Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Babby's first bloodsucker  (Read 2543 times)

stainlesssteellocust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Babby's first bloodsucker
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:12:08 pm »

Hello there, people.

I've run into my first vampire, and cannot for the life of me figure out who it is.

My fort is doing decently: population is hovering around 130, babies everywhere, somewhat adequate defences, lots of shiny things to trade, beat the gobbos when they tried to get me (still can't work out what to do with the Crossbowgoblin I captured though). But this vampire is causing me trouble.

At first I couldn't be bothered to check much since it laid low after the first kill; I had a look, but couldn't find anything. Now though? Its kill count is four, two within a short space of time, including a miner and a crossbowdwarf. As far as I'm concerned a line has been crossed; I'm going to go Bram Stoker on the thing. Or at least do a Kouta Hirano and lock it in a basement until I find a decent use for it.

So the question becomes one of identification.

I don't have enough beds in the fortress, but before the vamp att
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:40:14 pm by stainlesssteellocust »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Babby's first bloodsucker
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »

I would start by checking recent migrants to see if anyone has an unusually high number of "former memberships." You know, the dark blue text that says "He is a former member of the Organized Racks, he is a member of the Bust of Caves..." Vampires usually have about ten times the dark blue text of a normal dwarf. Once you have a suspect, try locking him in a room to see if he gets thirsty.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:15 pm »

The best way by far to ID them, although kind of tedious, is to go to the units screen and check everybody's status. You know the part where it lists their group and civilization, and any former affiliations? A normal dwarf will have maybe 4-6 entries on average. Vampires will have eleventy billion. And no, that is NOT an exaggeration. You'll know when you see it. They tend to stretch the screen.

When you have a candidate, you can confirm by nicknaming them, and then checking the relations of your dwarves. You can view the fortress deities, and if you named your vampire something like STUPID VAMPIRE BITCH, and you chose the correct vamp, then if you find the god that cursed him, it'll say something like "In 208 Adum Oakenshield cursed the dwarf STUPID VAMPIRE BITCH Tombcactuses to prowl the night in search of blood." Then do whatever you want with the little bitch.

Alternatively, vampires never eat, drink, or sleep. Lock every single dwarf in a room. Use burrows. Include food/drink if you want. Once someone gets hungry/thirsty and/or starts eating/drinking, let them AND ONLY THEM out by releasing them from the burrow. Same if someone falls asleep, though in that case you're likely to catch the vamp feeding and the whole exercise will be moot. Zombies also leave vamps alone but spook normal dwarves, so there's that if you have zombies.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:37:02 pm »

Take your entire population, and lock them into various rooms without access to food and drink. If they show signs of getting hungry, thirsty, or take a nap, they're mortals. If someone is drained of blood in their sleep in one of these rooms, you know the vampire must be in that room, and you must separate them out.

Like itg said, vampires will have long lists of former memberships. But they will also sometimes have a list of relatives, none of whom have ever visited your fortress. And because they do not eat, drink, or sleep, they will not have any thoughts about eating in legendary dining rooms, having truly decadent drinks, or sleeping in a wonderful bed. If most of the population has access to personal bedrooms and you've been letting them choose their rooms for themselves by designating rooms as open for claiming and then leaving them to the dwarves to assign, it's entirely possible the vampire is one of those that doesn't have a room, because he or she never slept in any bed.

Also, if you think you've identified your vampire through any of these other criteria, you can confirm it by giving them a nickname and then looking through deity  biographies (accessible through the relationships screen) to see if any of the deities "cursed [nickname] Mcdorf to prowl the night in search of blood." The vampire in question often has the deity that cursed them as an object of worship in their relationships page.

Ninjas, all of you!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:28 pm »

Vampires all have white hair and never drink alcohol.  If a dwarf has white hair, and it says something about "cant even remember his last drink" that's your guy. 

stainlesssteellocust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »

Update time:

I had a suspect in mind, but as you might be able to see the post cut off for some reason and didn't show it. Now, between the advice you've kindly given and the annoyance of a needless dehydration strike, I'm certain.

He's the mayor, he has white hair, a dwarf kill in his record, not a single person on his relationship list except passing acquaintances in the fortress and no interest in food or drink. As in, even when the other dwarves went crazy with thirst for some deranged reason and started dropping dead despite the stacks of alcohol next to them, he was the only dwarf in the fort not to get a negative thought.

So. I'm thinking I might send him into the newly-discovered caverns and close the bridge behind him. He can explore it, and if another bunch of pests emerge from down there they are welcome to each other. Any better ideas?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:47:03 pm by stainlesssteellocust »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 05:46:14 pm »

Or just lock him his office and make him your manager/book keeper. You might want to give him some armor, since his clothes will eventually rot away.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:25:53 pm »

I though this thread was about eternally young babies draining their mothers in their sleep and crawling around craving for more blood.  :-\
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »

Vampires all have white hair and never drink alcohol.  If a dwarf has white hair, and it says something about "cant even remember his last drink" that's your guy.

Do they really ALL have white hair? I've never actually had a vampire so I wouldn't know, but this is the first I've heard of all vampires having white hair. I mean if most vampires are old and I noticed most of my 80~ aged dwarves had graying hair of varying degrees, perhaps there's just a coincidence there?

I apologize for the skepticism, but I would have thought that something like that would be common knowledge or in the wiki (admittedly, I have been gone from the forums for a few months and could have easily missed a thread about this, and though I checked the wiki and couldn't find anything indicating all white hair, the wiki can be out of date and I am rather tired right now). I suppose I'm just hoping it isn't so, as it would rather trivialize vampire identification, right? Still, I could really do with some confirmation here. I again apologize for bothering you on such a trivial issue.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:11 pm »

No, they don't all have white hair.  They often do have white hair, or wrinkles, due to extreme age, but it's not universal.

A normal dwarf will have maybe 4-6 entries on average. Vampires will have eleventy billion. And no, that is NOT an exaggeration.
This is the worst one I've ever seen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:53:24 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »

They also should have lots of grandchildren, great-grandchildren and so on. Though dwarves generally have pretty big families anyway.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:42 pm »

As for what to do with the little bugger, I don't suppose you'd be willing to go through the effort of creating a well with controlled access that's infected with said bugger's blood? In order to mass produce immortal military and a sealed bookkeeper and manager that never take brakes and will act as the last bastions of sanity in an otherwise berserk or dying fort? Just a thought.

If you do create military Nosferatus, I suggest training up stats prior to… vampirization? Vampification? Immortalization? Infection? Since the stats are doubled then frozen upon their becoming vampires. 2*0=0. Don't forget to give your hermetically sealed bookkeeper and immortal manager greaves, leather armor, and high boots. Naked hermits are useless hermits.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:07:50 pm by UnlawfullyDeranged »
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

stumpy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 11:06:27 pm »

Here's another trick for finding your bloodsucker: Switch to default ASCII graphics, forbid all bedrooms and create a dormitory. Watch and wait. When the vampire goes to feed, it's icon flashes between the dwarf head and the accented N.
  My first killed four people while I searched the others Thoughts/Prefs. Two innocents were convicted with no witnesses and died of thirst while chained in the dining room. Justice sentenced the vamp to 800 years for the crimes, but no one ever chained it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 02:11:29 am »

As for what to do with the little bugger, I don't suppose you'd be willing to go through the effort of creating a well with controlled access that's infected with said bugger's blood? In order to mass produce immortal military and a sealed bookkeeper and manager that never take brakes and will act as the last bastions of sanity in an otherwise berserk or dying fort? Just a thought.

Creating an entire fortress of undead bloodsuckers IS hella-fun! I did that on a succession game after Spish gave me instruction on how to accomplish it, and the results were rather spectacularly bloody for the first adventurer to show up. More so because it was Darkerdark and he has a tendency to make sure his stories are even more awesome.

His post is here.

Creating the well is both rather tricky, and ingeniously simple. First you'll need a water cistern, empty during construction. It doesn't need to be all that big as the motion of water when it is partially emptied will ruin the well's undeath-giving properties. Maybe a 3x3 chamber. In the middle of it, place a repeating spike trap armed with something sharp, like a metal spear or menacing spike, linked to a lever controlled form somewhere else. The story above the cistern should be empty, and used to access the cistern via a stairwell, and as a housing for the well itself. The stairwell needs to be sealed off so that nothing can climb out of the cistern (very important, because you need to keep your vampire in there, on top of that spike trap, meaning they must have nowhere to path to) and the well needs to be positioned over a hole directly above the repeating spike. Above the well chamber should be a 1x1 room, consisting of a lever-operated floor hatch or bars, and sealed with a door. Once construction is finished, and before introducing the vampire to the spikes, you must fill the cistern to an even 7/7 depth of drinkable water.

Basically, you just need to put the vampire in a squad of their own, and order them to stand in that chamber above the well, on top of the hatch, and lock them in there. They probably shouldn't have any access to the rest of the fort during this time. I'd suggest saving the game at this point so you can savescum if the operation fails (such as if the vamp dies before bleeding sufficiently or dodges the spikes.) When you're ready, pull the lever operating that hatch, dropping the vamp through the well and onto the spike trap in the cistern below. Then, make them bleed, if they aren't already, by repeatedly stabbing them with the spike. Once the square under the well contains a "pool of so-and-so's blood," the well water drawn from it will be laced with said blood, which is the mechanism to spread the curse. Then just convince the portion of the population you want to infect to live around that well, with no other drink source, and before long at least a few of them should start sucking blood.

I am not responsible for the destruction of your fortress if it is destroyed via tantrum-spiral when everyone is eating their friends. You'll just have to find some other means of keeping them blissfully unaware of what's going on around them. :P

Also, if the original vamp survives the procedure, you can extract them form the well, offer them whatever medical attention is necessary, and then lock them up or something. The well will probably get ruined by the motion of the water flushing the blood stain off the square under the well, so you might have to set up a new one if you don't get as many vampires as you would like. I think I succeeded in infecting ~25-30 dwarves. Who promptly drove the fortress right into the ground when it came time to sate their thirst.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 02:20:04 am »

>Eric Blank
>UnlawfullyDeranged

Hehehee... You two just give to me idea with that I should populate lower levels of my on-going underwater domed city project. Through is there any way to make vampires stay in fortress even if it is abandoned? Like for adventure mode and such..
Pages: [1] 2