Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856492 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4005 on: November 16, 2022, 10:41:42 am »

Oh no! The enemy trapped us in a sealed chamber with only a gas vent by the floor!

So the next update is letting gas pass through vents.

Is putting a bong on the other side of a vent and getting an invading army incredibly stoned so that they move and fight slower considered a war crime?

It's only a war crime if you put a stack of poisoned cookies in the next room
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: November 16, 2022, 07:33:23 pm »

Is putting a bong on the other side of a vent and getting an invading army incredibly stoned so that they move and fight slower considered a war crime?

Sounds more like a service to me.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4007 on: November 17, 2022, 08:05:27 pm »

Perhaps this is Sylvester explicitly acknowledging the hotbox style of defense. And then he can nerf the hell out of it without breaking everything else. ::)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: November 18, 2022, 12:55:54 am »

Got informed that if I accepted a quest to save a dude two waves would spawn.

I wasn't in the best position, but it seemed manageable and he had useful skills, so I accepted.

I get to the end of the quest... and two waves spawn at once.
Shit.
The first wave is impids, and 75% of my strength (since my tree pruner who had like 3 clawers died to plague) is my vampire who is afraid of fire.
Double shit.

Wait, they are from factions that are enemies! Aw yeah. Kill each other bitches.

I pop a few shots off, but I mostly let them fight to the death... at which point about two thirds of the impids remain.
They knock all my dudes but one out, and decide to kidnap my KOed dudes. They get one off the map. My last awake dude drops his gun and runs the final dude holding my vampire down on foot about five tiles from the exit.
I rescue him, and the rest of my knocked out dudes. Everyone aside from a kid I have is pretty badly injured, but my awake dude has fast clotting so he's 100% fit and ready to treat the other two. One is dead in a few hours, and the other is a vampire with a single bleeding wound (and a bunch of burn wounds).

Luckily they all get back in time, and the (lethal in 4 hours) wounds on my one dude are all bandaged and everyone is fine.
Well, except one tiny wound is left, at which point my doctor has a mental breakdown and slips into a coma.

I am then forced to watch over three days as the people with super tiny bleeding wounds that stop them from recovering just sit there unfed.
One starves to death, my vampire slips into a deathrest coma (because he is ya know, starving to death) and then finally my third dude who IS STILL IN A GODAMN COMA starves to death.

The child just sits around watching them slowly starve to death. Ugh.
---
Luckily everything in my new colony is going *much* smoother. The map is better, I got better luck with pawns, pretty much all my professions are filled, and things are just working out better in general.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: November 18, 2022, 07:28:44 pm »

Huh, I wonder if new update will make gas system more modable as well. 1.4 completely removed ability to add custom gases (at least without significant coding) which forced me to deprecate some of my mods.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: November 19, 2022, 05:05:02 am »

Yeah the loss of the Farts mod leaves a big absence in my heart
Love, scriver~

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: November 19, 2022, 02:08:40 pm »

Huh, I wonder if new update will make gas system more modable as well. 1.4 completely removed ability to add custom gases (at least without significant coding) which forced me to deprecate some of my mods.

Wait they removed that? So something like Pawnmorpher can't have the mutagenic gas bombs now? Sad.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: November 19, 2022, 03:37:09 pm »

What is that bloats old saves so much? Space playtrough that i posted screens of few pages back took about 20 years to complete, and by that time fourth speed was equal to first, and save loading time was equal to initial loading time. In addition to semi-related enormous amount of bugs springing up from nowhere. My only guess is records of "statue" events, but even if it is a thing, it probably doesn't affect TPS.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: November 19, 2022, 03:55:26 pm »

From what I've read on the dubs discord, save bloat and performance loss are mostly separate phenomena. That is, a larger save file doesn't necessarily slow down gameplay tps. (A bigger save file will slow down game load, though.)

Regardless, bloat is apparently just because Rimworld keeps records of basically everything from the world that's made, and clears very little of it. E.g. that one design of that one statue you made 15 years ago is still kicking around in the data. RuntimeGC will clean up your save and reduce file size, but its aggression in doing so can clear records/pawns you may not have wanted vaporized.

Rocketman is for improving overall performance, but there are also known performance hogs. Save Our Ship 2 was one of the most notorious ones, though it sounds like it's getting an internal rework / performance pass for the 1.4 version? I've never used it, so just going on hearsay.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: November 21, 2022, 04:29:38 pm »

Guess i'll have to get a XML editor.  ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stumbled on Xeva faction mod. Probably won't play with it, but cheesy engrish weapon decriptions are entertaining, at least.  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:18:29 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:27 am »

I must say, Ideology is pretty fun so far.
Enjoying a playthrough with perma-stoned transhumanist tree cannibals
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: December 01, 2022, 06:18:26 pm »

Techno-elves then?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: December 01, 2022, 09:14:45 pm »

I am in the process of giving them all pawntech ears.
Also, tamed thrumbos are just slightly OP.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:16:33 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: December 15, 2022, 05:27:43 pm »

Haha.
My blind salamander (vanilla expanded caves mod) developed a royal jelly addiction (not sure if vanilla or vanilla expanded insectoids).
It didn't get anymore royal jelly, and now the lack of it has turned it into a (tame) megaspider.
Awesome. I can create an army of megaspiders by turning harmless small critters into drug addicts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: December 16, 2022, 02:19:45 am »

That's vanilla expanded I believe, they have a special jelly that drops from some insectoids that do that
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 280