Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baroness gone wild  (Read 871 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baroness gone wild
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

I laughed it off when the baroness threw a tantrum because a 'lesser' person had a pretentious dining room.  eventually however the fact that the lowly mayor had an equally luxurious dining room caused her to completely flip her nut.  She went berserk and attacked the dwarf at hand, her husband the baron consort.  I paused and saw that he was unconscious, so I dispatched a squad enlisted from nearby citizens in an attempt to save his life (just seemed like the right thing to do).  They arrived too late and she killed one of them as well before the common good was protected.  (you COULD make this stuff up, but no one would believe you)

So my questions are these:
1) can I get that murdering wench's corpse out of that fancy tomb? 
2) is the dwarf home going to set up a new baron?
3) do I seriously need to tweak rooms to keep this from happening again?  or was she just unbalanced?  Can I check the exact value of a room or just its 'level' ?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baroness gone wild
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:27:56 am »

1. You could try deconstructing the coffin and dumping the remains or something. You will still have to set up a memorial slab somewhere unless you want her ghost to come back.

2. I don't know. I have read about the bug where if the baron(ess) dies, you won't be able to get to the higher noble positions or appoint a new baron. I've been declining the barony for my current fort for this reason.

3. Yeah you'll have to drop down the quality level of the mayors rooms. You can see the room quality level by looking at the 'n' menu and looking at that particular noble. I don't think you can see the exact value.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:25 am »

1: yes, you can get the remains out of the tomb, but as described it's some work.

2: no

3: Not really that much. Most likely there were other things that were making her unhappy, such as failed mandates, justice that goes undone, a friend that died recently, an enemy that failed to die recently, etc.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:42:02 pm »

3: Not really that much. Most likely there were other things that were making her unhappy, such as failed mandates, justice that goes undone, a friend that died recently, an enemy that failed to die recently, etc.

While possible you are right its also possible that the room was the only cause.   that pretentious acomidations bad thought is fairly good sized and can stack.   I had a newly promoted barron go from estatic to compleatly misrible in one fell swoop due to my 80 bed royal mass beddroom in one fort. that was 80 beds set to max sized rooms in a large room with enough engravings and furnature to make all the rooms royal.   I've also had other barrons get more and more upset with only that 1 bad thought if ignored for long enough.

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »

The unfortunate thing about the pretentious subordinate bad thought is that it doesn't matter if the mayor's room is less spectacular than the baroness's; if it's higher-quality than the mayor is supposed to have, then she'll have a bad thought, even if her own accommodations include five masterwork platinum statues, an artifact bed, dining table and throne, and a lever in the throne room with 50 masterwork steel mechanisms in it.

On the other hand, if her rooms are fancy enough, the goods thoughts she gets from them should be enough to outweigh the pretentiousness bad thought.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:36:34 pm »

Well dang.  I'll have to figure out what sized rooms fully engraved equal each level

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

The unfortunate thing about the pretentious subordinate bad thought is that it doesn't matter if the mayor's room is less spectacular than the baroness's; if it's higher-quality than the mayor is supposed to have, then she'll have a bad thought, even if her own accommodations include five masterwork platinum statues, an artifact bed, dining table and throne, and a lever in the throne room with 50 masterwork steel mechanisms in it.

On the other hand, if her rooms are fancy enough, the goods thoughts she gets from them should be enough to outweigh the pretentiousness bad thought.

Ouch. Does that "pretentious subordinate" bad thought occur whenever any other dwarf has a room about his/her standing? I'm thinking about the common peon accommodations. With dense housing making a lot of 3x1 rooms and smoothing them, depending upon which room got the smoothed wall and the quality level of the bed, cabinet and chest, the quality can range from meager to decent. Considering that the mayor requires decent quarters, a commoner may be "pretentious" if their own room is decent.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 02:54:11 am »

Even with the Baron dead, your fortress will be promoted to County and Duchy and eventually Mountainhome.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:52:11 am »

I don't believe the Mayor has to deal with this, so your common housing should be fine.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

I don't think that's true.  I've heard lots of conflicting things about this.  Specifically, one of the things I've heard is that a noble will only experience this thought if her own rooms are not up to par yet.

In my own fortresses, I have never had the "lesser's pretentious arrangements" thought occur after I finally managed to get the noble's rooms all up to "white" level.  Of course, getting there can be rough, and the "pretentious" thought will definitely occur while I'm still struggling to raise the room values.

The wiki's explanation is rather vague and I'm not convinced it is correct.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:41 am »

Just to add data to the continuing discussion: both the baroness and the mayor had royal dining rooms.  I was not aware of the baroness's bad thought prior to her getting her rooms renovated.  (that doesn't prove anything, but I was definitely aware after she was set up)