Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Ideas Corner: Discuss and plan out RP ideas.  (Read 3247 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: The Ideas Corner: Discuss and plan out RP ideas.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 05:07:24 pm »

You know, that gives me a lot of plot work with. And the wild dragons are amazingly like one would expect.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »

I would say that the players should be able to join [all races. Not just humans and elves. Perhaps the dragons have loosened the recruitment thing out of desperation but raised the bar to compensate]. As the last thing I said might imply the Joining ritual [A series of tests that must be completed in order to join the Dragons. Then there are even harder ones to allow you to become a rider after you've spent a sufficient amount of time working for the Dragons to show that you're worthy in the long run and not just in this one thing.] should be deadly. And I mean ACTUALLY deadly. Not "Oh man this NPC died once trying this." I mean "Oh my god they ripped off the arms of two of my characters and then FED THEM TO HIM!" deadly.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 05:30:37 pm »

That may be putting the bar a little high. Although even if I wasn't going with the idea anyone would be able to join as any race. Also I believe the orc-pigs are called Kurgal. I'll have to check that.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 05:33:54 pm »

Well being a rider makes you basically god incarnate against anything lesser than another rider [apparently. I hate that kinda crap. Overpowered heroes are boring] so it gives the players something to strive for and gives them a reward that fits it. Also I believe it's Urgals now that I think about it. BUT keep in mind that this is just me talking off the top of my head. It might be for the best that the players have very little to do at all with Riders and the like.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »

Now I remember, they're the Urgals and there's an offshoot called the Kull that are generally bigger and meaner.
Also Eragon mostly didn't die due to luck. Heck, in the beginning of the last book he could have easily died without the Elves being there.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 05:41:01 pm »

He kills entire armies. Sure that's the point of the riders but... I don't really recall. I reread a lot of the first, second, and third book due to the world building, world building, and dwarvern politics in those. The fourth book was one of the only books that pissed me the fuck off. He made Galby a pretty interesting villian with a really good point that I thought was a decent idea. Then he killed him with... grief? What?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 05:45:07 pm »

I haven't got to the end yet. I kind of don't want to because I've spent the whole series waiting for Eragon and Arya to hook up and then I look through a fanfiction site and find out that Eragon leaves. Kind of made me mad.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 05:48:21 pm »

I reccomend that you don't finish it. Make your own ending. Everyone who I've talked to that's read it [myself included] got PISSED at the ending. It's all rushed, and filled with stupid things that I won't spoil for you in case you wish to be angry yourself. Nothing really feels tied up and... well it honestly feels like he stopped caring about his books.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 06:15:20 pm »

Simple. Do what the real countries do.

Indeed. There are countries in asia where your bag is worth several years of work - but since the populace knows there would be a bloody crackdown where they to take one, it is safer than your own house. Except you also keep a squad of guards in there. This complete charade you want to paint here is actually available in North-Korea. Expect only stasi-loyalists to cross your way there. Heard its quite the steal moneywise thou - on the tourists part.

.. which has the Doctors Without Borders.
Such a regime would never let "a dangerous westerner" like that enter. He is only a risk for them. They donīt care that he could help the people. He - or any aid-workers -also is a liability that would need to be protected against possible kidnap/ransom and negative media-attention. Just look at what happened in the afghanistan and so forth - true enough, their political demands are sometimes even ignored in the western translations, or taken out of context. The principle to make pressure on the current system is the same thou. Well, at least thatīs my view. The line of thinking is good thou - how about a drunken western collaborator to the system? Merchant, Investors and roman-catholic priests come to mind.

Ahem, so more onto topic. Iīve actually seen a lighter version of this charade you are speaking of in latin america; Automatic Gunnery in police-hands is a dead-give-away, you even have trouble finding a normal pistol on the forces. A multitude of armed forces also spells of trouble - milita, munipicial police, national police, military police and military itself. Once I counted 4 different types (minus milita). This means there is a very high chance of some of them being corrupt, so others are also called to the watch so they canīt run as rampart. Other watchers watch the watchers-kinda setting.

Spoiler: As for concrete ideas; (click to show/hide)
Those are all great details! I'll save them in a document, thanks a lot for making it!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:56 pm »

WHAT'S THIS
A USEFUL THREAD
AN OVERABUNDANCE OF PTW OUGHTA FIX THAT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24:33 pm »

I reccomend that you don't finish it. Make your own ending. Everyone who I've talked to that's read it [myself included] got PISSED at the ending. It's all rushed, and filled with stupid things that I won't spoil for you in case you wish to be angry yourself. Nothing really feels tied up and... well it honestly feels like he stopped caring about his books.
When I get the mechanics down and start this then I'll probably ask if an ending that someone else wrote or the one that came with the book is preffered. To be honest I'll probably go with a custom ending just because of what I've heard thus far.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 01:35:43 am »

I got pissed at the Marty Sue and gave up at the end of the second book.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 03:25:08 am »

Yurp. Yrep. Yorp.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 03:34:59 am »

He kills entire armies. Sure that's the point of the riders but... I don't really recall. I reread a lot of the first, second, and third book due to the world building, world building, and dwarvern politics in those. The fourth book was one of the only books that pissed me the fuck off. He made Galby a pretty interesting villian with a really good point that I thought was a decent idea. Then he killed him with... grief? What?
Yeah, it was kinda the dwarven politics that was the best bit for me.
And their cities. Holy fuck I want to build something like that in DF so pretty
But then Galbatorix did his ending thing and yeah. It was kinda rushed IMO.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:21 am »

I got pissed at the Marty Sue and gave up at the end of the second book.

Who was a Marty Sue again?

The best parts of the Second book were, as I said, Rohan or whatever the cousins name was. That and, as I said, the world building. Oddly after the first book the best parts were NEVER Eragon or what he was doing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3