Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)  (Read 6202 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:59 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/20/it-liiiiiiiiives-gfwl-perma-closing-next-july/#more-165238

On July 1st, 2014, the bane of MP gaming, the unnecessary 4th wheel of DRM, Games for Windows Live will discontinue service.

While we've all been waiting for it to shut down, so good games don't end up trapped with it as their only viable MP service....this does present some complications for games already using it.

(Dark Souls, Resident Evil 5 immediately come to mind, I think also Arkham City?)

Alongside those, Age of Empires will also apparently cease to work at the same time. The wording of the announcement doesn't leave a lot of room for offline play. But maybe it will still be possible.

Despite some games I'm still enjoying probably suffering as a result of this, it's nigh time that GFWL went away. The longer it existed, the more games (a fraction of) would end up using it, further increasing the pain when it finally did close. GFWL has had as many chances for resurrection and to not suck as any other service out there, and it's time is finally up.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:54 am »

While I despise GFWL with every fibre of my being I'm fairly certain this isn't the last we've seen of awful microsoft multiplayer DRM. I very much doubt that microsoft would be willing to turn around and use a third party systems such as Steamworks. If anything I think that we'll just see GFWL rise again under a different name with slight differences, perhaps as a marketing move for Xbox One's likely planned cross platform compatibility.
It also begs the question what's going to happen to the games that currently use the service. I got a feeling some of the older games are just going to have their multiplayer switched off completely.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:52 am »

At least Steamworks:

A) Isn't weighted down with a bunch of bloated, animated windows.

And 

B) Has actual features you want to use.

It's pretty unreasonable these days to expect a company like MS to not use some form of DRM. It's really about what kind of DRM and what value-adds, if any, it offers.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:15 am »

Steam works well because it isn't obtrusive and doesn't annoy me unlike most other DRM platforms. Yes, waiting for games to update is annoying, but- oh, hey! A sale! Oooh! nifty indie games! Only one buck! what's that? a big game I've always been trying to get for just 3€? GIMME! Oh, and what's this? My internet is down? No worries, I can launch my games in offline mode with minimum bother! Oh, is someone annoying me? BLOCK THEM.

Steam works well because it is a service, not bullshit.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:11 am »

Red Faction: Guerrilla might not work... :(

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:37 am »

I have all due confidence that Microsoft is cooking up something much worse deep in the bowels of their R&D division.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:47 am »

I wonder if closing Games for Windows Live is being done to consolidate that functionality into the X-Box Live system.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:20 am »

Here's to hoping Origin kicks the bucket next.  Maybe with these two inbreds removed from the system, we'll see some real competitors to Steam. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10:56 am »

You realize this is just paving the way for a new service to coincide with the launch of Xbox One, right?
"Now announcing Windows ONE, now with biometric game locking! Note: Required retinal scanner sold seperatly, MSRP $69.99"

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:20 am »

This dying is both meh and good. It's good if some of the games get adapted to work properly with Steam or something else, bad if they don't.
My biggest hope is to see Chaos Rising get fixed, might finally play the multiplayer if that's the case.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:19 am »

"Now announcing Windows ONE, now with biometric game locking! Note: Required retinal rectal scanner sold separately, MSRP $69.99"

FTFY.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:38:28 am »

Jason Holtman (Valve's Steam hardware/management guy) joined Microsoft last week. I think we're going to see a GFWL reboot/rebrand coming up in the near future, hopefully one that's nothing like GFWL. Or a deal with Valve (heh, I know).

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:38:45 am »

"Now announcing Windows ONE, now with biometric game locking! Note: Required retinal rectal scanner sold separately, MSRP $69.99"

FTFY.
"Smaller rectal probe sold separately"

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

Darn it, I want to play Universe at War now! I can't even play it even though I own it on Steam.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 12:12:06 pm »

Wooooooooooooooooo!

FTFY.
"Smaller rectal probe sold separately"
"For only 199.99$ we can attach it to origin! Now you can have twice the frustration, because people don't want to play our games, right?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5