Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1012012 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14925 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:40 am »

ignoring the rules is part of a dramatis personae now?

a) the armor is, frankly, too powerful. Either it gets some downsides to balance it out, or it is a no go

b) supernatural abilities run off mag. With just one point in it, Kyle would only be able to use negliable abilities. the buff would only increase speed by +1, the shot attack would only deal 2 damage, and that will likely be resisted every single time.

GWG, nice tidbits. As for the assumption, you seem very deadset on implanting gurps, but so far the only other person who said gurps might be a good idea was someone who I have never seen before in the thread. As far as balancing goes, GURPS is balanced towards GURPS, if we try to make some sort of hybrid, we are no longer as guaranteed to be balanced as you think. I feared that since it seems very likely that we will decide against GURPS, you may take offense and decide to not join.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14926 on: June 02, 2014, 08:48:24 am »

Wait, wouldn't people only need registration for magic usage and not for possessing magic? I mean, if they don't use their magic, no one's going to find out and enforce the registration nor would there be much of a need to.
Thats falling into the whole situation X-Men in a way.

KJ, explain why changing your gear to be balanced would destroy any chance of playing the game?

Spoiler: Tidbits (click to show/hide)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14927 on: June 02, 2014, 08:52:44 am »

Cado, I'd imagine your second point becomes all the more complicated, when people start just claiming they had no controle over their abilities to dodge punishment. suddenly you have to doubt everyone who claims the fireball who blew up their neighbours yard was an accident and bam, eventually that excuse will no longer do.

I do point out btw, Kyle actually becomes stronger with the new rules. He is allowed to keep both if physical damage being halved perk, and the fear-inducing ability. Originaly he got those perks because personas were less versatile than other uses of magic - something which was entirely bullshit to begin with. First of all, wind-magic is versatile, secondly, when said wind magic can also *heal* stuff somehow (because that's totaly what wind does guys), it's already more versatile than other abilities. if you put that on top of tinkering skills that rival technomancy, Kyle already has 3 abilities. How is he less versatile again? The only one more versatile than Kyle is Sen.

Now with everyones abilities being put in rules and becoming generaly less versatile, Kyle becomes more versatile in comparison, to the point where it is utter GM mercy that Kyle is even allowed, as simply, his stuff stretches rules quite a bit. Add that armor on top, and Kyle is more designed to be a powerful bossfight than an actual PC
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:02:48 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14928 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:17 am »

-snip-
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:33 am »

As for the assumption, you seem very deadset on implanting gurps, but so far the only other person who said gurps might be a good idea was someone who I have never seen before in the thread.
And you think I won't want to be playing this game if we don't? I'm more likely to quit because of that assumption than because we don't use GURPS.

As far as balancing goes, GURPS is balanced towards GURPS, if we try to make some sort of hybrid, we are no longer as guaranteed to be balanced as you think.
I don't expect perfect balance. However, consider two things:
1. Most abilities we're concerned with are ones that are fairly rules-agnostic. Flight, for instance, is pretty simple; you fly or you don't. Modifiers affect how you fly in also rules-agnostic manners, like "you will be unable to fly if your wings are hurt" or "you can fly in space now". The non-rules-agnostic ones are also not much of a problem, if we're not worried about perfect balance (as opposed to just guidelines that make it harder to accidentally make an OP or UP character and easier to judge if a character is of an appropriate power level); for instance, since the human average for statistics by your system is 5 and by GURPs it's 10, any stat modifiers would be halved. There will be some gray areas, but it should be pretty easy to apply.
2. Imperfect guidelines are better than no guidelines. You haven't said a single word on how to determine if some power/perk/set of powers and perks is balanced or OP, save that obviously OP ones are vetoed...with no suggestions as to how to make it non-OP. A GURPS hybrid would give us such guidelines, and unless you can provide examples of something that's balanced in GURPS but not when translated to RMG-3.0, we'll have no reason to think that the discrepancies will be significant.

Cado's ideas are pretty neat.

Cado, I'd imagine your second point becomes all the more complicated, when people start just claiming they had no controle over their abilities to dodge punishment. suddenly you have to doubt everyone who claims the fireball who blew up their neighbours yard was an accident and bam, eventually that excuse will no longer do.
I think it would work something like an insanity defense; if you can prove that you lacked control over your powers, rather than being jailed you'd be isolated so your uncontrolled power wouldn't hurt people and you'd be subjected to treatments to either get your powers under control or remove them.
P.S. Your argument roughly mirrors an argument that the insanity defense would lead to everyone claiming that.

Now with everyones abilities being put in rules and becoming generaly less versatile, Kyle becomes more versatile in comparison, to the point where it is utter GM mercy that Kyle is even allowed, as simply, his stuff stretches rules quite a bit. Add that armor on top, and Kyle is more designed to be a powerful bossfight than an actual PC
Don't be absurd. Bosses are usually much more limited in their array of abilities.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: June 02, 2014, 09:10:58 am »

why scratch it Cado, it is absolutely valid. Magic is a nightmare for court. how can you prove someone who claims he was under mindcontrole is lying? After the incident in the vatican and all, which amplty proved mindcontrole was a real thing. I can imagine this is a VERY exhausting time for everyone who works in a field of law.

well GWG, then I hereby charge you with the task of working out a perk system. How many perk-points do players get, howmuch do perks cost, etc. Maybe provide a sample list of perks, and try to stat already existing perks you see on the sheet. Perhaps also some flaws, which can be bought to afford more expensive perks, and to avoid munchkining, a maximum amount of perks and flaws one can have

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14931 on: June 02, 2014, 09:13:04 am »

True. Well, I guess if its ever brought up in the IC thread we'll have to deal with it, and then we can figure everything out! :)
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: June 02, 2014, 09:15:03 am »

well GWG, then I hereby charge you with the task of working out a perk system. How many perk-points do players get, howmuch do perks cost, etc. Maybe provide a sample list of perks, and try to stat already existing perks you see on the sheet. Perhaps also some flaws, which can be bought to afford more expensive perks, and to avoid munchkining, a maximum amount of perks and flaws one can have
Well, if you're going to task me with making a system, in the context of the current conversation, I'm going to be making it an integrated power/perk system inspired by GURPS. If that's not what you meant, I hope you inform me of this before I spend the time designing it.

(And I also liked Cado's point. In case my previous post didn't make that clear.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: June 02, 2014, 09:17:35 am »

well, not an entire system, just a part of the current system we have, that is everything related to perks. As it stands now, our system is more or less "grab something you'd like to have, alongside what you already have". May not be the best idea.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:17 am »

I will point out Kyle has only what his abilities say. No other wind magic you fuckhead.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:11 am »

KJ, calm down. Your armor is too strong, so why can't you nerf it, atleast a little bit?
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14936 on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:50 am »

it's nevertheless stronger healing magic than Alice, stronger technology than Winry AND the wind stuff AND the fact that he does it all ignoring the rules regarding how powers work so he can minmax to the extreme

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: June 02, 2014, 09:33:13 am »

Why? If it wasn't a problem until just now then it never was a problem.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14938 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:25 am »

...So because global warming wasn't a problem 500 years ago its not a problem now? Thats the logic your using.

Do you honestly believe that having armor that doesn't have a downside but boosts you 10 stats over everyone else is fair?
[/quote]

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: June 02, 2014, 09:38:21 am »

Why would Kyle have it at all nerfed?
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1030