Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853697 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #285 on: November 04, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »

Huh don't have it in my email. Is he doing this by hand? Since I think he said he would on the rimworld forums.

Man, just got it. There we go.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:15:06 pm by chaoticag »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 04, 2013, 03:17:36 pm »

Gentlemen who paid $30 or more... check yer emails :D

Thank you Tynan!

Thanks indeed! There goes what little time I have...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was going to study for my test Wednesday! ARGH. I wont download it until Wednesday night.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 04, 2013, 04:22:21 pm »

Got this on the eve of my day off. Score!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 04, 2013, 04:55:05 pm »

Well, guess I know what got added of my list of things to do this week!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 05, 2013, 12:07:48 am »

v177? Wow, that's a lot of prototypes.

Hmm.. a female Noble and two male characters who are Sexual Deviants, with one of them having a History of Murder. This will be Fun. Too bad traits don't work yet lol.

Ok, first thing I've learned is that this isn't exactly DF. Putting everyone in 2x2 rooms makes them go crazy. Putting batteries out in the rain isn't such a smart idea either.

I love some of the small details that DF misses out on too, like how jobs are shaded by the aptitude of the character to do those tasks. So you could see at a glance which characters are perfect as miners and which shouldn't be.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:11:57 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 05, 2013, 01:16:23 am »

I may have downloaded it. And I may have enjoyed it. It's quite good.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 05, 2013, 06:02:56 am »

v177? Wow, that's a lot of prototypes.

Hmm.. a female Noble and two male characters who are Sexual Deviants, with one of them having a History of Murder. This will be Fun. Too bad traits don't work yet lol.

Ok, first thing I've learned is that this isn't exactly DF. Putting everyone in 2x2 rooms makes them go crazy. Putting batteries out in the rain isn't such a smart idea either.

I love some of the small details that DF misses out on too, like how jobs are shaded by the aptitude of the character to do those tasks. So you could see at a glance which characters are perfect as miners and which shouldn't be.
The optimal rooms are 5x6, I think.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 05, 2013, 06:51:54 am »

someone should really do the science for this

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 05, 2013, 07:59:49 am »

This game looks really beautiful. (ptw).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 05, 2013, 11:14:28 am »

I've seen several sources confirm 5x6 rooms. I've tested myself, 5x5 they complain, 5x6 they don't (unless there's some research/decorations that can improve this, but doesn't seem so).

What I'd like to know is an ideal setup to defend against raiders. Turrets are ok until they start arriving with rifles, then they fire at it from beyond turret range. I'm thinking an outer wall that can force them to get close and minimizes cover somehow...

(also, when anything larger than 3x3 catches fire... well, just say bye bye to it, 'cause your people won't be able to put out the fires in the middle tiles).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:30:25 am by Sergius »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:55 am »

Don't have the game, but watching the LP it appears invaders have a knack for blowing up walls.

Maybe you should try using a natural bottleneck that hides turrets out of view. Though that creates some cover, of course.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2013, 12:35:18 pm »

What I'd like to know is an ideal setup to defend against raiders. Turrets are ok until they start arriving with rifles, then they fire at it from beyond turret range. I'm thinking an outer wall that can force them to get close and minimizes cover somehow...

(also, when anything larger than 3x3 catches fire... well, just say bye bye to it, 'cause your people won't be able to put out the fires in the middle tiles).

Yeah walling off areas so they get closer to turrets helps, you can also use blasting charges to demolish a wall to give turrets LOS once they get close, sometimes if they have grenades they can hit the turrets quite easily. I quite like building blocks of walls so I can send my guys to go harass the raiders as they approach and then duck out of sight when raiders get closer to avoid any return fire, and if raiders decide to try and use my walls for cover I either blow them up, or sell them :D.

As for fires it depends, fires can burn themselves out and must of the structures 3x3 and larger can survive a bit of damage so as long as most of the fire gets put out it should be ok.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 05, 2013, 01:46:55 pm »

I've actually been having no problems with raiders with cassandra classic.  I had one raiding party of about 10 raiders long ago that made me redesign my defenses, (yea rifles turn turrets from useful defense platforms to bombs that the raiders get to decide when to set off) but once I decided that turrets don't fit into my defensive plan at all cassandra stopped sending big waves at me.

That is my base, and for the last 4 cycles or so cassandra sent groups of 5 or 6 raiders against my guys behind those fortifications and they rarely even get a shot off, let alone get in the front door.  4 of my guys can hold off double their number there.  And this isn't even some fancy super pre planned optimised defense.  it's just what I decided to build to make sure all my guys with guns had someplace to shoot from.

(also this is my first colony. :D)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »

That base screams dwarf fortress player to me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 280