Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game not saving when I want it to  (Read 655 times)

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
Game not saving when I want it to
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:25 am »

My game saves at the change of seasons OK, but not otherwise, so I can't save and leave when I want to.
 I save, the comp takes a long time to supposedly save, I close down with the "exit game" option which appears when it is finished, later start up, load the most recent saved game (after checking  in "my computer" to see what that is) and end up at the last end of season save position, with quite a lot of lost work sometimes.
I'm using DF 34.11 via PeridexistErrant via the latest (a few weeks ago) LNP
Any suggestions?
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game not saving when I want it to
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:06:05 am »

Is it just auto saveing or do you have it set to create backups too?  I've had a few times where autosave with bakcups caused me a bit of confusion on what file was the right one.   The most recent save in that case shouldnt have the season tacked onto the end, just the fortress name and the year.

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:18:29 am »

I am creating backups as well as saving, so I get quite a few options on which save to load when I start. I check the relevant files on my C drive to see which is the most recent
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:46:11 am »

The game is still not saving. I just tried saving after the arrival of the last lot of migrants. After I supposedly saved I clicked the option continue playing, and was presented with exactly the same choices that I had when I first started playing. ie, the game had NOT saved.. 
This is getting very frustrating. Is there anywhere else saves could be going except
Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11>data>save  ?
 In that folder there is a "current" folder with nothing in it. That is the only thing in the save folder with the current timer and date. Could that be anything to do with game not saving?
Would I be better off deleting all my saves (by now quite old) and starting out again?

Help please

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:11:58 am »

Are any of those folders or files marked read-only?  Are you running the game with Admin permission?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:12:38 am »

Are any of those folders or files marked read-only?  Are you running the game with Admin permission?

No, not read only
Yes, I am the admin. I don't get asked for any passwords.
Besides, the game was saving a while ago.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:41:34 am »

load the most recent saved game (after checking  in "my computer" to see what that is)
That isn't necessary.

When you first create a world, the folder will be called 'region1' or something similar. If you embark and then save the game yourself, it saves to that 'region1'. If you embark and then an autosave happens, it saves to 'region1' and then creates a copy of that folder whose filename starts with region1 and also the year and season of the autosave. Playing the game a little further and then saving and quitting leaves you with two distinct save folders.

Upon reload, you'll have two choices when you try and load a game. 'region1' is the one you saved to before quitting, and 'region1 [season and year]' is the copy of the save made at the start of the season. Loading 'region1' will get you back to your last save. Any manual saves will be saved to it, and any automatic saves will be copied from it and have the year and season added appropriately.

Loading 'region1 [season and year]' will take you to the save made at the start of the season, which may lose you work. Additionally, manual saves will go to this folder (making it no longer a seasonal save) and automatic saves will copy from this folder and add the year and season of saving, leaving you with a folder called 'region1 [season and year] [more recent season and year]'.

In short, if you embark on the folder called 'region1', only ever load the folder called 'region1'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game not saving when I want it to (resolved)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:46 am »

load the most recent saved game (after checking  in "my computer" to see what that is)
Upon reload, you'll have two choices when you try and load a game. 'region1' is the one you saved to before quitting, and 'region1 [season and year]' is the copy of the save made at the start of the season. Loading 'region1' will get you back to your last save.

In short, if you embark on the folder called 'region1', only ever load the folder called 'region1'.

thank you!
that is most helpful :)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »

To summarize: never load save games whose names end with -[season]-[year]. If you need to revert to a backup, you should rename it first to remove the autobackup suffix.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:52:31 pm »

Also the "current" folder is df's working directory. any assets from your region folder get thrown in there when df is playing with them and cleans them out when it comes time to save