Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Injured vampire WTF  (Read 1087 times)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Injured vampire WTF
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:53:21 am »

So the backstory is, after my vampire served her sentence of two hundred days or so, rather than getting into her pit, she decided to feed again, I got angry, so I stationed some troops in the room, thinking they will deal with her, but they just decided to report her after the death.
I convicted her and she got fifty hammer strikes as punishment, and her leg got broken pretty badly, so off to the hospital!

Here gets the thing confusing, after receiving some sutures to her toe, and if I remember correctly her broken bones were set too, but further suturing and clothing was needed, she escapes from the hospital crawling towards for some sleeping dwarves nearby, she is somehow losing blood even though she isn't bleeding, she's at faint level when a doc comes again and carries her back to the hospital, and starts cleaning her wounds.
I check back up on her later, she isn't in the hospital. I find out that her wounds got cleaned again, nothing more, she's crawling again towards some unsuspecting sleeping dwarf, the dwarf wakes up before she arrives, she's pale but quite determined and crawls to the empty bed, and stays there and just stays, and then she dies.

So yeah I'm not sure what's happening here, and if it's normal.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injured vampire WTF
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:03:54 am »

I check back up on her later, she isn't in the hospital. I find out that her wounds got cleaned again, nothing more, she's crawling again towards some unsuspecting sleeping dwarf, the dwarf wakes up before she arrives, she's pale but quite determined and crawls to the empty bed, and stays there and just stays, and then she dies.

It's been reported once or twice; injured vampires overwrite their "rest" job with feeding behaviour, messing up their treatment. Locking them in with their doctor(s) so they can't calculate a path to sleeping citizens _might_ work.

A free-roaming vampire in a large fort is always a massive problem, whenever the vamp is on break, they'll go on a citizen-guzzling rampage and dwarfs appear completely unwilling to stop a vampire in the act. I guess they find it unconscionable to interrupt someone while eating.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 06:28:46 am »

That bleeding might have been infection.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:11:01 am »

It's been reported once or twice; injured vampires overwrite their "rest" job with feeding behaviour, messing up their treatment. Locking them in with their doctor(s) so they can't calculate a path to sleeping citizens _might_ work.

A free-roaming vampire in a large fort is always a massive problem, whenever the vamp is on break, they'll go on a citizen-guzzling rampage and dwarfs appear completely unwilling to stop a vampire in the act. I guess they find it unconscionable to interrupt someone while eating.

That explains it, and I guess she staying in the empty bedroom, might be another bug.

That bleeding might have been infection.

She did have infections.

So thanks case solved.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:07:55 am »

And we all know dwarves are nothing if not polite! :D

That's interesting but makes sense that a vampires modus operandi is "nap-time = snack time".  I'd wonder why they wouldn't be more discreet, like deciding to make "drain Urist's vital fluids" into a sometimes thing rather than an all-the-time ting.  That would make sense.  Then again, as you said dwarves won't lift a finger to stop the vampire in the act, so I guess they've just always gotten away with it.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Erofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Call Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:38:21 pm »

She did have infections.

So thanks case solved.

Strange, shouldn't vampires be immune to all diseases and infections?

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:39:35 pm »

She did have infections.

So thanks case solved.

Strange, shouldn't vampires be immune to all diseases and infections?

As far as I know, vampires aren't inherently immune to disease. It's just that most diseases have [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:VAMPCURSE] or [IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING], I think. Being immune to dizziness, fevers, nausea, paralysis, pain and exertion helps with any disease that does take root.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:41:08 pm by Crinkles »