Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853746 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #345 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:45 pm »

Combat is pretty fun, but I'm looking forward to having more to do with the rest of the game. More food types, more crafting, more interaction with neutral parties beyond trading with ships or arresting random people to force them to join you, that sort of thing.

Oh, and maybe some sort of family system.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 12, 2013, 10:36:08 pm »

Some kind of challenge aside from endless waves of raiders would make the game much more worth playing, I think. The only other remotely dangerous thing is the ever-present fire hazard because everything you build seems to be constructed out of wood, gasoline, and short circuits.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:34 pm »

Some kind of challenge aside from endless waves of raiders would make the game much more worth playing, I think. The only other remotely dangerous thing is the ever-present fire hazard because everything you build seems to be constructed out of wood, gasoline, and short circuits.
Again, the firebreak floors seem to greatly reduce fire hazard. But yeah, the raiders are weaksauce when you start doing the exploding rooms thing I suggested. I just had a full 30 raiders attack my settlement, for which I had 2 pairs of charges set up. By the time those 2 pairs had been fired off, there were two raiders left, who were outside whacking my gibbets. Not a single shot was fired during the entire engagement, either by me or by the raiders.

Remember folks, guns don't kill people; boobytrapped rooms rigged with explosives to protect against gunmen kill people.

Spoiler: The "Valiant" Defense (click to show/hide)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »

Clever, never tought of doing something like this, well i did think about something similar tho but sadly i didnt have time to implement it. I was having fun exploding all refuse in my dump pile tho with explosive :).

What i did was make a big wall outside my base with a single entrace, in a natural chokepoint, with 8 upgraded autocannon, thats a lot of bullet believe me.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »

Everyone already played and know all that a new player has to say, but oh, well..

Got the game yesterday and I must say this game is cruel sometimes, which is awesome.
In my first colony I didn't read anything about the game and just tried to survive. One by one my colonists left due to low happiness, and I ended up with one guy. But in my first plays I always experiment stuff with the intent to learn and fail, so I started over and read the in-game help  :P.

So my first true attempt went like this:
Managed to get 5 colonists and a small dwarfy cave outpost, just to have 5~7 raiders come in blasting everything after some days, IN THE EXACT DAMN TIME my batteries died. 2 guys survived.
One of them - luckly Gabes, the one I RPed like it was me - took nades and shots and got incapacitated, I used my last guy (Duncan, a pirate that I got from a slave trader) to rescue him, fainted in front of the raiders. Duncan saves Gabes and somehow manages to scare the last raiders.
Gabes now needs a doctor. There's no doctors, just the pirate. I use the pirate to arrest one old colonist that gave up on the colony, with no success in recruiting him. I start considering to start a new game, when suddenly Gabes comes back from the dead (I have no idea how, since he was incapacitated and needed a doctor, and had barely any health). Now I got two colonist and a wrecked outpost (it's only a little cave, actually..).
Few days later, 2 raiders come in and Gabes and the pirate, wounded as hell, manage to beat them up. I needed to tactics my way out of this one..

I loved the survival feel of the game and how bad I felt when I almost lost everything due to my own oversights (I had only played one hour, come on! but maybe I should have used those 3500+ metal I had..), and also the awe when I saw 'myself' reviving. I already thought "meh, that guy is dead. can I go on with only a pirate?".

I still need to manage to build a decent, real colony, but I like the game already. :)
A screen of my place (some bodies were already buried):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:30 am »

Come join me and laugh/learn from mistakes I do

75+ Videos and over 18+hrs of content

Colony 9 is now 16 episodes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBdDp6fMN_Y

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 04, 2013, 10:26:47 am »

-snip-
I know you're a regular here at the forums, but doesn't this seem kinda...spammy?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2013, 11:45:46 am »

-snip-
I know you're a regular here at the forums, but doesn't this seem kinda...spammy?

SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL

This game still needs tons of work before it's much of a game.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2013, 07:47:49 pm »

You sound kind of spammy. Also, no need to post a link when you have one in your signature.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 05, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »

You sound kind of spammy. Also, no need to post a link when you have one in your signature.
While i do agree he sound a bit spammy, he posted a link to the video while his signature is to the *user* page. He sure could have worded the request better but myself i am very forgiving for these kind of derailement !/? (!/? stand for not sure about the right word here or if it includes typpo, there should really be a sign for that like :) mean you are happy )
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 05, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »

While i do agree he sound a bit spammy, he posted a link to the video while his signature is to the *user* page. He sure could have worded the request better but myself i am very forgiving for these kind of derailement !/? (!/? stand for not sure about the right word here or if it includes typpo, there should really be a sign for that like :) mean you are happy )

He has a running topic in the "Play with buddies" subforum from October 6th. Posting there AND anywhere else is spam.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 18, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »

any words for non alpha backers?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 18, 2014, 01:32:44 pm »

He has a running topic in the "Play with buddies" subforum from October 6th. Posting there AND anywhere else is spam.

The really funny thing...he made one post...and it could have been left at that...then people reply to him multiple times calling him spammy...and make more of a deal of it. $10 says if no one said anything...the world would have just been a better place...I understand not liking spam...but there is such thing as being over zealous on the matter...

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 19, 2014, 12:07:16 am »

The really funny thing...he made one post...and it could have been left at that...then people reply to him multiple times calling him spammy...and make more of a deal of it. $10 says if no one said anything...the world would have just been a better place...I understand not liking spam...but there is such thing as being over zealous on the matter...

See, it's partially how he did it. If he had just posted that he made a video, that would've been fine. But instead, he stretches it out across four lines as a full advertisement. He also has a link in his signature, and in PWYB.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:55 am »

Should be an update before the end of the month, according to Tynan on the forums.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 280