Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to use dwarven atom smasher?  (Read 2149 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to use dwarven atom smasher?
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:15 pm »

How do you use a das? If you use a dump zone, the stone queued for dumping may be destroyed. Thanks!
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: How to use dwarven atom smasher?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »

Well, I don't dump stone, I quantum stockpile it, so I avoid most issues with the atom smasher.

In general I use a drop-dump to the atom smasher to make sure no dwarves are accidentally in the way of the bridge.  I also typically have 3/4 dump sites around the fortress, most of them inactive.  The main dump is usually active for dumping to the smasher, the rest are turned on when needed (such as stripping down captured goblins).

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:55:30 pm »

How do you use a das? If you use a dump zone, the stone queued for dumping may be destroyed. Thanks!

That's sort of the point of a das. To destroy stuff.

Now if you want to have your cake and eat it too, you have a couple of different options.

1. Define and remove garbage zones as needed to both destroy the stuff you want destroyed and quantum stockpile your stones. e.g.
    Define dump zone for stones... Mark and recover stones at dump zone.
    Delete dump zone for stones.  Make new dump zone at das. Mark garbage to be dumped. Cycle das. Delete dump zone on das. Repeat from beginning.

or you can use a different method of implementing a quantum stockpile that doesn't use dump zones. Then you can use your dump zones on the das only and don't worry about any stone you wish to keep being smashed in oblivion. Minecarts are wonderful for this purpose. For my stone stockpile, I'll generally use the following configuration.
feeder piles. Each pile is 4x1 in size. Has 3 wheel barrows assigned. I'll use 3 or 4 feeder piles right next to a minecart.
Then I have 1 minecart.
And finally a quantum pile that the minecart dumps into.

Advantage is that since I'm using wheelbarrows, the dwarves can carry the stone at high speed to the stock pile. And I can have a nice number of active carrying tasks running at the same time. If you want to get clever, you can have several minecarts pulling from the same set of stockpiles and sort. For instance, same 3 feeder piles, except output is from two minecarts. One grabbing only magma-safe stone, the other grabbing everything else.....

Erofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Call Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »

Try setting burrows for your dwarves. Let's say you have 3 areas

A - Your Main Fortress (stockpiles)
B - Your Mines
C - A Dump Site

Set your resource hauling dwarves to only dump in A & B
Set janitor dwarves to only dump in A & C

This will prevent items from B going into C directly. This might not be terrible efficient with cross pollination but I had specific routes so it was not a problem.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »

The solution is to simply designate several dump zones for different items, and using i on each to make them active or inactive.

Stones can be easily designated for dumping or undumping, so simply dump in sessions. Only dump stone when nothing else needs dumping.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.