Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Questions  (Read 774 times)

Kluten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some Questions
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:37:47 am »

Hello guys. I've been playing DF for a while now but there is so much things i cant handle so here goes.

1: How do i get rid of all those god damn children? (I really dont wanna use Dwarven Atom Smasher because it leaves a ghost) Would rather throw them in my death hole but i dont know how.

2: Does it exist a good guide to get into Metalcrafting? Every game i cant find the ores i need to start producing quality armor and weapons.

3: Is Military really complicated? Or am i doing everything wrong? I have basic understanding of the military system but the dwarfs are utterly useless even if they train for years. And they dont pick up weapons either. (I had over 300 weapons last game) How to train them efficiently? And how to setup a good military?

4: Is there a better way to conduct industry? I feel its too clunky spamming beds and doors. Is there some menu that i can use to my benefit? Like Set my civ to make 50 doors. And they do it automaticly?

Thats it for now. Im hoping for many replies :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:07:45 am »

1: you can set children to grow up faster, or you can limit the number of children that can be born in your fort in d_init. As for smashing them, if they die alone, with no witnesses at all, not even another person getting smashed, you can engrave a slab before a ghost comes along

4: (j)obs (m)anager. It requires you to appoint a manager and is exactly for doing things like "make 20 beds, 20 rock doors and 20 rock coffers". He assigns the work to workshop and makes sure that cancelled jobs get automatically added to the queue again
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:32:26 am »

1. set a childcap in data/init/d_init.txt. Also look through init.txt for easy customization of DF.

2. Use the wiki. ores are good point to start.

4. appoint a manager and use the manager screen j-m

Kluten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:10:58 am »

1. set a childcap in data/init/d_init.txt. Also look through init.txt for easy customization of DF.

2. Use the wiki. ores are good point to start.

4. appoint a manager and use the manager screen j-m

Dont really wanna cheat to get the children away. I wanna deal with it like a real dwarf :D
The Wiki is allright but i can never find the appropriate ores to make Iron bars for example.

1: you can set children to grow up faster, or you can limit the number of children that can be born in your fort in d_init. As for smashing them, if they die alone, with no witnesses at all, not even another person getting smashed, you can engrave a slab before a ghost comes along

4: (j)obs (m)anager. It requires you to appoint a manager and is exactly for doing things like "make 20 beds, 20 rock doors and 20 rock coffers". He assigns the work to workshop and makes sure that cancelled jobs get automatically added to the queue again

Thanks for the Job manager. I knew there was some easier way to deal with Industry :D

Thanks for answers guys!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:43:21 am »

If you go to Z-Stones, you can look at the ores to see what they make. You can also do this by [k]ing over the ore and pressing [ENTER].

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:20:40 am »

setting the child cap, just like the pop cap, isn't really cheating. First of all because the default settings are a bit insane, 100 children and babies or 10x the number of adults, whichever number is reached first. For me setting it lower isn't so much about not being able to deal with all the useless mini-morons but more with having fps issues with larger populations
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 01:26:10 pm »

Dont really wanna cheat to get the children away. I wanna deal with it like a real dwarf :D
The Wiki is allright but i can never find the appropriate ores to make Iron bars for example.

Init modifications are not cheating. It's just a more primitive form of changing game settings.

Also you can order iron ore from your civ or take it from invading goblins. Finding that perfect embark location can be a real chore.