Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tigerman and the Vamp...a great buddy movie?  (Read 620 times)

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
Tigerman and the Vamp...a great buddy movie?
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:02:45 pm »

I have a Tigerman(tame) and a vampire in my current fort. The Tigerman eats, drinks from a pool, sleeps and eats. Oh, did I mention he eats. I haven't done the !!science!! to put a precise figure on it, though I am sure he eats at least five times as much as a dwarf.

Mawada Rifafvime, Tigerman.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I digress. The important thing is he sleeps - and this means the vamp can feed from him. I would like to see if frequent feeding will keep the vampire mobile enough to be a viable combatant. I've been hunting around and I can't find a definitive answer to this question; is it possible for the vampire to feed from the Tigerman, long-term, without draining him? I ask because I am about to embark on building an iron citadel, and their accommodation would be a key element of the design.

I would also like to have a bling collar made for the Tigerman. If I have the Tigerman leashed to a chain, does he continue to 'wear' the chain after the building has been deconstructed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Tigerman and the Vamp...a great buddy movie?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:45:04 pm »

To my knowledge, anyone bit by a vampire is always completely drained. But the wiki says that it is possible for the victim to survive, though it is rare.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Vampire

As for the collar, I've never tried it, but the wiki says deconstructing a chain/rope while an animal is still chained to it will allow it to "wear" the restraint.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Restraint

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »

Some creatures survive being bitten by vampires, others do not.  This is by individual creature and incident, not by species. A blanket statement like "dwarfs die when bitten" or "dwarves don't die when bitten" is incorrect.  Survivors of a bite will tend to be "Pale" but alive.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the likelihood of a vampire's bite killing its victim is related to how long it's been since the vampire last fed from anyone.  IE a thirstier vampire takes more blood which brings the victim closer to death.  I have no idea whether a victim can recover lost blood faster than the vampire takes it, if a vampire is attempting frequent feedings from the same individual.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:44:57 pm »

creature size matters too. No matter how thirsty, a vampire will have a hard time draining a full grown elephant
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »

Sadly, dwarf vampires are still [alcohol_dependent] so even if he drinks blood all day, every day he will still slow down. However, the attribute gains from being a vampire do help level this out, so even if he isn't amazingly fast, he won't be the slowest dwarf in your fort either. And the fact that he can train uninterrupted forever mean that if you get a squad of three vamps, set to train 2 minimum all the time, then they will have, like, 5 year sparring matches, so they gain skill very quickly. They only have average speed, but the rest of their attributes are really good, so even with their alcohol withdrawal, they are still great soldiers.

Sorry if I got a little off the point there.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »

Sadly, dwarf vampires are still [alcohol_dependent] so even if he drinks blood all day, every day he will still slow down.

Noooooo!
...the fact that he can train uninterrupted forever mean that if you get a squad of three vamps, set to train 2 minimum all the time, then they will have, like, 5 year sparring matches, so they gain skill very quickly. They only have average speed, but the rest of their attributes are really good, so even with their alcohol withdrawal, they are still great soldiers.
Okay, I'm going to create a Vamp-U well and add a couple more members to the vamp axeman squad. A few of them might be useful to put the smackdown on poisonous FBs whilst I'm waiting for a Webber.