Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Rewolucja! A Game of Revolution and Uprisings TURN 7  (Read 17758 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Rewolucja! A Game of Revolution and Uprisings REVOLUTION
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2013, 02:22:19 pm »

Oh, something interesting I found. Best way to wear someone down, if you don't particularly care about driving them out, is to send a group just barely over a fifth of their combat strength. They'll take more casualties than you in most cases. If you have an extra personality, especially an Aggresive one, it just gets better.

Example: No one commands 1000 troops, and are sent to attacks a player province at Control 3, with 2000 troops in it. Effective combat strength is 1000, while the defender's is 4000. A little over a fifth, just to be on the safe side. They lose, of course, and take, let's say 19% Casualties, or 190 people. Their opponent takes, let's say, 7% casualties. Or about 140 people. And these are pretty favorable conditions for the defender, the only thing making it better for him being them using 3999 troops, or IS being more favorable towards the Defender and less for the Aggressor. And while there's a discrepancy in the number of men lost between the two, it's not much, and a war of attrition will favor the aggressor if he has higher income. If. But this is also between two players.

But now let's look at a more current view, and a more favorable one for the aggressor. Also, one that doesn't involve us trying to kill each other. Only Ghazkull. Let's say I had an Aggressive personality taking command of troops and attacking Drawno, which now has 12,400 troops in it, So I would only need 830 troops to reach over 1/5th combat strength. My effective combat strength would be 2490, and theirs would be 12400. One fifth of 12400 is 2480. Outnumbered over ten to one, they are handily defeated, but with grave losses. The Rebels take 23% casualties, if we go off my IS, or about 191 people die. On the other hand, the Rostovian's take 15% casualties. Or about 1860 people. Ten to one ratio. Those rebels sold their lives dearly, let me tell you. And of course, these are pretty favorable conditions for the attacker, the only possible improvement being if they had 10 IS, rather than the crappy 6 IS I have.

Next turn, that player/I could repeat the process, recruiting 66 people and sending 705(we/they had more than 800 people there in the first place after all) people this time. Possibly with another player spreading Propaganda or Investing in the province to improve IS for them/me. This time, then, 2115 combat strength goes up against 10540. Still over a fifth. Rebels lose, of course, but harass the Rostovian's and take, let's say the IS improved by 2(either two people used it and changed it by one, or a Writer spread Propaganda) so 19% casualties. 134 funerals. The Rostovians, on the other hand, truly have reason to mourn, for they just lost 15% of their force again, or 1581 soldiers. They've only got 8959 men there now.

Next turn, it repeats, and again, let's just say the IS improved by two. It's now at full, so we recruit 29 people and invade again, with 600 troops. 1800 combat strength against 8959, lose again, both sides take 15% casualties. 90 Rebels die, and 1344 Rostovians aren't going home to their families. Next turn, they don't even have to recruit anyone. 510 troops is enough to reach over one fifth strength. But now the Rostovians are getting smart. They've claimed what they needed to elsewhere in the last three turns, and just want to wait for reinforcements to increase. So they Husband Resources. Strength 7615 defeats strength 1530. 7.5% casualties this time, 15% for the Witkovians, and 77 Freedom Fighters become Martyrs, whilst 572 Husbands, Fathers, and Sons become sources of tragedy for their families.

They aren't being forced out of the province. But they're still taking incredible casualties. Is this a particularly morale tactic? No. It's the equivalent of suicide bombing. But now you see why suicide bombing is so effective.

tl;dr: Send barely enough troops to actually get a fight and you kill more of them than they kill of you. Or, to put it another way, strap explosives to people and send them running in with shotguns and grenade launchers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:38:34 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »

actually on second thought let's leave these tactics open for everyone to use

now i won't have to exploit game mechanics! you do it instead. =w= i'm off to conquer land yo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:36:38 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »

While that tactic technically works, I think it feels a little gamey and seems like an oversight on the game rules. Not sure what I'd to fix it, but maybe put a cap on losses based on the size on the forces. like (35%-IS*2)*(size of enemy force/size of your force) That way if you're heavily outnumbered you'll take heavier losses and won't lose as many men?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:42:33 pm by Knave »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »

Eh...but then they won't take very many casualties if I had that Aggresive personality just grab 4150 troops straight off the bat and invade, and I'll take huge ones, but I will have both won, and shoved a larger force out of the province. But, they don't have anyone commanding them to give guidance or order a tactical retreat, and we do. They'd barely take 11.67% casualties, while we'd be hit by 27%. And yet we won? And not only did we win, we were the attackers, and they had more people than us? What?

Either way it's not incredibly realistic, but it's being abstracted anyway. An ambush set for Rostovian troops or a heavily fortified bunker is treated the same in terms of force multipliers. Think of it as the populace helping to create diversion, set off bombs, form protests, etc., while our concentrated and elite force causes havoc in their base. We get pushed back/retreat, but the confusion causes a lot of casualties, from civilians and Witkovians alike, and a tactical withdrawal minimizes our own.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »

Urist, you mind overthrowing for me in Bystra if you could kindly do so?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2013, 07:56:23 pm »

Sure. Lucious wants Rostovians out!

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2013, 09:18:34 am »

okay  then time for my moves.

The Lord Phantom will try to gain support for his Brigade. The rest of the money is for recruiting troops.

Making it clear now area 3 will be under our control those rostavians won't get lucky twice.

EDIT: What rolegeek said...that could be a thing we don't have anyything else do we?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:43:59 am by 3man75 »

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2013, 10:14:47 am »

Besides fighting honorably? No, I suppose not.
I doubt Rostov is going to concentrate it's troops so much that they lose more than they gain each turn in reinforcements, though. Especially now that they know you're considering it.

Also consider that, although we have the edge in attrition, we have a limited number of soldiers we can field at any one time, due to Manpower. Rostov can turtle and amass literally hundreds of thousands of soldiers... not to mention the personalities they get with every major army.

Might I suggest everyone turtling in Recz attack Drawno before that army gets any bigger? Divide and conquer is basic strategy, and if you let the enemy concentrate his forces much more... you guys have 6399 troops there, which with a Command is just enough.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2013, 11:56:37 am »

Besides fighting honorably? No, I suppose not.
I doubt Rostov is going to concentrate it's troops so much that they lose more than they gain each turn in reinforcements, though. Especially now that they know you're considering it.

Also consider that, although we have the edge in attrition, we have a limited number of soldiers we can field at any one time, due to Manpower. Rostov can turtle and amass literally hundreds of thousands of soldiers... not to mention the personalities they get with every major army.

Might I suggest everyone turtling in Recz attack Drawno before that army gets any bigger? Divide and conquer is basic strategy, and if you let the enemy concentrate his forces much more... you guys have 6399 troops there, which with a Command is just enough.

With the recognition i get plus the provinces i conquer ill have a second "master assasin" just waiting for them. But still we need to dislodge them and put them on the run now.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2013, 12:53:38 pm »

The LDW politely requests the the TWU stays outside of Pila's outskirts, due to considering that it's claimed territory.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2013, 01:45:06 pm »

The LDW politely requests the the TWU stays outside of Pila's outskirts, due to considering that it's claimed territory.

It looks like Rostov controls everything around Pila right now; we should be working together to free it.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »

I thought of an idea. How about a new faction - the civilian Rostovian-implemented government which is desperately trying to calm the rebellions before the whole Rostovian army gets sent in and they are executed for treasonous failure?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:25:35 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:28 pm »

I thought of an idea. How about a new faction - the civilian Rostovian-implemented government which is desperately trying to calm the rebellions before the whole Rostovian army gets sent in and they are executed for treasonous failure?
We aren't factions...and i doubt that would be of much use because in the end if we don't have the resources or they put order to 2 then we all lose.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »

It's a bit late for that. Besides, I'm not entirely sure what the faction would do besides sit around and look completely impotent.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »

Good point. Forget that then, and go back to glorious revolution
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18