Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856503 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3060 on: August 30, 2018, 05:22:39 am »

inb4 wooden interiors
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: August 30, 2018, 05:30:59 am »

That only means they'll be easy and cheap to replace after they solutioned themselves.

I've been playing the new start while waiting for mods to update. Turns out trying to fight raiders with wooden clubs is a really bad idea.
Love, scriver~

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3062 on: August 30, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »

If you're playing in an inhospitable climate, it could be that there's no plant life on the map, and they're actually raiding your food.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: August 30, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »

Nah, all they did after downing me was kidnapping me, I had basically no food.

I had figured steel was too valuable a commodity (since I was alone and mining is a real time eater) to make weapons out of - totally wrong. Turns out if you can't defend yourself it doesn't matter how much steel you have in store.
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: August 30, 2018, 10:24:51 pm »

I think he was talking about the animals.

Speaking of, if there is plant life on your map, and you don't immediately hunt any muffalo you see, there soon won't be. It's been a while since I played, so I don't know if it was an update or I just forgot, but Muffalo are fucking voracious. I have but four of the things, one a child, and they've picked clean quite a sizable pen. The Turkey pen is mostly rock and stone since I shunted them into a cave, so I get why they occassionally start starving, but even with three other haygrass fields, and a pretty decent sized field of regular grass for the muffalo, I can barely keep up with them.

And Erin is pregnant with a calf, so I guess it's time to designate a massive fucking haygrass field and hope Father and Doc can keep up with the planting demands.

And then Randy Random decides to throw me a toxic fallout situation. Right before winter hits. Lovely. I have enough food for my human population, but I fear it may be time to slaughter the turkeys.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: August 31, 2018, 02:53:19 am »

I don't use any mods and if anything my base has the least plant life on the map. Haven't had any problems for years. Maybe it's related to the new update?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: August 31, 2018, 06:30:09 am »

Beta 19 is out despite saying that the next update would be 1.0, and it looks like someone's prayers were answered on the leather thing - it's now categorized by type rather than animal. Also added are bridges and new turrets, as well as the ability to craft prosthetics, bionics, and grenades, among other things.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: August 31, 2018, 07:21:54 am »

Quests seem to have been rebalance in one if the latest releases to not pitch your barely one-year-old, 4-5 people colony against 5-7 shotgun and hunting rifle wielding enemies. So far I've been able to complete three whole quests with only one or two of my colonists.

That you get a report on how many enemies there are at the quest target site is also nice.
Love, scriver~

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: August 31, 2018, 11:40:38 pm »

Speaking of, if there is plant life on your map, and you don't immediately hunt any muffalo you see, there soon won't be. It's been a while since I played, so I don't know if it was an update or I just forgot, but Muffalo are fucking voracious. I have but four of the things, one a child, and they've picked clean quite a sizable pen. The Turkey pen is mostly rock and stone since I shunted them into a cave, so I get why they occassionally start starving, but even with three other haygrass fields, and a pretty decent sized field of regular grass for the muffalo, I can barely keep up with them.

And Erin is pregnant with a calf, so I guess it's time to designate a massive fucking haygrass field and hope Father and Doc can keep up with the planting demands.

You don't need to designate massive fields, you can use this spreadsheet instead:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tjsa_Rw_sDz0IOsFY5WMZ_DAs_sx0iAVS0EfgNOU3Ns/edit#gid=0

Or if you're lazy:

https://i.imgur.com/pgH2OhN.png

Although check if the hunger values have changed since B18.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 01, 2018, 04:00:52 am »

I dunno about hunger values but I've been noticing that the grass don't seem to regrow very fast (temperate place). I don't know if it's because my animals gobble it up too quickly or because it regrows too slow. But half-a-dozen chickens and a couple of chicks basically turned my base and surroundings into a desert. And that was despite me having forgotten to forbid them from going into my corn and rice fields.

Speaking of animals and eating, though. Rats and squirrels and such eat from your fields if they get the chance, right? Do cats and similar hunt small animals for food in Rimworld, or do they only eat from out of your storage?
Love, scriver~

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:24 am »

Speaking of animals and eating, though. Rats and squirrels and such eat from your fields if they get the chance, right? Do cats and similar hunt small animals for food in Rimworld, or do they only eat from out of your storage?
Cats and predators will hunt smaller animals when they get hungry, and if that's not available they'll get into your food and drug(!) supplies, and they will leave animal zones and even go through locked doors.

You do want to keep your own and wild animals away from your fields. Cats aren't as useful for hunting vermin as they are in Dwarf Fortress though, you need to wall them off.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:36 am »

I dunno about hunger values but I've been noticing that the grass don't seem to regrow very fast (temperate place). I don't know if it's because my animals gobble it up too quickly or because it regrows too slow. But half-a-dozen chickens and a couple of chicks basically turned my base and surroundings into a desert. And that was despite me having forgotten to forbid them from going into my corn and rice fields.

I don't remember the name but I used to use a mod that made grass grow evenly across the whole map instead of propagating edges first, it stopped the bare dirt look.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 02, 2018, 11:36:18 pm »

Human meat is a little too icky (read: too many psych debuffs) for my villagers to actually consume, but I've got a friendly tribe within half a day (read: less time than it takes for meat to spoil) who'll pay good silver for both the meat and the leather.

I figure it's only fair - these were people who were trying to kill us - why should I give them the decency of a proper burial? (Especially since the corpse-stain penalty makes their clothing unsellable.)

Enjoying the new version! I tried (and failed) a couple of naked singleton drops - I have yet to defeat the first raider that gets thrown at me - and going tribal has been a good compromise between increasing difficulty without going overboard.

Edit: Anyone else notice that herbivores are apparently a lot more deadly in this newest version? I've recovered the corpses of several wargs who bled to death due to being gored by muffalo.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:39:31 pm by AlStar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: September 03, 2018, 12:01:53 am »

So you can sell a dead man's skin, but not his clothes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 03, 2018, 01:07:54 am »

I'm having trouble with the old recruit the enemy tactic in the new version... in that I'm having trouble even having any enemies survive. Maybe I should be using knives instead of clubs? That seems... wrong, though.

Oh, and I had walled off one of the exits off of my map. A pirate entered on the other side of it, armed with Molotov cocktails as presumably he had some sort of anti-wall-off logic  telling him that was needed. The thing is, the reason that one exit was blocked off, and ONLY that one, was too keep my colonists from exiting out by it. Or specifically the insect nest right by it.

So basically in narrative conclusion it looks this guy saw a wall, decided he just had to destroy it rather than go around any of the other 20 exits of the map, and then he was insect food.

Related question: How do you guys deal with insects during early game? Any tactic that's workable? For now I just wall off any caves they appear in at the start.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 280