Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking For: Some Game With Proper Wizard Duels  (Read 2999 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking For: Some Game With Proper Wizard Duels
« on: September 14, 2013, 11:17:00 pm »

As the title said, I'm looking for games where I can play some proper wizard duel, that is, involving passive protections, counters, direct attack spells, "status effect" spells, dispels and so on. Battles being a mix of a puzzle to figure out the proper counters with strategy to drive your opponent into a corner where they are unable to effectively defend themselves. All of this, with hopefully an extensive magic system, not merely a handful of spells.

Ideally, I'd like it be an RPG, but if there's some other genre with the kind of battles I'd like, I'm willing to take them as well. Also, I'd rather that it did not use the Vancian magic system, I have some personal issues with it. :P On the feel, so to speak, something like GURPS magic, or perhaps Magic the Gathering.

Speaking of which, I guess the games inspired by MtG might be one of the options if I don't find anything else...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For: Some Game With Proper Wizard Duels
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:19:26 pm »

Ether Lords 2 I guess. But that is where you have a magic deck consisting of exactly 8 cards and do turn based battles with them.

Great epic magic duels never happen in videogames...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:28:46 pm »

Great epic magic duels never happen in videogames...
It's indeed hard to find, but I don't really see any mechanical limitation of why it should be so, even if it requires it being turn based.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:45 pm »

there was a text based browser game talked about on this forum, years ago. It sounded to me pretty much exactly like what you are talking about, complex wizard duels. I never played though and cant remember ther name to look it up. Maybe some old skooler here will remember it.
I got nothing

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:50:10 pm »

there was a text based browser game talked about on this forum, years ago. It sounded to me pretty much exactly like what you are talking about, complex wizard duels. I never played though and cant remember ther name to look it up. Maybe some old skooler here will remember it.
I think I remember it. Is this it: http://games.ravenblack.net ?

I've played it some 10 years ago (oh dear, I'm feeling my age...), it's actually pretty much the kind of games I was thinking about, even if I still hope to find more (and maybe newer) games. :P

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:04:19 am »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:32 am »

When I was thinking of making a duel game (in my head) Involving wizards of various types (Summoner, Evoker, Illusionist, Death, Geomancer) and what have you.

The illusionist was basically an assassin who used illusions to try to get in close where it would trap the opponent in a phantasm.

The death mage was a staller who had a one hit kill but had to wait for it.

Mind you, my version was a top down "Bullet hell" one on one duels.

Though if I were to personally add another duelist to your list... It would outright be a Dark Priest of some sort.

Basically a priest of a mean and malevolent deity who only seeks pain onto others. Perhaps it could be called a Cultist and have a cthonian twist... hmmm...

Nevermind I am going overboard, forget I said anything.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:12:53 am by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 01:25:01 am »

I was going to suggest Firetop Mountain/Warlocks.  It's probably the best thing.  There's also a game on kickstarter Greenlight about Chinese shaman duels, but I don't remember the name.

Magicka was a little silly but actually kind of hit what I think of when I think of magic duels.  A proper wizard duel should be complex, with feints, counterattacks, bluffs, all that, and it should be the kind of thing where missing a beat is instant death.  Magicka was like that, there were a ton of spells that would kill you pretty much automatically if you didn't avoid or counter them.

As complex as it is, a magic duel should be over in less than ten seconds
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:44:05 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 06:34:12 am »

Hmmm, you could actually sort of do this on cardhunter.com I think, you'd have to set up a custom scenario - you pick the characters and possibly equipment for both sides, and play either another player or the AI.  It's got warriors, wizards, clerics and monsters - you could limit it to wizards if you wanted.  (This is from the help files, I've never actually done it.)   I don't know where you get the equipment - it looks like one option is to pick a character w/equipment out of your mutiplayer party, and it looks like there's a lot of editing the 1st time, and their combat system isn't super deep or detailed (but it does play relatively quickly).  But hey it's free, so...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 06:39:12 am »

Basically just pokemon but with wizards.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:49:20 am »

I was going to suggest Firetop Mountain/Warlocks.  It's probably the best thing.  There's also a game on kickstarter Greenlight about Chinese shaman duels, but I don't remember the name.

Magicka was a little silly but actually kind of hit what I think of when I think of magic duels.  A proper wizard duel should be complex, with feints, counterattacks, bluffs, all that, and it should be the kind of thing where missing a beat is instant death.  Magicka was like that, there were a ton of spells that would kill you pretty much automatically if you didn't avoid or counter them.

As complex as it is, a magic duel should be over in less than ten seconds
Magicka could do some of it in theory, but it's too twitchy. That kind of game incentives reflexes instead of strategy, unless the players are ridiculously skilled. The "Thousand kicks once, One kick a thousand times" thing. Most players are better off practicing a single effective strategy until they can do it very well, before even thinking of practicing situational strategies.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:04:53 pm »

Magi almost ideally fits your request. Though the spells are few, combinations and tactics are countless.