Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854333 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1725 on: September 09, 2016, 02:24:01 pm »

I think I have the food thing figured out now. That was early days.

Winter seriously screwed us over, though- I guess I hadn't been stockpiling frantically enough. It also didn't help that I hadn't known about growing medicine plants (i.e. not drugs) before Winter struck... my favourite colonist died to infection, and then was cannibalised before I could even bury her, and then I had the cannibals arrested... which lead to their deaths. >.>

Then our tame boomalope (or whatever those things are called) joined the near-constant spam of chickens dying from either cold or hypothermia, causing a large explosion right in the middle of camp. The fire claimed... well, pretty much everything.

I'm liking this game. ...Oh dear, it's 5:23 AM. Hahaha. Yeah. Whoops.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 09, 2016, 08:02:58 pm »

I think I have the food thing figured out now. That was early days.

Winter seriously screwed us over, though- I guess I hadn't been stockpiling frantically enough. It also didn't help that I hadn't known about growing medicine plants (i.e. not drugs) before Winter struck... my favourite colonist died to infection, and then was cannibalised before I could even bury her, and then I had the cannibals arrested... which lead to their deaths. >.>

Then our tame boomalope (or whatever those things are called) joined the near-constant spam of chickens dying from either cold or hypothermia, causing a large explosion right in the middle of camp. The fire claimed... well, pretty much everything.

I'm liking this game. ...Oh dear, it's 5:23 AM. Hahaha. Yeah. Whoops.

I like the wolf and bear just chillin' with your colonists.

The wildlife in this game is pretty crazy.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 09, 2016, 11:58:38 pm »

I like the wolf and bear just chillin' with your colonists.

The wildlife in this game is pretty crazy.
Well, if you want to be technical those two were tame... but it doesn't make them any less crazy. :P
Bloody tamed critters keep rushing over to chew on any dead stuff before I can have it butchered! ...So I took to making anyone who does that the next in line to be slaughtered. At this rate we might just make it through this Winter.
Gotta give a shoutout to my muffalos, though; they made excellent bullet sponges when a colonist's ex-wife(!!!) decided to attack.

I built a hydroponics 'greenhouse'. Had a few terrifying moments with grow lamps draining too much power and almost killing all my crops, but I think/hope I have the power situation under control now. Stupid eclipse making my backup solar panel useless... just finished researching a new power solution, too. Should help.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 10, 2016, 12:26:28 am »

So, whoever claimed that shotguns fire multiple pellets without mods:

YOU LIED! They fire a single projectile!

I know :( On the flip side though, Combat Realism makes shotguns basically one hit kill everything within a tile or two, and do serious damage within 5. I had a skill 0 shooter clear out an entire infestation and several raids with only 410 bore buckshot (again, mods. yolo) loaded into what should have been a 16 round rifle. I don't even bother picking up anything but buckshot now, because even if the user misses, chances are some of the shots will hit and cause bleed, suppression, shock, or get lucky and shoot some sort of critical organ.

Also birdshot is glorious to behold. You thought buckshot spread? Wait till the birds com a'callin', then fill the sky with flak.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: September 10, 2016, 11:04:58 am »

Shotguns in Combat Realism are a ridiculously amazing. The only entrance on two sides of one of my colonies were these long, open-air corridors. So I'd just have my militia stand at one end and whatever came charging down the hall would explode in red mist. Notable casualties include boomalopes, whole raiding parties, whole tribes, and a scyther.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: September 10, 2016, 01:14:48 pm »

Cleared out an ancient room today. Three Scythers and two Caterpillars. And about 6 Ancient Cryptosleep caskets, though they woke up halfway through the fight and got eradicated by the Caterpillars and one scyther.

As it turns out, five improve turrets and five charge rifles, plus a grenadier is overkill. The only thing I could have done better is build a few more fire poppers nearby - Brick got burned and took so long to get picked up he winded up getting infected. He's fine now though.

Other than that, no real casualties. I lost two turrets, but Brick was the only real wound, so I'm feeling good now.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 10, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »

As it turns out, five improve turrets and five charge rifles, plus a grenadier is overkill. The only thing I could have done better is build a few more fire poppers nearby - Brick got burned and took so long to get picked up he winded up getting infected. He's fine now though.

It really isn't. You don't want to give these guys a chance, period.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: September 10, 2016, 02:20:44 pm »

Yeah, also whoever said something about it getting boring when you can take mechanoids was silly.

BFEL used prepare carefully and prosthetics to play cheat games where I start with 10 power armored, fully cybernetic space marines.

Last one I popped a poison ship and like TWENTY mechanoids came out.
Also you haven't been raided till you have a stampede of literally 100 rabid boars flood into your base.

Yeah, I kinda think the game just needs to STOP scaling at a certain point, cuz if you actually managed to get all that stuff legitimately that would feel REALLY shitty to lose.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 10, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »

That's my problem with scaling games. Mostly Skyrim and Rimworld, though.
It never really feels like you progress sometimes. Sure, you have a shiny new weapon and your character(s) is(/are) heavily improved, but the enemies just scale up so it feels like you're at the exact same level you were before, but with a different looking enemy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:02:30 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: September 10, 2016, 03:30:53 pm »

One reason I like games that have different level areas. In the low level places you're STILL going to kick arse, rather than going back and, oh hey, the guys there are suddenly in full plate armour +10000
Not to mention you could go to a highly dangerous area and get overleveled loot without feeling like you were cheating, because you earned it through dipping, ducking, dodging, dying, and screaming like a bitch.

On the other hand, I have a second mech bunker. So once I have the components (this map is lousy with steel) I'm going to see what 20 turrets can do to one unfortunate caterpillar.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 10, 2016, 04:02:42 pm »

It does feel like you make progress though late game.  Cause while yes, huge swarms of enemies will scale up, they are all so tightly packed that the incendiary launchers, mortars and mines you get will make one hell of a lights show.

I mean sure, if you cheat or ignore the siege defense techs than it would suck to randomly lose but it's sort of the same in dwarf fortress if you just refused to make any sort of walls or trap rooms.
Nom nom nom

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: September 10, 2016, 10:35:20 pm »

My colony is going really well. Had to build an extra kitchen to keep up with demand, but we have plenty of raw food coming in.
And a lot of that's hydroponic, so Winter shouldn't kill us all this time. Just need to get some more freezers set up.

I'm planning to turn up the difficulty soon, though. I actually switched to Phoebe after most of the settlement burned down a while ago... now that we're very much back on our feet I should change it. Not sure what to change it to, though. Which vanilla storyteller option is best?

Edit: Bahaha, a heat wave just started and someone's throwing a party in the walk-in freezer. xD
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:40:11 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 10, 2016, 10:50:15 pm »

Depends on what you want. 
1. Phoebe's best for building and development, as you've already noticed.  She's heavily weighted towards minor threats and has minimum length of time between major threats of just short of one full season (12.5 days default, adjusted by difficulty).  Her threat cycle is also the longest, which as far as I can tell also plays into average times between threats. 

2. Cassie's for a steady increase in difficulty, apparently ramping up as you go.  She gives about a 3:1 ratio of minor to major threats with a bare minimum of 2.1 days between major threats.  I'm not sure if her timer resets if you switch to her or if she goes based on time since landing, but I'd assume the latter absent evidence.  I don't pretend to understand the storyteller code, so I don't even see where the difficulty ramp is altered based on time in the storyteller XMLs.  EDIT: Hmmm, it might actually be the threatCycle.  Maybe.

3. Randy's all over the place, apropos of the name.  He'll on average fire at least 1-2 threats per day with an even chance whether it's a small threat, a big threat, some friendly arrival, or orbital traders, and guarantee at least one event per day.  He'll also guarantee at least one major threat every 13 days by default, unlike the others who lack a maximum time interval for any sort of threats.  One other unique trait he has is that, while the other storytellers won't give you additional settlers above a population of 18, his critical population threshold is set to a surprising 50.  It's typically not a big thing, but it's worth noting if you want a *really* big settlement. 

I tend to play Randy, personally, but I know some people swear by Cassie due to Randy's erratic nature (there's nothing in his code stopping him from dropping two major threats on you in a single day, but he might also hand you two free migrants back to back instead), and those who are just in it to manage a colony will go with Phoebe.  I suppose it depends on what you're after. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:57:12 pm by Culise »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: September 10, 2016, 11:17:00 pm »

Thanks for the info!
I was originally playing Randy. For now, though, I just upped the difficulty on Phoebe. This is my first game, after all.
Oh, and I had a "pirate" trader visit shortly after, and I bought my very first slave! :D

...Kind of a weird thing to be excited about, but oh well. She has good crafting skills, which is good- we need to increase production.
Booze is Life for Yoink

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 11, 2016, 06:53:54 am »

One reason I like games that have different level areas. In the low level places you're STILL going to kick arse, rather than going back and, oh hey, the guys there are suddenly in full plate armour +10000
Didn't Skyrim actually do that? I recall one of the Bethesda engine RPGs post-Oblivion would 'lock down' the area, so an area you explored on low levels would still be low-level when you came back to it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 280