that a spider's nervous system starts to get in the way of it's breathing at large sizes. But then again, what I'm doing is making an alien spider out of LEGO (at a scale which makes it 300 by 550 meters at least); realism doesn't come into it. Incidentally, does anyone know whether pneumatics work better than hydraulics? Otherwise I'm going to have to come up with an alternative movement system that works better at that size myself.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2014, 12:06:54 pm »

Look at wikipedia. I think that hydraulics are better for larger-scale, but pneumatics are better for man-portable or smaller.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:04 pm »

Steam, definitely.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2014, 04:00:41 pm »

Speaking of giant spiders, I'm working on a LEGO model of a spider which is approximately Shelob's size in real life. So I'm wondering, in the interest of scientific accuracy, are there jumping spiders that have functional spinnerets as well?
All spiders (as far as I've seen) have functioning spinnerets (and some have silk glands elsewhere in the body). Jumping spiders don't build webs, but they do use drag lines for more accurate jumping over long distances, making themselves a temporary stabilizing "tail" of silk. It also allows them to more precisely control where they stop by parachuting it out a bit and changing their momentum for mid-air flight control.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2014, 04:02:32 pm »

...A..spider thread. Ahh.

PTW...
Beware, somebody has a tarantula avatar now. It's not particularly scary, but it might be a bit of a shock if it catches you off-guard.

Did somebody mention me!?
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »

Might be someone else with a tarantula avatar.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2014, 12:24:58 am »

Well I guess this forum is nothing but very splendid princesses of various noble backgrounds to be so dreafully concerned with spiders, as in actual arachnid spiders that are just in the house or whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqZNMvIEHhs

The term 'spiders' always reminds me of this song though, but I think the word is symbolic for something else in this case.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2014, 11:30:13 am »

All spiders (as far as I've seen) have functioning spinnerets (and some have silk glands elsewhere in the body). Jumping spiders don't build webs, but they do use drag lines for more accurate jumping over long distances, making themselves a temporary stabilizing "tail" of silk. It also allows them to more precisely control where they stop by parachuting it out a bit and changing their momentum for mid-air flight control.

Excellent. At this size there's no reason for it to build webs anyway, and I've heard stories about spiders using "parachutes". Also, I've  finally figured out how to motorize the last of the necessary mechanical features for the Arachnia malabdomen (the system to inject poison).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:40 am »

Excellent. At this size there's no reason for it to build webs anyway, and I've heard stories about spiders using "parachutes". Also, I've  finally figured out how to motorize the last of the necessary mechanical features for the Arachnia malabdomen (the system to inject poison).

Are you in charge of making props for Spiderman's gritty reboot?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »

Heh heh, nope ;). I don't even like Spiderman. I can tell you this, though: checking the specifications of the program I'm using shows that the project will hit the upper limit of the program's capabilities long before it's done. I'm going to have to switch to a different one just to get it done right.

Any suggestions for a logical energy source for a creature on a planet without an atmosphere? I want to keep the breathing holes, but the only logical (and considering the "base" color of the spider, most fitting) way seems to be photosynthesis.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »

Why does the planet not have an atmosphere?

If it's forzen, what you could do is have large amounts of o2 or some other gas exist in the surface layer and have the critters dig for it, and have stationary critters that produce it through photosynthesis (and then store it) for other critters to leech off, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10