Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Jungle (Modern Pirate RTD) Out of the Frying Pan...  (Read 8606 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
The Jungle (Modern Pirate RTD) Out of the Frying Pan...
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:15:58 pm »

You've been in some scrapes, but this is probably the worst.

You barely managed to escape that encampment with your life. A few of the others bit it on the way out, when the pirates managed to raise the alarms. A helicopter flies over, shaking the jungle's trees and dragging a searchlight through you. The jungle is wild and untamed, it seems to be very alive with all kinds of very nasty animals, and it's night making navigation a joke. There's about six of you--

"Hey, I see one of the fuckers!" says a pirate, far away. There is a gunshot.

Make that five of you. You wish you knew that guy's name, but you have to keep running or you'll be next. One of your companions cries out "Dogs!" and you can hear the sound of barking coming from the east. Those dogs sound very, very hungry.

"What do we do? Where are we going!?" cries out another. You look around and see a rope bridge. You run across it and the others follow your lead. The bridge shakes as you rush across it, and there is waters below that look deep, but you think you can make it to the other side be--

SNAP.

Before the rushing water hits, you think of the past... and as you fall deeper into the river, you are lost in memories.

Your childhood is the first thing that came up, within the dream. It was not the worst childhood, nor the best childhood. You might as well start from the start, from when you were born. Who were you born to, and what was your early life (1-7) like?

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:15:21 am by Fniff »

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
Re: The Jungle (Modern Pirate RTD) Accepting players.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:20:47 pm »

You where born to a musician and you spent your early years making bad fart jokes.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »

I was born by the River.
My father was the tribe's law-man, my mother was a doctor.

When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest fighter in the entire tribe, and he was the chief's decapitator. He cut off the heads of 131 criminals. It was a bad time for the tribe, the chief just stayed in his palace and never came out. People said his brain was infected with demons. My father would come home at night, and he'd forget about the killings. He wasn't scared of the chief, but the chief was scared of him. Maybe that was the problem. One night, the chief sent his royal assassins to our house. But they didn't. That was the night everything changed...

Long story short, I spent my childhood running through jungles and islands to escape the onslaught of assassins out to kill my family. Ironically enough, to save my family I turned to a life of crime and piracy.

((I do realize this is a modern game, so when I talk about chiefs and royalty, it's the current day ones of certain Sub-Saharan tribal groups, especially to the east coast. My character's father used a machete as his decapitating tool, the palace was an ornate modern one, the assassins use suppressed firearms, and so forth.

Also, I'm really fucking hyped for a modern pirate RTD. Are we ever going to be fighting military people ala Navy Seals and other such high-ranking international forces? That'd be the best.))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:26:00 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:01 pm »

I was born into a wealthy family in Sweden.

In my childhood I fought with my two elder siblings, learned to read early, was spoiled by my parents and began to develop a lifelong love of travel.

((Happy to change it if that doesn't work.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:08 am »

I was born the only son of a rich British Admiral.

I was raised to be a sailor with all the skills and equipment I'd need to survive and honor my family then sent out into the world at 18
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14:45 am »

I was the son a highly trained assasin. I spent my early years stelaing and fighting

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:21:36 am »

I was born on an island, a very small island, in a resort. My mother died in a plane crash, 5 years after my birth. My father was scarred for life and moped around the house. It was up to my older brother to care for me, and since he did, we formed a bond.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 08:27:03 am »

And that's that! Watch this post for a further edit for the actual post.

[Reserve: Sheet in Progress]

((I do realize this is a modern game, so when I talk about chiefs and royalty, it's the current day ones of certain Sub-Saharan tribal groups, especially to the east coast. My character's father used a machete as his decapitating tool, the palace was an ornate modern one, the assassins use suppressed firearms, and so forth.

Also, I'm really fucking hyped for a modern pirate RTD. Are we ever going to be fighting military people ala Navy Seals and other such high-ranking international forces? That'd be the best.))
Yep, don't worry, your character still fits in. You probably will end up fighting Navy Seals.

((Happy to change it if that doesn't work.))
Works fine, I'll get on it.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Jungle (Modern Pirate RTD) Character creation.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:37:42 am »

Will we get to control an NPC crew? Or do we get controlled?
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 09:07:39 am »

(You'll start out on your own, but you might have a crew someday. You do literally start being chased by pirates then falling into a river, so all you have items, skills, and perks.)

[Reserve: Sheet in Progress]

I was born by the River.
My father was the tribe's law-man, my mother was a doctor.

When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest fighter in the entire tribe, and he was the chief's decapitator. He cut off the heads of 131 criminals. It was a bad time for the tribe, the chief just stayed in his palace and never came out. People said his brain was infected with demons. My father would come home at night, and he'd forget about the killings. He wasn't scared of the chief, but the chief was scared of him. Maybe that was the problem. One night, the chief sent his royal assassins to our house. But they didn't. That was the night everything changed...

Long story short, I spent my childhood running through jungles and islands to escape the onslaught of assassins out to kill my family. Ironically enough, to save my family I turned to a life of crime and piracy.

Your early life was fractured in two. On one side, love and glory as the son of the tribe's most valued man below the chief. On the other side, piracy and crime. The name of your father years after his death can make citizens who know him bow in respect. Now he's dead, and you killed your first man when you were eight. It was a rather split second decision. It's amazing how easy these things come. You could never consider yourself becoming a pirate. Contorting with pirates was a significant reason for execution. They were bad people in the jungle, which you never entered. Now you're in the jungle, and now you see why no-one wanted to enter.
Perk gain: Respect. Helps diplomacy with citizens of tribes.

I was born into a wealthy family in Sweden.

In my childhood I fought with my two elder siblings, learned to read early, was spoiled by my parents and began to develop a lifelong love of travel.

In Sweden, things were pleasant but dull. You were a happy child who loved reading, even though you were mocked for it by your elder siblings. When you first traveled to Spain when you were 5, you loved the experiences you found there, and started a love of travel that never really stopped. It helped that your parents were rich enough to afford holidays every few months. As you traveled, you picked up a few basic abilities, including the ability to survive outdoors. You never really went far from an official campsite to really worry about survival, but your father taught you how to build a fire, make a shelter, ect. That was good enough.
Skill gain: +2 to outdoorsmenship.

I was born the only son of a rich British Admiral.

I was raised to be a sailor with all the skills and equipment I'd need to survive and honor my family then sent out into the world at 18
Ah, yes, the royal navy. What better family history? Your family have been sailors since ships were made. Hell, your family crest is an anchor crossed with ropes. You lived in comfort in a big old manor bought with money from raiding Spanish ships in the 1700s under the Queen's orders, with your father always breathing down your neck to "get learning" on how to pilot a ship. You were 6. He was quite overbearing, but some information about sailing and swimming got into your head thanks to his constant badgering and lessons. At least it's a skill.
Skill gain: +2 to sailing most kinds of boat

I was the son a highly trained assasin. I spent my early years stelaing and fighting
Your family didn't talk about it's business. Some people said vague hints as to it's nature, but they were vague hints and nothing more. You feel ashamed to say that you didn't get the hint until you were about six when you realized that your father probably doesn't supply concrete shoes for people to go paddling around in rivers. Your father and mother dearest carefully cultivated an atmosphere of hate and fear in that household, and you might as well have been in the jungle for all the infighting between your many siblings. At least you learned how to stay quiet and avoid any unneeded attention.
Skill gain: +2 to stealth

I was born on an island, a very small island, in a resort. My mother died in a plane crash, 5 years after my birth. My father was scarred for life and moped around the house. It was up to my older brother to care for me, and since he did, we formed a bond.
Your older brother did everything for you. You cannot thank him enough. In that resort for the dead and dying, you were still both alive but with no real idea of where to go. At least your brother managed to keep you busy with games and stories instead of just moping around reading books. Both of you avoided the long gone gaze of your father, though. Even your combined strength couldn't measure up to the hollowness within his eyes. One day, your brother took you aside and pressed a compass into your hands. It was gold-plated, and quite pretty.

"This was dads... He wanted me to have it, but I think you need it more." He smiled at you and walked off, leaving you to stare at the compass in your hands.
Item gain: Compass heirloom. Helps navigation.

Of course, things changed, as things do. Some things for the better, others for the worse. The question is What happened when you grew into a teenager, then an adult?

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:18:10 am »

My brother left when I was 14, as he knew I was old enough and smart enough to fend for myself. He kept in touch, though, and I soon moved as well. I moved to another, larger island. I believe it's name was "Ha-wii" Or something like that. I moved soon after. I moved to the place called Canada, and discovered that I loved the cold and the snow.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:23:00 am »

Well SHOOT missed out. Guess I'm the 6th guy that died :P

PTW. I like the character creation process.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 09:32:43 am »

(( Just sailing? Nothing for fighting. )(
Caine's law.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:34 am »

(Well, you were eight when you were learning this.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42:18 am »

I was a diligent student, working hard and making not a few friends in the process.
My father was making a lot of money as a business tycoon, but I was fascinated by my mother's stories of her work as a photojournalist and war correspondent. From early on I dreamt of one day traveling the world myself, hopefully doing something to make a difference.

I developed an interest in music as a teenager, becoming quite proficient on the guitar, but unfortunately jam sessions with friends more often than not led to drug use. My good grades started to drop as I did more and more weed, forsaking school captaincy and homework assignments to get high, play in a series of terrible bands with my buddies and dream of just how I was going to "make it big" someday.
Mother was a sympathetic ear, but even she wasn't about to defend me from Dad's wrath at my screw-ups.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8