Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on reducing FPS loss and in design?  (Read 1056 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips on reducing FPS loss and in design?
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »

Since my computer isn't that great and I kind of normalize the FPS around 30-40 (I do normalize around 50, but I guess it dropped to 40s later), any tips on reducing FPS loss via pathing and fort design? I kind of default to one huge room for storage stuff.

IMO the storage design article in the wiki could be expanded.....

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on reducing FPS loss and in design?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »

First, door off your exploration paths and lock them up when you're done with exploratory digs/vein digs.  That gets rid of some of it.

High-traffic the bedroom-dining room-booze storage run.  This keeps the pathing down to reasonable for the few jobs EVERY dwarf has to have.

Beware liquid flow.  Try to keep it stable so it teleports from beginning to end and the rest is filled with 7s where you can.  Flow is crushing to FPS.

QS your rock/wood/etc, and basically keep the place cleaned up.  Atom smash and/or store way out of the way all furniture/cages/traps/etc you're not intending to use, particularly non-masterwork.

Engrave only the areas that need it (dining room, bedrooms, and tombs usually), or your dwarves 'look' at everything.  Smooth the fort to up your engraver skill so those engravings are the best possible.

Use 2/3 wide corridors to lower collision repathing for your dwarves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:11:10 pm »

Are you basing that on the save I uploaded? Just wondering, and yeah that lake is proabbly causing a good deal of the FPS drain.

Yeah, I always quantum dump the rocks into a small area.

Edit: What about stockpile design and setup? I think that might be a main area of FPS loss.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:16:59 pm by smjjames »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »

I typically gen worlds with only one cavern layer to limit open space.

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:26:17 pm »

I think that was general lag reducing advice since you don't have a link to any uploaded saves or pictures.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:42:15 pm »

True, although what about this save as an example? I know the huge open space on the outside and the massive fort being huge is part of the problem though. and that save has the massive stockpile room I'm talking about.

I'm thinking I'll try a 4x4 embark rather than a 5x5

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:43:06 pm »

Are you basing that on the save I uploaded? Just wondering, and yeah that lake is proabbly causing a good deal of the FPS drain.

Edit: What about stockpile design and setup? I think that might be a main area of FPS loss.

Save?  I didn't see a save, that was some generical philosophies I try to use in all my forts.

I've yet to see stockpile design cause me any FPS issues, but I don't tend to make them intricate either.  I typically only use them for particular things, like a rock nut stockpile for my quern or when I need magma-safe gears I link the stockpile with that rock type to the mechanic.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »

True, although what about this save as an example? I know the huge open space on the outside and the massive fort being huge is part of the problem though. and that save has the massive stockpile room I'm talking about.

I'm thinking I'll try a 4x4 embark rather than a 5x5

Huge open space can be handled by putting in some restricted zones on the bridges leading outdoors.  Cleans up most of the external pathing problems nicely on larger embarks.  If you don't have chokepoints then yeah, the outdoors can eat you, but it's only one level.

I'll take a look at that save in a while and see if there's anything that stands out to me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:46:44 pm »

Save?  I didn't see a save, that was some generical philosophies I try to use in all my forts.

I've yet to see stockpile design cause me any FPS issues, but I don't tend to make them intricate either.  I typically only use them for particular things, like a rock nut stockpile for my quern or when I need magma-safe gears I link the stockpile with that rock type to the mechanic.

I meant in the thread that you asked if I could upload a save.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

Ooooh.  Sorry.  I've loaded so many different maps trying to figure out this undead trap that I've forgotten what all I've looked at in the last week.  I'll take a look again in a bit though...  :D 

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:59 pm »

Bahahah, alright... that's hysterical.  I don't think I'd ever seen this.

For reference, my machine runs this at about 45 FPS.  That's a pretty damned good rate in general, actually.  However, there are some things you might do.

I take back what I said about the outdoors.  You don't have an inner area helping to control the flood pathing.  You've... cripes, you've walled in the outdoors.  :D  Use Traffic Pathing to remove the water-walls from even being part of the selection except when you need someone out there.  Same for the pigpens.

You shouldn't have significant flow problems now that you've closed the drain's floodgates.  You just need to wait for evaporation on what's left.

Your digs belowground are all massive squares.  There's no walls to help control pathing, there's no traffic areas to help keep dwarves on the straight and narrow.  Level 135 alone is probably chewing up horrendous amounts of FPS.  Here's a great example.  Your Dining Hall is about 45 x 25.  The pathing to get into it isn't so bad (it's near central stairs) but that's just HUGE.  Also, you don't need to keep your booze there, just food nearby. Booze is drank where it lies.

Your stockpiles are monstrous, and in the center of the room, causing everyone who wants to do something past it to have to path over a 15x15 stockpile, sometimes twice.  A hallway next to it with walls and a little selective traffic controls would do wonders.

Level 115 is a perfect example of where to drop some spare walls and heavy restrictions.  The burial grounds don't need anyone to path there except when they're buring someone.  d-o-r the entire north half.  Wall up the entry to the south half until you need that space, to remove it completely from the algorithm.

Cavern 1 (114) is pretty open.  There's just not much to do about that, but you could wall up the northern exploratory tunnel and remove that from the pathfinder.  You might also think about locking the hatches when you don't have anything down there you want done.  Although, I have to ask... what's with the thousand doors of doom?

In general though this doesn't look too bad, just some minor tweaks.  Your flows are controlled and I think you'll get a bit better when the water finishes evaporating.  Seal up your exploratory tunnels, get some traffic controls going for your massive stockpiles and upstairs areas, and you should see some improvements. 

On a side note, anytime I need a stockpile larger than 10x10 (except for barrelled items) I quantum stockpile the results.  I also like to build supply stockpiles above/below the workshops with direct access stairways, so the only people who need to path through that space are the ones doing work in the workshops themselves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »

Well, it flunctuate between the 30s and 40s, depending on what's going on. As for the stockpiles, I'm not really sure how to design the stockpiles well. Workshop design and stuff I'm okay with, it's just that I tend to default to the huge room stockpiles.

Lol, the 'thousand doors of doom' was meant for a FB distraction/capture device, but since I walled off the first caverns, it became unneeded and forgot about it