Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Audatia, the realistic medieval swordfighting cardgame.  (Read 4377 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Audatia, the realistic medieval swordfighting cardgame.
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »

Yes, it's quite a mouthful.

Guy Windsor, founder of and teacher at the Helsinki School of European Swordsmanship, has decided to pour his knowledge of medieval swordfighting technique in a card game. The idea was to make it both fun to play and realistic, so that his students would pick up the terms and tactics quickly.

It's a two player game, and each player has a hand of moves, stances and counters. There's also an armor expansion available.

I can't explain this better than the inventor himself, so I'll keep it short: the indiegogo campaign is right here.
If you're interested in swords, cards, and/or realism, be sure to check it out ;)

An example of the cards, but not final:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:05:39 pm by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Harry959

• Bay Watcher
  • Anti-Flanking Bomber Goat
    • View Profile
Re: Audatia, the realistic medieval swordfighting cardgame.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:13:04 pm »

Yes! The terms are a bit wierd, I think they're using French or Italian, but still, German fencing!
EDIT: After looking at the page, I realized the German deck will be released at 50,000€. The two cards you had fooled me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:21:59 pm by Harry959 »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »

The base decks are Italian, yes. There is an unlocked Lady stretch goal, with another set of moves, but they have not yet decided which sword-fighting lass they're going for.
And at this rate, getting to 50000 should be a breeze. Granted, about 75% (?) of the current funds come from one positively insane guy, but still.
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:20:07 pm »

I love the way the words came down on my halfscreen, so the last one had its own line.  Word by word I was like "Yes, yes, yes, yes, huh?
Shoes...

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »

This is definitely me. Thanks.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:00:42 pm »

Will be backing. Italian deck obviously much better than the german terms. Go team Fiorre!

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:23:20 pm »

Looks awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:08:55 pm »

Without even looking at the page this seems very interesting; I never thought longsword fighting could be card game but it makes sense with the different positions and strikes, even with what little knowledge I have.

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:55:42 am »

I'll seriously considering buying into will be getting into this, after looking at the page in detail. Looks really nice!
*Not going to pretend I won't, my love of history alone forces me to throw my money at this.
I really love the artwork too. It's fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:02:36 am by Grand Nagus »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:44 am »

I'll seriously considering buying into will be getting into this, after looking at the page in detail. Looks really nice!
*Not going to pretend I won't, my love of history alone forces me to throw my money at this.

Yeah, this. It's above my entertainment budget, though, so I'll just sit and wait for what people think when it's done. I'm just worried it'd be disappointing or unbalanced/too verbose as a card game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 06:25:54 am »

Yeah, this. It's above my entertainment budget, though, so I'll just sit and wait for what people think when it's done. I'm just worried it'd be disappointing or unbalanced/too verbose as a card game.

I'll let you know how it is as soon as I get it, if you remind me in april next year ;)

I'm seriously considering getting the expansions, I'm a sucker for completeness, and they look interesting... As soon as I get my next paycheck, I think.
*WHACK*

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:04 pm »

The last few days for this funding drive. German sword-fighting techniques have been reached.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 01:21:14 pm »

The last few days for this funding drive. German sword-fighting techniques have been reached.
Dang, hope I've still got enough on my paypal to upgrade... Thanks for the heads-up!
*WHACK*