Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 266818 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:24 am »

Kat rushed into her apartment and locked the door, and with it all the horrible things that had happened that day.

After a quick shower and a small meal of energy bar, orange juice and ham sandwich, Kat reached into her closet and took out the swishest skirt she had-probably left over from senior prom...and, yes it still fit...!

Time to work some magic?

Action: Cast enchant Skirt. On the Skirt.

Spoiler: Kats Inventory (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2013, 08:33:26 am »

Larry reeled from the power.  Well, his mind had been rearranged- the only logical conclusion was that he was being prepared for the next level of power.

With that, it was time to take out the trash.

"Time to fry, potato men!"

Alkaline Trouser Golem Beam, go!  Once the potatoes are chipped, find the way out.

((sorry, thought I had and will do this evening in 2-3 hours now)

Well, that's one immediate problem solved.  Hmmm... maybe ask the book?

"Hey book, how should I get out of here?  Any helpful magic you want to lay on me?"

Consult book.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:51 am »

Halesey mumbles to himself a little before he chooses his brand new magical powers. Immediately as the spells settle into his brain, the reality of the rather traumatized guy at his feet hits him once again. Examining the fellow, Halesey realizes that there are two sides to hideous psychological trauma - the one we usually see, with the post-traumatic stress and whatnot, and the other. This other side smells like an opportunity.

"Dude, I'll swap you this watch for your clothes. Don't try anything funny or you're going back in the potato hole."

The guy on the ground doesn't respond, instead choosing to keep on whimpering while assuming a fetal position. Halesey takes that as a form of consent, and promptly loots the man's clothes, appreciating their grubbiness after prying them off the dude, who doesn't resist. Good for him. Halesey leaves the watch on the now-naked form of the man, making off with the clothes, which consist of a hoodie so grubby, he cannot quite determine what its original color might be, and a pair of woolen slacks of uncertain origin that make him very itchy.

Now, he's got new powers. Time to test them out.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 5-1]

He thrusts his hand outward, and lo, a shield forms! It is made of desks that look like something one would ironically buy at a garage sale if they were completely insufferable people. To be honest, it's embarrassing to be seen with a shield like that in public. Even if it floats under its own power and seems rather solid. Halesey shrugs and keeps on moving, choosing to leave the thing alone for now. It doesn't quite disappear, but it also doesn't follow Halesey, so he supposes it's all right for now - what magical things have been known to last for very long? Rushing onward, he scouts out the back of the former factory. He finds that it has several back entrances, not to mention a fire exit (sure, it only reaches down to the second floor, not having been extended further but Halesey guesses it might still be an option nonetheless). Clearly, a distraction is in order.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 1-->6-1]

However, try as he might, Halesey just doesn't have it in him to summon up a rain of shampoo. It just feels so unnatural for some reason. Come on, shampoo raining from the skies? That can't possibly work. Dinosaurs, maybe. But shampoo?

Quite a long distance away, yet more magic happens, this time wrought by the hands of the somewhat cleaner Kat, who, after picking out a rather swishy skirt from her wardrobe, attempts to enchant it.

[Kat's affinity roll: 6-->5]

Directing her attention to the make of the skirt and the power she can unlock within it, she lets her spell off, watching it run wild through the fabric, infusing it with a particular, mystical power! The skirt glows briefly, then becomes sort of normal-looking after a moment. Kat wonders what might have happened to it. It doesn't look any different, though something definitely happened to it.

Meanwhile, back in the potato dimension, Larry realizes that there is one thing he must definitely do now. The powers that be have granted him spells, and he'll use them, by all the gods one cares to name!

[Larry's affinity roll: 4+1]

He points his palm where he presumes the potato men to be, and lets loose a beam of alkaline trouser golems, which immediately tears through the wall of the cookie barrier, streaming through into the swirling mass of potatoes. The golems, when they come to a rest, try to scurry off quickly, but find nothing solid to try and hold on to, flailing about ineffectively. Larry notices immediately that several potato people set upon the golems, grabbing a few at a time and quickly moving away, then returning to repeat the same thing again.

He guesses they're sufficiently distracted, then! Move out!

[Larry's body roll: 6-->2-1]

Larry dives out of the hole in the barrier and begins to swim for his life, to swim like his swimming coach had always told him to swim, to swim like a cliche wrapped in hot air! He navigates the sea of potatoes, hoping to escape the depths of this tubery hell.

[Larry's mind roll: 2+1]

Sadly, it seems that it takes a bit more than just a strong survival instinct to actually save oneself - Larry swims here, he swims there, he swims everywhere, and it is only after about five minutes of ceaseless, rapid swimming that he manages to see something - a vortex! A small one! He swims toward it, feeling his doughy muscles weaken from the massive exertion, his heart beating like mad. He swims quickly, but alas, it is not quite enough! The vortex, which must have seen his valiant effort, quickly snaps shut! Larry, quite surprised, breathes heavily as he floats through the thick void, potatoes beating against his fragile face in what he hopes better not be a mocking fashion.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2013, 07:54:16 am »

Oh well... Shampoo rain is pretty improbable I guess…

Halesey felt that the magic, though wanting him to act, was also resisting him. He had to fulfil its desires and find the leyline.

Try to get into the factory. Then try to locate the leyline.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:16 am »

Action: Run some tests on the skirt!

Touch it, wear it? see if there's any effect

If there's none, see if the fabric is perhaps enchanted strength-try to snip a bit at it with scissors

Spoiler: Kats Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:58:53 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2013, 07:59:42 am »

Continue browsing the store for any books that look interesting. Because, yeah, gotta love books.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:27 am »

"Motherfucker!"

This was bad.  Stuck in a potato-based vortex with no way to get out.  Hmmm... check those spells?  Well, with no mugs, pudding, or demons around, his options are quite limited.  The golem beam was useful, but it won't help right now.  Larry couldn't see any help from evoking mucus, though it might make him feel better.

At least he won't starve here.

Taste a potato.  Ask the book for help.

"Hey book, any brilliant insight on how to get out of this one?"

((Wow, I butchered that last sheet inclusion.  That's what I get for not previewing.))

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:47 am »

((perhaps you could evoke some filthy mucus in my plane, and have it convey to me that I should really open up another potato portal so you can climb out))

((although let's face it, I'm unlikely to not try to cast it again soon anyway...))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2013, 09:32:26 am »

Halesey, figuring that he doesn't really need any shampoo raining down on his head currently, although it would certainly be nifty, walks up to one of the back entrances and politely knocks. There doesn't seem to be an immediate answer. Hm. What now?

Kat, feeling like there is something to determine here, picks up the skirt.

Suddenly, there is the sound of something massive moving through the air accompanied by the sound of the entire populace of China busily sandpapering something. Huh.

Elizabeth keeps on looking through the various books. She likes books, after all. Books are nice.

About half an hour of browsing turns up three copies of the Holy Bible, Ebonics Version, a rather well-preserved edition of Spawn of Fashan, a copy of The Poacher of Camden: the James H. Hjolgvardsen Story, plus there's a whole bin that's full of obscure Philips CD-i edutainment games. All in all, interesting stuff.

Larry, quite disappointed as well as exhausted, lets loose a cry of frustration.

"Motherfucker!"

Having impotently raged at the void, he resumes his efforts to not die. He begins by catching a potato and putting his mouth over it.

Yep, it's definitely uncooked and tastes accordingly terrible. Okay, something more helpful.

"Hey book, any brilliant insight on how to get out of this one?"

~NO! HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THROWING MORE MAGIC AT THE PROBLEM? IN MY EXPERIENCE, THAT USUALLY HELPS. I CAN EVEN TEACH YOU MORE SPELLS!~

Larry would answer, but he notices a potato man draw near, carrying two trouser golems in its arms. It looks where the vortex once was, extremely disappointed from the looks of it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:57 am »

Action: Drop the skirt, what's that noise! Did this really need to be an action?

((Also, where is the noise coming from? Inside the room? Outside my window? Inside my head?))
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:17:08 am by Dwarmin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:16 am »

Kat lets the skirt slip from her hands, rather put off by the abominable noise. The skirt falls to the ground.

Suddenly, there is a sound that reminds Kat sharply of a rather large airplane swooping about a meter above her head, only this sound seems to be coming from the floor.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:50 am »

((You've made a jetskirt))

Open the door. If this fails, open it harder.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:36 am »

Action: Kat puts the skirt in her bathroom and closes the door experimentally! Is it just really loud or what?

((I'm not on enough drugs to understand whats going on anymore.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2013, 02:54:15 pm »

Crap.

Evade the potatoman!  Evoke the SHIT out of some filthy mucus if I can't get away.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2013, 02:58:04 pm »

((Dwarmin I'm pretty sure you need to put the skirt on and leap, say off the bed, and I'm pretty sure you will fly. Sleep deprivation is almost as good as drugs on a cognitive level.))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 244