Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 213

Author Topic: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game  (Read 259714 times)

Travisplo

• Bay Watcher
  • Lich with Bumps of grandeur! The Necromonsieur!
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game
« Reply #1890 on: November 19, 2013, 07:53:02 pm »

Can someone post a link to this stuff? I'm... not really versed in cthulian mythos. And YES UPDATE! Also, two sg games that have been good and not updated in a while update within a day of each other? Hmm... :P
Heh, I posted that as a joke. Then again, this is Bay12 and this plan is crazy enough to work...
Bump all day, bump all night, yeah this thread needs a bump alright!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: November 19, 2013, 07:53:44 pm »

Can someone post a link to this stuff? I'm... not really versed in cthulian mythos. And YES UPDATE! Also, two sg games that have been good and not updated in a while update within a day of each other? Hmm... :P
What was the other one?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: November 19, 2013, 07:55:18 pm »

Can somebody explain what is the yellow king thing about? I'm not a fan of the Cthulhu mythos, I have only read Call of Cthulhu

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: November 19, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »

The clue is Cthulhu.

I am so reminded of this song I so love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut82TDjciSg

Hey there Cthulhu indeed.

So.  The two I believe I know the most about:

Yellow King. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

It's a collection of short stories, three of which have a yellow/death/madness theme.

This book is believed to have been a primary inspiration for Lovecraft, the writer who 'created' Cthulhu.

The first, about a fictional play, 'The King in Yellow', supposedly those who read the play are forever changed in eerie but not necessarily evil ways, that the first act is ordinary but the second, to only see the first page of the second act is to be drawn in and unable to avoid reading the rest.

The second, a story about a specific King in Yellow, a supernatural and dangerous entity.

The third, the Yellow Sign, it drove people mad.

Much later 'The King in Yellow' was borrowed (for the Mythos RPG) to become an avatar for he who's name must not be said (Hastur), who has a mask, to remove its face with the mask removed is to go insane.

The Sleeper:

There's SO many great powers asleep in the Cthulhu mythos, from Cthulhu itself to ohh, so many great powers.  Most of them should sleep, should and yes.

But these are names, names for Psisquid to take... or rather share?

The name Nihilism.  The belief that traditional morals, goals, values have no meaning.  Some adherents take pleasure immediate as is all there is or should be.  It's not a very disciplined path.

Conflagration, as a name.  Burning, not tearer or devourer, but the unstopable burning of all.  We're right beside a volcano.  The power of this one is so, so very close.  But no.  No.

The Sleeper, to share as a name.  No.  So many sleepers, so much might wake through Psisquid.  But too, he might join their sleep.  He might grow slower, sluggish.  Names have powers, powers have price.

Yellow King.  A concept from my childhood, the yellow king and his throne, alone upon an endless checker-board like field that compromises both the ground and the sky.  There is only him there, if there is anything at all.  Mystery.  Power.  Secrets.  Insanity.  Allure.

Yes.

Any and every bit of vote I am allowed, for Psisquid who is to me my avatar here - I say Yellow King.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #1894 on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:36 pm »

Yellow king!

Have fun eyes!
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: November 19, 2013, 08:49:39 pm »

Googling Cthulhu + Conflagration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities

Specifically:

Cthugha The Living Flame,
The Burning One Appears as a living conflagration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthugha

Essentially sentient fire.

Cthulhu and nihilism leads to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicism

Cosmicism is a philosophy created/used by Lovecraft as the world-view foundation in his writings:

The philosophy of cosmicism states that there is no recognizable divine presence, such as a god, in the universe, and that humans are particularly insignificant in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence, and perhaps are just a small species projecting their own mental idolatries onto the vast cosmos, ever susceptible to being wiped from existence at any moment. This also suggested that the majority of undiscerning humanity are creatures with the same significance as insects and plants in a much greater struggle between greater forces which, due to humanity's small, visionless and unimportant nature, it does not recognize.

Perhaps the most prominent theme in cosmicism is the utter insignificance of humanity. Lovecraft believed that "the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'. Only egotism exists."

Cthulhu and sleeper:

That's really hard to specifically research.  Basically there's the 'not so evil' Elder gods that kinda created man but really are keeping all sorts of baddies 'defeated'.  But the fight's not over, the baddies can't ever really die, and almost -anything- can become something that starts to wake them up. And when any of these old weird powers start to wake up, they start to win and all sorts of chaos and horrid happenings (which usually don't make any sense to those who perceive them) occur.

Some sleepers are worse than others, some sleepers even seem 'useful' for a time.  The reigning concept is humanity is doomed, at best food for the powers that wake, at worse our suffering's so meaningless and undetectable we might even accidentally be allowed to suffer forever as an unnoticed side effect to actions about 'what really matters' to these far greater powers.

One answer is RUN... that's the good wise human answer.

Yellow King, please.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: November 19, 2013, 08:57:02 pm »

I wouldn't choose anything if we had the choice to do so, but now we are in a position of minimizing loses, as I don't think that we will get anything good.

So, from my point of view, the Yellow King is the least dangerous one. It would only cause Psysquid to be even weirder or insane than usual. That's completely OK for me.

Pseudo edit:
They are words.

Yellow King
Nihilism
Conflagration
Sleeper

You feel as if you could choose one of the following names.
Then again, you are reminded that great powers...
Have prices attached.
But you feel fine. You feel...nothing bad is going to happen to you in particular. You're Psysquid. Nothing can go wrong.

DO NOT CHOOSE ANYTHING.

Travisplo

• Bay Watcher
  • Lich with Bumps of grandeur! The Necromonsieur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: November 19, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »

The Warrens of Oric The Awesome updated yesterday. Yellow King me baby!
Heh, I posted that as a joke. Then again, this is Bay12 and this plan is crazy enough to work...
Bump all day, bump all night, yeah this thread needs a bump alright!

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: November 19, 2013, 09:36:17 pm »

First of all:

HELL YEAH SHADENIGHT'S ALIVE!

Then:
The clue is Cthulhu.

I am so reminded of this song I so love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut82TDjciSg

Hey there Cthulhu indeed.

So.  The two I believe I know the most about:

Yellow King. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

It's a collection of short stories, three of which have a yellow/death/madness theme.

This book is believed to have been a primary inspiration for Lovecraft, the writer who 'created' Cthulhu.

The first, about a fictional play, 'The King in Yellow', supposedly those who read the play are forever changed in eerie but not necessarily evil ways, that the first act is ordinary but the second, to only see the first page of the second act is to be drawn in and unable to avoid reading the rest.

The second, a story about a specific King in Yellow, a supernatural and dangerous entity.

The third, the Yellow Sign, it drove people mad.

Much later 'The King in Yellow' was borrowed (for the Mythos RPG) to become an avatar for he who's name must not be said (Hastur), who has a mask, to remove its face with the mask removed is to go insane.

The Sleeper:

There's SO many great powers asleep in the Cthulhu mythos, from Cthulhu itself to ohh, so many great powers.  Most of them should sleep, should and yes.

But these are names, names for Psisquid to take... or rather share?

The name Nihilism.  The belief that traditional morals, goals, values have no meaning.  Some adherents take pleasure immediate as is all there is or should be.  It's not a very disciplined path.

Conflagration, as a name.  Burning, not tearer or devourer, but the unstopable burning of all.  We're right beside a volcano.  The power of this one is so, so very close.  But no.  No.

The Sleeper, to share as a name.  No.  So many sleepers, so much might wake through Psisquid.  But too, he might join their sleep.  He might grow slower, sluggish.  Names have powers, powers have price.

Yellow King.  A concept from my childhood, the yellow king and his throne, alone upon an endless checker-board like field that compromises both the ground and the sky.  There is only him there, if there is anything at all.  Mystery.  Power.  Secrets.  Insanity.  Allure.

Yes.

Any and every bit of vote I am allowed, for Psisquid who is to me my avatar here - I say Yellow King.
...This man seems like he knows what he's talking about. And since I'm basically ignorant on Ctulhu stuff...
I'm voting after him.
YELLOW KING.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: November 19, 2013, 09:46:51 pm »

...This man seems like he knows what he's talking about. And since I'm basically ignorant on Ctulhu stuff...
I'm voting after him.
YELLOW KING.

I happen to be female  :P

None the less, I am SOOOOO glad that there are other votes for Yellow King.

Sorry Tomcost.  I don't oppose your human preference.  I don't want the story ending either.  But I don't think we risk that at all.

Mmmm.  Yellow King.  -And- Psisquid.  My imagination delights!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: November 19, 2013, 09:49:20 pm »

I would rather have Conflagration, due to the fact if he goes all betrayal on us, he has several thousands tons of water constantly seering his physical form, at every second.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: November 19, 2013, 10:01:23 pm »

Nah Psysquid would never go rogue. Ever. Seriously, he has proven a dozen times his adorableness like when he...
Yeah you catch my meaning. Come on, nothing can ever go wrong on us. We're the evil guy that plays good guy to kill the evil good society, and that's good evil...... We have booze and that's all that matters.

RAISE YOUR GLASSES TO CTHULHU!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:22 pm »

Dark advisors (and only them) have a sort of 'unfairness' meter.  Dark Advisors are the only ones possible who could revolt among our underlings - but it isn't random at all.  Whenever something happens that upsets them and is the Overlord's fault (like favoritism of another advisor, making an advisor do things that they don't want to do, or treating an advisor like crap.... in a way they don't actually like being treated - each advisor probably has their own exact standards as to what is and isn't good treatment) that meter goes towards rebellion - and every time something that the same advisor thinks is right and fair and good treatment that meter goes downwards.

Of our advisors, the only one that I believe is even slightly unhappy is Gamington - we made him go and kill which he disagreed with, and he's disagreed with a few other of our choices.  But I think he is overall still mostly content, we've continued to do other things he does approve of and done things to try and make him happier (like Coghuahua or whatever her name is) - and I believe ALL other of our advisors are pretty much very happy.

At this time, I believe we're close to a 0% risk of rebellion, and we tend to be hyper-sensitive to all of our underling's opinions (compared to the average Evil Overlord).  I don't think at this time rebellion's possible.  In the future .... but we're us.  We flinch fast when we consider upsetting even our monsters, let alone side kicks (and none of those ranks can meaningfully rebel) - we're very good to our Advisors.  I think we're safe from rebellion at least.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:47 pm »

I realized some of us might be wondering where I was making that rebellion stuff up - here's quotes in case.  I broke the spoiler because the explanation is in it and I want that to be easy to see.

"I'm a singer! I'm a ringer! I'm a finger! No, wait...computing..." Gamington tap-dances his way inside, spinning around with his cane and rhythmically dancing.
"Hey boss! Can I ask you a favor?"
You raise an eyebrow.
"I want to go on the next mission! Please! I want to show the world my dances! And my awesome tophat!"

Life with Dark Advisors and you: why should we care?

spoiler]As said above, Dark Advisors are the only one who possess the Misconduct gauge. It is a secret value which fills overtime depending on the level of 'injustice' the Dark Advisors believes to be suffering from, and lowers whenever something is done to make the Dark Advisor feel special. Sometimes two favors might be in contrast, in which case the Overlord can choose a side (boosting one and losing the other) or neither (Losing a little bit from both, unless he comes up with a solution for both favors which is satisfactory, in which case he earns a bonus to both, and might even stop the two sides from bickering further for a while)[/spoiler

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:35 pm »

Yay, your back, sorry to hear about you going to hospital, glad for the update, but you shouldn't push yourself.

Voting Yellow King

Will probably regret it though.
Thanks for the info Imp, was kinda unsure of what to pick before I saw that.

Edit: No matter what I vote for I would probably regret it, Yellow King is pretty cool sounding, especially the name.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:02:34 pm by Cain12 »
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 213