Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE  (Read 3674 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »

So we have mice. A lot of mice. Like.... we've been putting out traps for years and it hasn't dented them at all seemingly, although they haven't been super common either. It's entirely possible it's different groups of mice as our house is quite old and likely not terribly mouseproof. That's beside the point. How do we get rid of them? Lethally or unlethally, we don't care.

We've already boxed up all our food and made sure to put dogfood out only when the dog is actually going to eat it. And what this has done, mostly, is make them leave the back room and scurry around the house. Probably for crumbs. So... yeah.

How chase mice away? I've heard peppermint is great for making them get out of the house, can anyone else confirm?

And a side question is: if we do indeed manage to shut them off from all their food, will they leave and find another home to terrorize, or will they just starve to death in the walls and bring the bottle flies around? :-\

Thanks in advance.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
Re: MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:33 pm »

This sounds sick, but inorder to wipe them out, you need to find the nest and smash their babies. (light on fire/chop up) Whatever, just kill the babies and the mothers.

They breed faster than we breathe. Not really, but you get the point.

Destroy their nests, kill the women and children mice, optional - capture baby mice and raise them as gladiator mice.

Seriously, except gladiator mice.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:07:45 am »

I... uh... I guess this was the right place to go? Man, I don't have words anymore. No judgement, but... man.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 12:23:50 am »

Cat. Not for actually catching them, but for spreading it's scent around the house. Mice don't like it much.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:25 am »

Cat. Not for actually catching them, but for spreading it's scent around the house. Mice don't like it much.
This. Even if you can borrow a cat for the day it'll work.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:23:12 am »

This. Even if you can borrow a cat for the day it'll work.
I have three cats. I have only ever seen a mouse in the home once, and that was because they brought it to me themselves.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:06 am »

Yeah there's 3 cats in this house and the 3 mice trapped last week weren't bothered in the slightest. You may have better luck... or you may not. Beware.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:42:05 am »

This sounds sick, but inorder to wipe them out, you need to find the nest and smash their babies. (light on fire/chop up) Whatever, just kill the babies and the mothers.

It's the only way to be sure
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 04:15:52 pm »

Cat, check. Might give that a shot, might be able to borrow one for a bit from a family member. Finding and smashing up the nest is a last resort because as far as we're aware it's in a wall somewhere and we don't really want to go tearing down walls throughout the house looking for it until we're sure of where it is.

I hate to be a broken record, but has anyone had success with peppermint? I've heard it can make them leave on their own if you spread it around enough. And the "Will they leave or just starve to death" question still stands, although I understand if there's not really a solid answer for that one.

Thanks again everyone!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:42:47 pm »

Probably a little of both. A lot like humans mice have independent thought processes and different ways of looking at problems. There's a good chance some will starve and some will leave, though mice are pretty resourceful, they might find a way to make do.
Mice have also been known to resort to cannibalism.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 04:54:10 pm »

First: All those who say cats are a good idea are clearly insurgents' slaves.

Second:

They breed faster than we breathe. Not really, but you get the point.

Destroy their nests, kill the women and children mice, optional - capture baby mice and raise them as gladiator mice.

Seriously, except gladiator mice.
This. This is what you need to do.

Third: If you want to try a more unorthodox approach, get some snakes. Snakes will get rid of the mice quick.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 04:58:21 pm »

Third: If you want to try a more unorthodox approach, get some snakes. Snakes will get rid of the mice quick slowly, very slowly.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:10:13 am »

The snake's various biproducts are deterrent to mice, however. As are the scents associated wit cats and other mouse eating predators. (Unless the mice are loaded up with toxoplasmosis gondii germs anyway.)

You might want to describe where and how you place your traps, and what you bait them with. May people don't properly place the traps.

Mice have very bad eyesight. Like- REALLY bad. They mostly use their sensory whiskers and senses of smell to navigate. This means the favor being right against walls, and in tight fitting spaces, where their whiskers brush the walls. That is where you should place traps.

Again, mice have great senses of smell. Smasher style traps need to be thuroughly cleaned after a kill, or other mice will avoid the trap. Also, despite what cartoons and hollywood say, mice don't like cheese. They prefer seeds that are rich in oils, like sunflower seeds, or peanuts. Peanut butter is the usual bait of choice, but sunflower seed cake will work well too if you can find it. Always wash your hands aggressively before setting traps, and especially after emptying a trap that's made a kill.

If you don't have pets, (and thus don't have to worry about scent marking), get some canned "deer repellent". It has compounds in it that are formulated to mimic the scents that carnivores leave, which deterrs deer. It can also deter mice if formulated for rodents as well. (Squirrels and rabbits). If you have pets though, it can cause them to start scent marking and peeing inappropriately, so use with caution.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:20:39 am »

Where do I get what you're on?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:25:10 am »

Where do I get what you're on?

I'd wager his arms are ok, if you catch my drift.
Pages: [1] 2 3