Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853700 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:42 pm »

Deeper in I have exploratory mining shafts too :P.  The scrap pile used to have cavein problems reminicent of 2D DF as well.

The cavins often destroyed the scrap though...rimworld atom smasher anyone?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »

On a side note, one of the solar panels appears inaccessible.

I hope turrets get a buff though, makes little sense for them to explode*, and range improvements should be able to make.

*Minor explosions ok, but it shouldn't wipe out an entire defensive lane. Other, more interesting effects could be a loss of recoil suppression or something as the gun gets damaged, or something like that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:57 am »

Ok, I'm having a lot of fun with this little, game, too bad the research is too little. Definitely need a type of food that doesn't cause unhappiness. Maybe a new machine that takes paste and turns it into decent food? Then later another research could unlock happy food.

I'm a bit worried that there's no way to get rid of debris or corpses. You just dump it somewhere... but how long until the map is filled with them? It's not like there's a shortage of dead raiders and rocks from destroyed walls...

Some sort of recycler that makes (a tiny amount of) metal from debris. And a soylent green machine :D (or maybe you should be able to make fertilizer)

Also, so far the best defensive structure I've come with is alternating two walls, one sandbag in a line. That way, you can fit 2 shooters per sandbag, and stay pretty well protected.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:38:59 am by Sergius »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2013, 09:54:11 am »

You can double line sandbags for more protection, even triple works, I haven't tested but it might be 4 or 5 sandbags and then you might get a penalty to hit, not too hard to test though.

I pretty much have line of snipers, if the raiders have a lot of snipers as well I just pick off the close combat ones and then run back into my base corridor and switch to pump-shotguns :D

Lots of work is being done to add more stuff into the game, should be very fun once it's more fleshed out, right now I think I have exhausted myself on it, too many moments of "why is the sun coming up at 10pm?...." so I will have a break for a bit and keep my ears closed to any updates so the new surprises will be surprising :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:02 am »

Again, I watch helpless as my thermal generator burns down from the inside. Since it's not out on the rain (because that would be silly) the fire doesn't put itself out at all.

I think the trick is to have as many conduits as possible. Never have like, one generator and a couple of conduits to batteries. Because when the event "power overload" thing happens, one conduit gets chosen randomly, so you don't want it to be the one that's right next to your generator  >:(.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:54 am »

Again, I watch helpless as my thermal generator burns down from the inside. Since it's not out on the rain (because that would be silly) the fire doesn't put itself out at all.

I think the trick is to have as many conduits as possible. Never have like, one generator and a couple of conduits to batteries. Because when the event "power overload" thing happens, one conduit gets chosen randomly, so you don't want it to be the one that's right next to your generator  >:(.
Couldn't your colonists extinguish the fire?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 07, 2013, 11:39:17 am »

Ok, I'm having a lot of fun with this little, game, too bad the research is too little. Definitely need a type of food that doesn't cause unhappiness. Maybe a new machine that takes paste and turns it into decent food? Then later another research could unlock happy food.

I'm a bit worried that there's no way to get rid of debris or corpses. You just dump it somewhere... but how long until the map is filled with them? It's not like there's a shortage of dead raiders and rocks from destroyed walls...

Some sort of recycler that makes (a tiny amount of) metal from debris. And a soylent green machine :D (or maybe you should be able to make fertilizer)

Also, so far the best defensive structure I've come with is alternating two walls, one sandbag in a line. That way, you can fit 2 shooters per sandbag, and stay pretty well protected.

You don't actually have to get rid of bodies. Just leave them all over the place to inspire fear in your colony. It's a matter of time before someone creates a Rimworld boatmurdered ;)

But I'm surprised there's no option to incinerate or funeral pyres.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 07, 2013, 01:03:48 pm »

You don't actually have to get rid of bodies. Just leave them all over the place to inspire fear in your colony. It's a matter of time before someone creates a Rimworld boatmurdered ;)

But I'm surprised there's no option to incinerate or funeral pyres.
But there is, just arm your colonists with molotov cocktails and aim. I think it works with blast charges too.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 07, 2013, 01:37:33 pm »

If I he's saying what I think he's saying, the explosion results in a fire on the inaccessible tiles of the generator (The generator being both impassable and a multi-tile object). Hence, colonists can't extinguish it.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »

I keep reading "rimjob world".....
Poysky Productions

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 07, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »

If I he's saying what I think he's saying, the explosion results in a fire on the inaccessible tiles of the generator (The generator being both impassable and a multi-tile object). Hence, colonists can't extinguish it.

This.

Also Muz, while I agree on the hilarity of hanging up corpses to scare my enemies, I just get the feeling that I'm running out of empty space to build stuff...

Xinvoker: good tip on the molotovs, I'll try that.

alexpoysky: oh good, I'm not the only one...

EDIT: woohoo! Frag Grenades also disappear bodies, and damage debris until it's gone. Takes a while tho, I'm gonna try molotovs.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:00:59 pm by Sergius »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »

I managed to destroy a decent amount of slag by putting a dumping zone in a large dug out chamber with supports and using a blasting charge to destroy the supports.  The cavein destroys the debris.

Haven't tried it in mass yet to see exactly how effective it is in large scale though.

EDIT: Since my base's debris pile might as well already be set up to do this I pulled off a quick proof of concept.
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Seems effective to me.  Might want to be careful with the placement of the dumping zones to make sure it all gets atom smashed though.  Also ore walls appear to take more than 1 blasting charge to destroy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:41:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:43 pm »

Strangest bug happened. I got a short circuit that drained my batteries, I put out the fire, and my generators simply didn't produce any more power. I tried replacing, removing cables and nothing. I saved, quit to OS, reloaded, and all the lights started coming back online.

Still, my batteries are not charging and a few lamps won't light up at all. I got 2 thermo gen's which should be enough.

EDIT: NVM, I'm an idiot, I think I just got over capacity for my reactors. Haven't had so many colonists before, and even a single sun lamp uses a lot of power... I guess I have been barely scratching by at a small deficit with full batteries, and once they were forcibly discharged, I didn't have enough energy.

EDIT2: Playing around with sun lamps and lighting... sun lamps have a radius of 5 for "brighty lit", which is necessary for hydroponics, and a 10 radius for "lit", which is useless (the lit part isn't a very neat circle either). HOWEVER, overlapping "lit" areas of two lamps make a "lit" area. So, ideally, don't place isolated sunlamps or you waste a lot of light. For example, if I place 2 sunlamps 9 tiles apart in a diagonal line, the entire rectangle between them becomes "brighty lit".

It's something like this:

One lamp
Code: [Select]
          l
        lllll
     lllllllllll
    lllllllllllll
   lllllllllllllll
  lllllllbbblllllll
  lllllbbbbbbblllll
  llllbbbbbbbbbllll
 lllllbbbbbbbbblllll
 llllbbbbbbbbbbbllll
lllllbbbbbSbbbbblllll
 llllbbbbbbbbbbbllll
 lllllbbbbbbbbblllll
  llllbbbbbbbbbllll
  lllllbbbbbbblllll
  lllllllbbblllllll
   lllllllllllllll
    lllllllllllll
     lllllllllll
        lllll
          l

Two lamps
Code: [Select]
          l
        lllll
     lllllllllll
    lllllllllllll
   lllllllllllllll
  lllllllbbblllllll
  lllllbbbbbbblllll
  llllbbbbbbbbbllll
 lllllbbbbbbbbblllll
 llllbbbbbbbbbbbllll
lllllbbbbbSbbbbb++lll
 llllbbbbbbbbbbb+++l
 lllllbbbbbbbbb+++++
  llllbbbbbbbbb++++++
  lllllbbbbbbb+++++++
  lllllllbbb+++++++bbb
   lllllll+++++++bbbbbbb
    llllll++++++bbbbbbbbb
     llllll+++++bbbbbbbbb
        llll+++bbbbbbbbbbb
          l  ++bbbbbSbbbbb
               bbbbbbbbbbb
                bbbbbbbbb
                bbbbbbbbb
                 bbbbbbb
                   bbb

The '+' show all the gained spaces that are now "brightly lit".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:07:19 pm by Sergius »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2013, 04:05:52 pm »

I have to say there should be at least one necessary structure.

power switch: some switch to redirect power, i would like to keep some isolated batteries sometwhere so in case there is a short, i can switch over to backups. also in later cases switches can activate charges, traps, danger room :P

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 07, 2013, 05:58:57 pm »

A switch would be nice but you could just disconnect a power conduit to some batteries and then re-build the conduit when you might need it.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 280