Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856447 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3960 on: October 13, 2022, 09:41:18 am »

Android tiers is okay, but makes too much of itself. Adds two undisablable andoid factions and then adds andoids to every vanilla faction on top of it.

I skip Android Tiers myself as well; a bit too much bloat and has some bug/compatibility issues. If you're looking for android colonists Rim-Robots_ is a good alternative, in my opinion.

Similarly, LTS Tenants is a simpler (and less buggy / fewer compatibility issues) version of Hospitality. Tenants does randomly add a few bits of equipment, though.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: October 15, 2022, 03:23:32 pm »

Android tiers is okay, but makes too much of itself. Adds two undisablable andoid factions and then adds andoids to every vanilla faction on top of it.

I skip Android Tiers myself as well; a bit too much bloat and has some bug/compatibility issues. If you're looking for android colonists Rim-Robots_ is a good alternative, in my opinion.

Similarly, LTS Tenants is a simpler (and less buggy / fewer compatibility issues) version of Hospitality. Tenants does randomly add a few bits of equipment, though.

Nah, I was sort of adding to scriver's post, not looking for alternatives.

DLC releases on 21st. It was inevitable. They told that child growth is sped up, but still didn't say by how much. Jerks. !!Upgrades!! are balanced by hunger rate, of all things. Nice ones increase it, bad ones reduce it. It doesn't make sense. But then, nothing does in this game. I am immidiately curious how much !!upgrades!! you can stuff into one person, and whether one can make him starve faster than he can eat.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:51:58 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: October 15, 2022, 05:30:05 pm »

Eat? i'm planing to use psycasts an suck the hunger out of bandits.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3963 on: October 16, 2022, 09:38:11 am »

!!Upgrades!! are balanced by hunger rate, of all things. Nice ones increase it, bad ones reduce it. It doesn't make sense. But then, nothing does in this game.
My initial thought on that description is that they're linked into the metabolism. You could think of it as the body is a furnace that uses food for fuel, and the upgrades are another component that needs heat.
But that's just spitballing the theory.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: October 16, 2022, 12:06:24 pm »

I'm bit cautious because Ideology has been extremely disappointing, but at least Biotech seems to be more similar to Royalty which was content DLC (though admittedly that also had massive balancing issues at the beginning)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: October 16, 2022, 12:22:20 pm »

DLC releases on 21st. It was inevitable. They told that child growth is sped up, but still didn't say by how much. Jerks. !!Upgrades!! are balanced by hunger rate, of all things. Nice ones increase it, bad ones reduce it. It doesn't make sense. But then, nothing does in this game. I am immidiately curious how much !!upgrades!! you can stuff into one person, and whether one can make him starve faster than he can eat.

Based on the time periods listed in the preview (3, 7, 10, 13) it sounds like growth isn't really sped up that much, just that a child can start pulling their weight long before their teens.

As to the genetic traits, there's a max capacity thing (the top icon, the blue one), and the bottom of the particular screenshot shows a maximum of 10 points. Furthermore, based on the ratio shown, I'd guess that maximum hunger rate would probably be a little over 2x the base rate. That said, there's already a mod out that increases the capacity cap.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3966 on: October 16, 2022, 12:33:21 pm »

I wonder what made Tynan do a U-Turn on the matter of adding children the game. Multiple times in the past he said he wouldn't add them at all.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: October 16, 2022, 12:35:17 pm »

I wonder what made Tynan do a U-Turn on the matter of adding children the game. Multiple times in the past he said he wouldn't add them at all.

Mod popularity. Can he make money on children? Probably.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: October 16, 2022, 02:19:21 pm »

For some reason, I have an inkling feeling that him going to add kids to Rimworld is going be an utter disaster.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: October 16, 2022, 04:51:51 pm »

Time until someone works out how to produce industrial output via warcrimes committed on babies?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3970 on: October 16, 2022, 05:13:45 pm »

I would guess the same amount of time for people to start harvesting organs from prisoners?
Suppose this would involve a specific set of circumstances to minimize the time between births ???

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: October 16, 2022, 11:24:58 pm »

Wasn't that a mod? Oh yes, there is a mod just like that.

Except for the potential for outrage, I suppose it's fine as long as they don't make breaking changes after most modders have lost interest like Terraria apparently did, though it's starting to show.

[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: October 17, 2022, 10:04:34 am »

What happened with Terraria?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: October 17, 2022, 10:25:37 am »

I think JWNoctis is overstating the impact on modded Terraria, but about 2 years ago, terraria received it’s 1.4 update which was a fantastic addition to the base game, but it reworked the engine in minor ways, breaking almost all of the mods made for the previous 1.3 version. Tmodloader, a fan-made modding api that almost all modders rely on, took more than a year to port to the current version, so the process of porting old 1.3 mods has only recently started.

It seems like the developers of most of the big mods are still passionate about the game though. Fargo’s souls, calamity, and Terraria Overhaul are all getting ports to 1.4 so I doubt it’s there’s going to be that big of a loss once things finally settle down

Even if it is, the 1.3 version will remain available to download.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: October 21, 2022, 05:33:30 pm »

New expansion is out!

Enjoying what's there so far. Being able to start with a custom genetic makeup is definitely an early game-changer.

I had one of those "travelers in need" quests pop up, some mole-lady and a child wanted 4 medicine. It was at that time that a boomalope went manhunter... so of course I closed the colony doors. Didn't expect the child to pull a reverse-suicide bomber and walk up to that boomalope.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 10:32:24 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 280