Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856510 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3045 on: August 16, 2018, 12:26:19 am »

...I like weapon to be dangerous. it's balanced by "death rattle" which changes most death into severe comas.
Oh great, so now instead of harmless corpses, a big raid will leave me with a bunch of uselessly crippled mouths to feed?! Lovely. :P

...Actually that sounds a lot like DF. Just with peglegs instead of crutches, I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: August 19, 2018, 11:28:27 am »

Sweet, that's one of those things I've always wondered why they didn't already do (same for DF, even if Animal Type Good has a little bit more memetic status in the DF-sphere). It seems it would be less convoluted to have like, 3-5 different kinds of leather, depending on say thickness, and then however many special case leather types one might add to that.
I see that as dumbing down of game mechanics and complexity, which tends to result in "masterpieces" we've been having lately.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 19, 2018, 11:42:41 am »

Sweet, that's one of those things I've always wondered why they didn't already do (same for DF, even if Animal Type Good has a little bit more memetic status in the DF-sphere). It seems it would be less convoluted to have like, 3-5 different kinds of leather, depending on say thickness, and then however many special case leather types one might add to that.
I see that as dumbing down of game mechanics and complexity, which tends to result in "masterpieces" we've been having lately.
But on the flip side, what particular actual gameplay is gained from having 12 different types of leather that all have the exact same stats across the board but different names?  If anything, it's a bit detrimental in that they clutter up storage due to an inability to stack and make it arbitrarily more difficult to craft because you need the same type of leather to make items: you can't make dusters out of both bearskins and elkhides even if they have the exact same properties.  While 12 is the outlier, there are several other groupings of 5-7 leather types that don't introduce any sort of advantage from a position of gameplay, verisimilitude, or realism that are perfectly reasonable to condense, and even more if you loosen the borders slightly to allow differences of around 0.05 in the multipliers.  This isn't a slippery slope: a large number of identical items in the game that do nothing but clutter up stores and make it impossible to craft for no other reason than game mechanics does not make the game "smarter," nor does condensing them based on their actual properties rather than their names automatically make it "dumber."

I dunno, but it might be weird to hear that coming from me since apropos of the recent conversation on Combat Realism, I actually keep ammo turned on in that mod to juggle different ammo types and calibers.  There, the different items do have gameplay effects: you can't load different caliber munitions into different guns, and different payloads like AP, HP, EMP, incendiary, and so forth have different effects, making it worthwhile to rationalize munitions production and ensure you have the right load-out for your expected foes.  I do like the idea of the leather change, but I haven't tried the 1.0 beta since I like my present mod set. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:49:49 am by Culise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: August 19, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »

just program procedural dusters that can be made from any arbitrary combination of suitable materials, with different amounts of protection and warmth for different body parts, in proportion to the different materials you use

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 20, 2018, 12:51:39 am »

What mechanics? Having 500 pieces of leather and being unable to make anything because you don't have 100 of any particular kind? Having two or three dozen pieces of leather take up as many stockpile tiles as 2000 pieces of steel? Complexity isn't a virtue in and of itself, if it was we'd just sit around untangling christmas lights. The diversity of leather doesn't present the player with an interesting challenge or a clever solution to a problem, it's just clutter. Having fewer but more meaningfully differentiated leathers actually creates complexity; do you consolidate your leather into flimsy but functional patch leather to make clothes or wait for a little more thick hide so you can have some actual defense? Now that it's more accessible you can actually keep track of what kind of leathers you have and which best suit which purposes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: August 20, 2018, 02:57:58 am »

sit around untangling christmas lights

2018 steam vr record seller right there

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3051 on: August 20, 2018, 09:32:46 am »

sit around untangling christmas lights
2018 steam vr record seller right there
I wouldn't buy it, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have fun with it for a few minutes. :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: August 20, 2018, 11:03:13 am »

First DLC is the earbud pocket tangle untangler
Love, scriver~

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: August 20, 2018, 01:38:20 pm »

What mechanics? Having 500 pieces of leather and being unable to make anything because you don't have 100 of any particular kind? Having two or three dozen pieces of leather take up as many stockpile tiles as 2000 pieces of steel? Complexity isn't a virtue in and of itself, if it was we'd just sit around untangling christmas lights. The diversity of leather doesn't present the player with an interesting challenge or a clever solution to a problem, it's just clutter. Having fewer but more meaningfully differentiated leathers actually creates complexity; do you consolidate your leather into flimsy but functional patch leather to make clothes or wait for a little more thick hide so you can have some actual defense? Now that it's more accessible you can actually keep track of what kind of leathers you have and which best suit which purposes.

Well, the issue is really more that the game doesn't handle having all those different leather types very well. In the real world, we'd stack them all together (maybe by general leather properties) and just use whatever when making an item unless we specifically were going for a 100% [X] leather jacket or whatever.

DF does it a bit better, in that bins can hold a ton of leather of whatever types just as easily as a bunch of a single type.

I'd say it is a case of the game not properly handling the complexity, in which case it is fair to say that one or the other needs to change. Either the game needs to deal with the different leathers in a seamless fashion or it needs to reduce the complexity. Having all the complexity but being bad at dealing with it is frankly just poor design.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: August 20, 2018, 03:54:05 pm »

Rimworld could also use storage a la DF as well. Because you have a good point; Rimworld stockpiles tend towards the needlessly large because so many things can't stack with each other. Being able to craft storage containers or bags or whatnot would be a godsend.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: August 20, 2018, 08:52:26 pm »

But on the flip side, what particular actual gameplay is gained from having 12 different types of leather that all have the exact same stats across the board but different names?  If anything, it's a bit detrimental in that they clutter up storage due to an inability to stack and make it arbitrarily more difficult to craft because you need the same type of leather to make items: you can't make dusters out of both bearskins and elkhides even if they have the exact same properties.  While 12 is the outlier, there are several other groupings of 5-7 leather types that don't introduce any sort of advantage from a position of gameplay, verisimilitude, or realism that are perfectly reasonable to condense, and even more if you loosen the borders slightly to allow differences of around 0.05 in the multipliers.  This isn't a slippery slope: a large number of identical items in the game that do nothing but clutter up stores and make it impossible to craft for no other reason than game mechanics does not make the game "smarter," nor does condensing them based on their actual properties rather than their names automatically make it "dumber."

I dunno, but it might be weird to hear that coming from me since apropos of the recent conversation on Combat Realism, I actually keep ammo turned on in that mod to juggle different ammo types and calibers.  There, the different items do have gameplay effects: you can't load different caliber munitions into different guns, and different payloads like AP, HP, EMP, incendiary, and so forth have different effects, making it worthwhile to rationalize munitions production and ensure you have the right load-out for your expected foes.  I do like the idea of the leather change, but I haven't tried the 1.0 beta since I like my present mod set.

Having all that different leather creates a more vivid playing experience, because reading *plump helmet man leather cloak* is infinitely more interesting than "leather cloak (superior)". The first makes your brain engage a little more, maybe wonder what are those plump helmet men and where to find it, wonder what stats does that leather has (even if you know they suck).

It doesn't have to provide an advantage, it's there making the entire game more interesting and immersive to play.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 20, 2018, 08:57:19 pm »

You can still do that with a mixed leather thing though. The meals tell you what ingredients went into it, and they tend to use different ingredients of the same type (like 6 boomalope meat and 4 squirrel meat in a simple meal) if there isn’t enough of the initial one.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 30, 2018, 04:53:57 am »

Help me...

So basically every animal on the map decided to sit right in the middle of my base. Maybe they are breeding or something because there are dozens of squirrels and rabbits, and about 10 boom rats. Several groups of deer too.

What is going on? Is this a buildup to an event where they all go mad at once and make me regret everything?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: August 30, 2018, 05:14:14 am »

Help me...

So basically every animal on the map decided to sit right in the middle of my base. Maybe they are breeding or something because there are dozens of squirrels and rabbits, and about 10 boom rats. Several groups of deer too.

What is going on? Is this a buildup to an event where they all go mad at once and make me regret everything?
Do you have any mods?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 30, 2018, 05:15:21 am »

Boomrats in the middle of them? The solution presents itself.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 280