Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A New +Challenge+  (Read 2384 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: A New +Challenge+
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »

I once spent all of my embark points on rabbits. Just fuck tons of rabbits.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »

After embarking on your chosen location, you should survive only off of one type of animal! All trade goods have to be from that animal, all clothing, all weapons, all food and drink (may want to mod in an alcoholic milk drink)! I think it's well do-able. Call your fort New Zealand and make the sheep your animal of choice :P.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »

Be authentic; call it Mongolia, and use horses.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

As I think most of us have, I have played this game to death. I love it.
I have embarked on mountains, beaches, tundra's, deserts and swamps with aquifers. I have taken a leaf out of Sphalerites book of farming the ocean (specifically for sea serpents) with cage traps, and half-successfully colonised the Circus (eventually ended with !FUN!), I've even done a one military dwarf at a time challenges. I have done a few one pick challenges, and a bunch of above-ground only forts. But now I spend most of my time making forts just for use in Adventure mode. I need a new challenge to attempt (and hopefully fail many times at).

I'm currently embarking on an Evil Glacier biome, but can any of you suggest any new ways of playing?

Challenging, or just interesting and fun, all suggestions are very welcome and encouraged.

EDIT: Also, can anyone suggest interesting things to try, or methods of play, like making above ground forts, surface-only farming/food gathering, cavern-colinising, domestic animals only, etc?

The hardest kind of embark would be the no-supplies-on-a-glacier embark. If you do not have access to any other biome, then I can see it becoming a very difficult embark indeed, because you only have three logs from your wagon and the two animals driving it. Without any water or plants to make alcohol, you cannot make anything to drink. The only way to survive is to make it to the first migration wave, and hope a miner comes (else you will have to savescum).

You can make this more survivable by embarking with a large enough amount of booze (and possibly food as well) to last to autumn.

A better kind of survival challenge will provide you with the tools to survive (i.e. picks and an anvil) but require you to find the items you need, i.e. dig through the ice, find stone to build with, find a cavern to get plants and seeds.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MaxMoore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 08:15:42 pm »

Not sure if it has been done, I haven't seen it....

Slave camp: You may have any minimal embark but no skills. You will be required to OFFER an increasing amount to the mountain homes every year until you assume that title. Based on a per dwarf and/or doubling rate. You may still trade with anything extra you make. You may not trade more than 10000/year with other civs. You may defend from attack, but you may not start a war by offensively taking a human caravan. (You may kill elves, but must trash their worthless items.)  You may increase/decrease the amount required to adjust difficulty. If you fail to meet the quota, your dwarves are culled and you must abandon the fortress. How much can you offer and still become the MH?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »

Temple of Tonatiuh: construct a mayan temple (traps optional, but highly recommended) and sacrifice one dwarf to the top of the temple every year.

The foundation: create a stone layer specifically to hold forgotten beasts. from that point on, you must capture every forgotten beast and contain it in that layer.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:05 am »

Haunted Fortress: You may not bury or memorialize dwarves.

Bonus 1: Embark in a haunted biome.
     Bonus 2: You may not dispose of dwarf corpses.

Phoenixon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52:07 am »

The Popularity Challenge: You must create a thriving youtube channel with nothing but DF content and achieve 10k+ subscribers.

Good luck!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 07:26:43 am »

Not sure if it has been done, I haven't seen it....

Slave camp: You may have any minimal embark but no skills. You will be required to OFFER an increasing amount to the mountain homes every year until you assume that title. Based on a per dwarf and/or doubling rate. You may still trade with anything extra you make. You may not trade more than 10000/year with other civs. You may defend from attack, but you may not start a war by offensively taking a human caravan. (You may kill elves, but must trash their worthless items.)  You may increase/decrease the amount required to adjust difficulty. If you fail to meet the quota, your dwarves are culled and you must abandon the fortress. How much can you offer and still become the MH?

Bonus: only feed your dwarves raw rat weed, sewer brew (made from rat weed) is the only booze. Lowest-value crop.
Pages: 1 [2]