Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher - A philosophy version of Phoenix Wright  (Read 10279 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher - A philosophy version of Phoenix Wright
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:23 pm »

That's actually true for a lot of countries, like France.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »

I enjoyed Voltaire's brief cameo, and Thomas Hobbs intro was flipping incredible. But yeah, surprisingly sneaky presentation of educational material. This could be a useful piece of review material for Philosophy 101... and I think people could learn a bit about proper techniques to use in a debate too.

I'm sad that "Your Face Is Ugly" wasn't worked in as a valid argument at some point... like "Why does the Arbiter wear a mask? He only believes he has to wear one because his face is looks like a baboon's backside."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »

I never tried it.  If I play again, Hobbes is getting the full treatment.

(I also sort of wonder if Mills would have a cool segment with more of Ari's fangirling)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »

I particularly liked the part with the hypothetical world where innocent until proven guilty is not accepted.

"Might make an interesting game, though."

I tip my hat to the creator for that.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 12:32:35 am »

I really enjoyed this game.  My major problem with it was trying to figure out which Statement to use the correct Correction on.  Besides that it was really pretty fun, if a little easy, considering I never died.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:14 am »

Wow, the last debate was really easy. Game was truly educational, too. Never even heard of Intentionalism before now.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 01:41:41 am »

It was intentionally unrevealed, because A) it was wrong anyway and B) they probably didn't want to commit to something that would characterize Socrates, and existing historical figure, in much of a new way.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 04:21:55 am »

Though I called the ending, there were moments that genuinely surprised me. For instance, the sudden shift in tone right after the first debate. And the twist that followed when they announced that my next opponent was going to be Nietzsche. I did not see that coming. But it was a great way to bring it all together.

This is Fan Fiction done right... or whatever the equivalent of Fan Fiction is for Video Games. It respects what made people love the original, while also bringing something new to the table. Very well done.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 07:13:38 am »

It was intentionally unrevealed, because A) it was wrong anyway and B) they probably didn't want to commit to something that would characterize Socrates, and existing historical figure, in much of a new way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the non-spoilered part, am I the only person who thinks Kant looks better with the moustache (ending cinematic one)?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 07:26:52 am »

Yea I find the game weird in how you have to collect ideas to counter argument. And the way you have to ask specific questions about specific things to unlock the discussion... I don't know, it felt unnatural. For the first guy, my own counter argument would have been "there is no proof of the existence of any god", but it wasn't even an option. I had to follow a walkthrough every step of the way except for the tutorial salesmen...
That's pretty seriously silly. You're in an afterlife surrounded by philosophers and you think it makes sense to say something like that? But really I wanted to bring up any of the countless stories of gods doing things abhorrent to human morality, Saturn anyone?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:26 am »

You're in an afterlife surrounded by philosophers and you think it makes sense to say something like that?
Yes. It would get them to propose proofs of gods or propose interesting ways of working around the question. It would be an educational experience.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:07 am »

It was an interesting game, although
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of the philosophers were decently easy. Mills was the only one that really gave me trouble because I had conceived the basis of his Act Utilitarianism beforehand, thereby agreeing and accepting it without much thought as to its flaws. Kant wasn't too much trouble, no matter how many definitions he set forth.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:27:08 am by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 10:40:30 am »

You know guys, we really need a Philosophy thread.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 10:48:51 am »

There probably is one in the general discussion.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4