Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 19331 times)

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2013, 11:12:20 am »

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I've been curious about something... How is their "SteamOS" which is based on Linux going to be compatible with 90% of their library? Even if they do something fancy like tucking WINE into their OS, there are lots of compatibility issues... I don't see it gaining too much traction unless they can address that somehow.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2013, 11:22:38 am »

Technically it's capable with 90% of their library because it has a build in streaming option. Any game that doesn't run on SteamOS can be played on a nearby windows device and streamed to the steambox.

Don't know if they're going to develop support too. Doubt it, as Valve has a tendency for playing the long game.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:54 am »

Technically it's capable with 90% of their library because it has a build in streaming option. Any game that doesn't run on SteamOS can be played on a nearby windows device and streamed to the steambox.

Don't know if they're going to develop support too. Doubt it, as Valve has a tendency for playing the long game.

EW. My enthusiasm for this dropped drastically.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »

From the linked article:

Users who poke around the SteamOS can still get to Linux, though. They can also load Windows and productivity software onto a Steam Machine and use it for work as well as play.

So if there were any windows games you really wanted to play you could probably set up your Steambox to dual-boot into windows.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »

From the linked article:

Users who poke around the SteamOS can still get to Linux, though. They can also load Windows and productivity software onto a Steam Machine and use it for work as well as play.

So if there were any windows games you really wanted to play you could probably set up your Steambox to dual-boot into windows.

Why bother?

Prediction: There will be few/no SteamOS-only games. Unless Valve is selling machines at a loss, you'll likely be able to go out and get more bang for your buck buying from a different OEM or building yourself.

Positives: You've got a computer, not a gaming system. You saved money. If you desire (not sure why you would, we've already established that there probably won't be SteamOS-only games), you can install SteamOS on it.

Negatives: Your new computer... doesn't have the Steambox case badge?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2013, 12:03:41 am »

Prediction: There will be few/no SteamOS-only games. Unless Valve is selling machines at a loss, you'll likely be able to go out and get more bang for your buck buying from a different OEM or building yourself.

Positives: You've got a computer, not a gaming system. You saved money. If you desire (not sure why you would, we've already established that there probably won't be SteamOS-only games), you can install SteamOS on it.

Negatives: Your new computer... doesn't have the Steambox case badge?

They've already said that they won't be pushing for SteamOS exclusive games.

I like the idea of the steam box in that I think it would be great to have a dedicated entertainment computer in the livingroom. But I'd never get one for the reasons you've mentioned. It'd be much more practical to make my own machine that suits my personal needs and budget.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:59 pm »

So a quick update if anyone is interested but aren't completely in the loop.

Valve has announced that they plan to ship the 300 beta units today to the chosen few who will be announced in around 4 hours. Valve has also stated that it's now only open to residents of the US only, citing "regulatory hurdles". This is understandable and even somewhat predictable but still disappointing to fans outside of the US, prompting quite the outcry in the comment section.

The beta units will ship with the prototype steambox, some free games, the controller and the SteamOS. The SteamOS will be made public "when the prototype hardware ships" although it isn't recommended for users who aren't "intrepid Linux hacker(s)" for now.
Valve states more information about non-prototype steamboxes will be announced at CES on the 6th of January.

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1930088300965516570
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:29:55 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »

Valve has also stated that it's now only open to residents of the US only, citing "regulatory hurdles".

Boo, I was hoping to get a hold of those sexy looking controllers. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:43 pm »

Valve has also stated that it's now only open to residents of the US only, citing "regulatory hurdles". This is understandable and even somewhat predictable but still disappointing to fans outside of the US, prompting quite the outcry in the comment section.
Well yes and no. Yes, I can understand that there are regulations that could inhibit the ease of which an international scheme is executed.
But I'm afraid I cannot see any reason why these limitations would only be visible this late in production.
The immediate conclusion my mind jumps to is that they're so utterly incompetent they didn't bother checking on the legal side of things until now, which frankly, makes Steam (particularly the OS) much less desirable to develop on.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:52 am »

Turns out the Steam Controller design is being overhauled. The touchscreen has been removed and now it's going to have traditional a/b/x/y/ controls plus a pseudo d-pad. It's rather like an inverted playstation controller currently.
The original purpose of the touchscreen was to allow quick changes to the four buttons surrounding the touchscreen so it could simulate things like 1-9 weapon selection or other actions that generally involved a lot of key presses. Beta testers complained that they spent too much time looking down at the controller to figure out what to press. It's worth it to note that the proposed overlay that was meant to go over games to address this issue was never programed by Valve so the testers never knew/used this feature.

Personally I find this news both good and bad. While I said for a while that I believe the Steam Controller would likely do poorly for some genres like the spectacle fighter, I'm not quite sure that completely throwing out the touchscreen and replacing it with standard industry controls is a perfect solution. It's also likely that this will greatly lower the cost of the controller but I do have wonder if people are being too reactionary with controller design. We've had a/b/x/y + d-pad since the SNES days and dual control sticks since the playstation 1. To me it doesn't feel like controllers have advanced all that much.

I really have to wonder if this is going to impact the Steam Controllers original (rather lofty) goal of being able to simulate almost any PC game with the controller and if track pads are good enough to basically sell a controller on their own, it's already easy enough to buy a cheap wired xbox controller and plug it into a PC.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57:59 am »

... if track pads are good enough to basically sell a controller on their own ...

I would buy one just to try it out, but I have a feeling it would be languishing in my e-junk drawer before long.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:23 pm »

... if track pads are good enough to basically sell a controller on their own ...

I have a feeling it would be languishing in my e-junk drawer before long.

My thoughts exactly.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2014, 12:21:24 pm »

I still want it.  :)  Not sure I like the new layout though, and it really should have something in the middle, even if its just a start/select button or a mousewheel or something.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2014, 12:53:57 pm »

I preferred the old one, both in terms of looks and the potential of function.
This overhaul is just about indistinguishable from any other controller.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:02 pm »

I preferred the old one, both in terms of looks and the potential of function.
This overhaul is just about indistinguishable from any other controller.

I applaud them for trying crazy new things... but if those new things truly aren't working, staying the course doesn't make any sense.

I've not used a controller for a long time, so I guess I'm a little more open minded.  I've been considering getting a USB controller, as some games are set up to prefer them.  I just hope they offer a wired final version; I'd rather draw 5 volts from my desktop than have to fuss with batteries and/or recharging.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11