Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workers will not make kitchen  (Read 897 times)

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workers will not make kitchen
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:48:50 pm »

For some reason none of my workers will bother creating the kitchen i told them to create it and they refuse. I have a carpenter ready to build but he just wont build it

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workers will not make kitchen
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »

Is there any uncleared rock or other trash laying on the tiles the kitchen will go on? If so, have the dwarves dump it. Additionally, you might want to query the construction status of the kitchen. If the dwarves encounter trash, they'll suspect work. And won't resume work after the trash is gone.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:26 pm »

It turns out my carpenter was glitched i have no clue what was up with him but i restarted the game and it was fixed

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »

actually, it's very simple. The person building the kitchen isn't the carpenter. Each workshop is constructed by any dwarf with a labor active that uses that workshop. For a kitchen that is most likely cooking, carpentry for a carpentry (yay mr obvious me), any crafting skill for a craftsworkshop and woodburning for a charcoal thingy. So, having a carpenter ready to make a kitchen won't work at all. Real life notwithstanding, where I'd much rather have a carpenter make my kitchen than a sous-chef.

The wiki has a page on each workshop and what labor(s) you can activate in order to have someone build the workshop
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »

I think when you "Q" over a workshop it says waiting for "xxxx" where xxxx is the labour needed to complete the workshop. Cooking for kitchens, carpentry for carpenters workshop, mason for masonry workshop etc.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »

The person building the kitchen isn't the carpenter. Each workshop is constructed by any dwarf with a labor active that uses that workshop. For a kitchen that is most likely cooking, carpentry for a carpentry (yay mr obvious me), any crafting skill for a craftsworkshop and woodburning for a charcoal thingy.

Actually it's Architecture + Masonry for a wood furnace (assuming you build it out of stone, or a stone block).  Some of the workshops are special like that.  But the kitchen is indeed simply Cooking.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:10:50 am »

The person building the kitchen isn't the carpenter. Each workshop is constructed by any dwarf with a labor active that uses that workshop. For a kitchen that is most likely cooking, carpentry for a carpentry (yay mr obvious me), any crafting skill for a craftsworkshop and woodburning for a charcoal thingy.

Actually it's Architecture + Masonry for a wood furnace (assuming you build it out of stone, or a stone block).  Some of the workshops are special like that.  But the kitchen is indeed simply Cooking.

The various "furnaces" - submenu b-e - all need to be designed by an architect and built by a mason (or any metalsmith if you build them from metal).

The three "machinery" workshops quern, millstone and screwpress aren't built by the labour used in its operation: querns take no profession at all, millstone and screwpress take mechanics.

All other b-w "workshops" are built by the profession that actually works in the shop.