Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)  (Read 6212 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 12:52:28 am »

Well, according to this article, GFWL isn't dead. They only shut down the store, while the program itself will still run and mess with your fluid playing of the game. So, rejoice! Dark Souls won't stop working!

But the suck isn't dead entirely, so let us mourn.
IIRC the servers are shutting down next year.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:44 am »

Which means they have plenty of time to port the games to the new GFWL or integrate the old GFWL into the new one.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 07:52:57 am »

"They?" The they of which you speak is the original game makers. Some of them don`t actually exist anymore. THEY would have to patch the game for the new gfwl or whatever it is. Or patch it out if the MS license allows it.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:04 am »

I speak of Them, the ancient mysterious space urchins that secretly control mankind.

Sarcastic comment aside, by "they" I mean the people who develop GFWL 2: Electric Boogaloo. And I was reffering mostly to the 2nd option, i.e. that they'll implement the GFWL library of games into GFWL 2.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 09:05:23 am »

One good thing going for GFWL is the fact that I've never had any problems with GFWL. 

...  Because I've never bought a GFWL game.  Booyah.
Same deal with Origin and Uplay.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 10:51:58 am »

One good thing going for GFWL is the fact that I've never had any problems with GFWL. 

...  Because I've never bought a GFWL game.  Booyah.
Same deal with Origin and Uplay.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here. I mean I have played Microsoft Game Studios games but none of the ones that use this Games for Windows Live bullshit. All I see right now is a clever marketing ploy by Microsoft, one that gives me more reason to stick with piracy, hard copies and Steam.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 10:53:43 am »

Start finding those offline GFWL hacks. "Pirating" will likely save the day.
Save the day again.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:09 am »

While we're on the subject of DRM and piracy saving the day, I'm still kind of miffed about how SecuROM has managed to mess up my disc drives to the point where I need to use an unbent paperclip just to open them. They still read but they don't open unless if there is a disc in the drive. Can Games for Windows Live do that?
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 11:58:03 am »

No, that is singularly a SecuROM thing, and why it is the most terrible of choices. drm makers more recent than that seem to have noticed people hate things screwing with their computers more than things just breaking games involving their unnessesary added bits.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:08 pm »

Red Faction: Guerrilla might not work... :(

HEY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING, MICROSOFT?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:06 pm »

Red Faction: Guerrilla might not work... :(

HEY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING, MICROSOFT?

They're not gonna go and reprogram this thing to work without GFWL either...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 01:26:55 pm »

I wouldn't panic, folks. Most likely, the "legacy" games will simply hook into the existing network and be kept on life support. So at least you could play them. I'm not sure whether they would keep the multiplayer, though. That's quite a bit of framework to keep for "legacy" games.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 01:40:18 pm »

THe multiplayer will more than likely die, yes. But for everything else, its already been fixed ages ago with no-gfwl cracks.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 02:12:38 pm »

THe multiplayer will more than likely die, yes. But for everything else, its already been fixed ages ago with no-gfwl cracks.

"Everything" includes "achievements," and there's no way a no-gfwl crack will make achievement gaining on the player's Xbox Live profile work.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 02:20:44 pm »

Who cares about Xbox Live? Just rig it to track them locally under the same criteria.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5