Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming an arms supplier  (Read 2647 times)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Becoming an arms supplier
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:13 pm »

I'm wondering about the future of DF, most immediately regarding the "living world" release coming up -- where the world continues to develop during play rather than remaining almost static after worldgen -- but also concerning farther future developments, the details of which planning I am not very familiar with. The question in my mind right now is this:

At any point in the future of the game (as currently planned) will it be possible to turn the tide of a war between two non-player civs by supplying superior arms and armors to one side in trade? Say for example that the elves and goblins are at war, but you are at peace with both and thus trading with both. Could you supply masterwork crossbows and steel armor to the goblins and therefore give them an edge over the elves?

I'm not familiar enough with the planned features to know if that sort of thing is in the works.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming an arms supplier
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:11:35 am »

Well, true peace with the goblins and having goblin caravans? Perhaps, though I don't know if it goes as deep as that.

In the same vein as the OP, I wonder if you could, in effect, give a smallpox laced blanket to the elves? Basically some FB extract which has a syndrome that works via skin contact and is contaminating one or more items that you trade to the elves.

In theory, a rival civ could do the same to you, but the ai isn't that sophisticated yet.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:31:05 am »

The answer to question of whether or not df will resemble real world more is always yes.
It's the answer to when this will happen that makes people sad.
For equipment affecting non-player battles my guess would be three years.
For bio-terrorism - maybe around 1.0 version.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:30:45 pm »

It all depends on how those items are tracked in the next release. I don't know what happens to the caravan now but in the next release with the living world they will probably be tracked to and from their home city. I know artifacts are ALWAYS tracked in this release,  but research may be needed to determine how mundane, but fortress-made, goods and caravan cargoes are managed.

If nobody knows, I may have my very first !!Science!! experiment...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »

Im playing the current version, and it occured to me while trading to the elves and humans that maybe the steel armour I was selling might turn up against me in an aggressive siege ?

So I did a little research and the current version, the caravan is a sink for goods, ie they disappear when the caravan leaves the map.

Im pretty sure while finding out the answer to this question I read some stuff toady wrote on this subject. I think he said something like "possibly traded items will turn up in shops in the buying civilisation, maybe not more than that soon. Like when I get up the courage to tackle a real economy".

I took this to mean even in the next release whomever you sell arms to will not directly use traded masterwork steel.

Id like to be wrong about this.

I cant wait for the next release with history continuing and the ability to go fight on somone elses turf. Im hoping we will be able to destroy and/or completely depopulate/annihilate a site. Im also curious what will be required in terms of supporting an army in the field.

Roll on the next version.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:46:01 pm by sirdvae79 »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:25:23 pm »

Well, true peace with the goblins and having goblin caravans? Perhaps, though I don't know if it goes as deep as that.

In the same vein as the OP, I wonder if you could, in effect, give a smallpox laced blanket to the elves? Basically some FB extract which has a syndrome that works via skin contact and is contaminating one or more items that you trade to the elves.

In theory, a rival civ could do the same to you, but the ai isn't that sophisticated yet.

goblin caravans are rare but possible now. i used to get them with some regularity a few versions ago. the goblin caravan comes in winter and can bring a few evil-region goods like sliver barb and phantom spider silk (region permitting) that would not otherwise be accessible unless you settle in those regions. they are not really all that exciting, comparable to the human caravan but unguarded

they will only appear when certain unusual worldgen conditions are met.  after a full fledged WAR between two civilizations that does not result in total annihilation for one side, there may be a period of enforced peace (this is a guess). if one of the belligerents was a goblin civ and the other was your civ, the peace will supersede the standard -------- hostile relationship that goblins have with other races and they will send caravans. (again, this is a guess)

i want kobold caravans.  "hihihi giant beard-friend! snogleekus bring you rock... stick... dead bug... used sock... rock... rock..."

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:06 pm »

i want kobold caravans.  "hihihi giant beard-friend! snogleekus bring you rock... stick... dead bug... used sock... rock... rock..."

They'd be great for getting rid of worn-out crap, too.

"Ah, my good friend Jekeremus! It is a shame you have nothing to trade for these, the finest Xx-pig tail fiber tunic-xXs in the land!" The broker casually walks to the other end of the depot, carefully keeping their back to the kobold, who quickly stuffs all the clothes into a sack. "Tradebeerd! Haulbeerd move piggy fibert UNIX  while you bak turn!"

Oh, oh, and they'd probably use pigs to haul their miniature wagons! "Hya! Hya! Go faster, piggy! Going be late for trade!" And...and they wouldn't really understand the concept of trading...they'd just point at things and go "Want!" and when the dwarves would try and get some of the "fine crafts us Kobolds make good! Good craft! We make!", the kobolds would just bare their teeth and hiss. "No, that ours! We make! Good craft! Greedy tradebeerd! You no get! Me no stupid!"

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:00:42 am »

After bitchslapping the Dwarfen liaison and tying him to one of the 'bolds - "Learn thine profession from the masters!" - I will bury the trade depot under mountains of everything plus cave spider silk thongs a plenty.

"Bring. More. Rocks."

(Like elves they probably won't do what you expect from this treatment. All +Steel Shields+ or some such nonsense next year. Damn.)
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 04:34:47 am »

At any point in the future of the game (as currently planned) will it be possible to turn the tide of a war between two non-player civs by supplying superior arms ...

You know, now that I think about it, I'm kinda curious myself.

But only in the sense of developing trade relations with necromancer towers.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 02:08:44 pm »

At any point in the future of the game (as currently planned) will it be possible to turn the tide of a war between two non-player civs by supplying superior arms ...

You know, now that I think about it, I'm kinda curious myself.

But only in the sense of developing trade relations with necromancer towers.

Trade Agreement

Trade Good      Priority
brains              [---|]  MAXIMUM

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:57:39 pm »

Trade Agreement

Trade Good      Priority
brains              [---|]  MAXIMUM

Grey Goo: Greetings from the outer lands. Your efforts are legend there.
Let us trade!

Grey Goo seems willing to trade.

Bumblebee Brains 1☼ <1┌

v: View, good Enter: Mark for trade
s: Seize marked trade: Trade