Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Character Block  (Read 8437 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Character Block
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »

That's not the part that puts me off... I didn't want to say it outright but it sorta lends itself to rape fantasies. Think about it: Total control over someones mind. It just... It's not the content itself but what someone could do with it that bothers me a lot.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »

Damn, I didn't think of that... I was actually thinking more like "turning your crappy old hatchback into a sports car in order to impress" rather then that. :S

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 03:17:57 pm »

When you add in the ability to manipulate people you have to be VERY careful. Little oversights can result in... unfavorable things happening. It's an interesting idea but you should really think about removing the ability to affect others. Furthermore if the only downside is that 'most' practitioners are a certain way... You need to rethink some weaknesses.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »

Okay, I'll remember that when I'm making mind controllers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:59 pm »

Hm, yeah, it is way too easy to exploit... And I can see why the last bit would make you kinda edgy, since it says that some of the mages there are just in it to get a girlfriend which is kinda stereotypical.
And creepy, when you consider all of his powers...

Furthermore if the only downside is that 'most' practitioners are a certain way... You need to rethink some weaknesses.
Well duh.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »

What about a guy who can hack reality, because the whole world's a simulation? But it's so incredibly in depth in takes a shitton of time?

He can do anything, given enough time. Some things are easier than others, but just finding the right code can be difficult, and some creatures have firewalls, others are infested with defensive viruses that start hacking the code that makes him up, etc.

Sure you can try to find the code for the Terrasque, and it'll be pretty big, and pretty distinct, and deleting stuff is easy. Too bad you have to run through a gauntlet of security measures and firewalls to get to it. Oh, and don't forget that a. you can't hack your own code as it's too complex for you to avoid breaking your ability to code and infini-looping, and b. The Terrasque has an alert system which means he's coming for you.

EDIT: You can hack yourself once you reach Epic. Several gods were born this way. Quite a few of the others were their friends.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 08:54:44 pm »

I dunno. Reality manipullation isn't my thing. I don't care for this idea now due to the whole "Can do anything." and it starts to be more sci-fi than medieval fantasy.  I dunno. that's just me.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »

What about a guy who can hack reality, because the whole world's a simulation? But it's so incredibly in depth in takes a shitton of time?

He can do anything, given enough time. Some things are easier than others, but just finding the right code can be difficult, and some creatures have firewalls, others are infested with defensive viruses that start hacking the code that makes him up, etc.

Sure you can try to find the code for the Terrasque, and it'll be pretty big, and pretty distinct, and deleting stuff is easy. Too bad you have to run through a gauntlet of security measures and firewalls to get to it. Oh, and don't forget that a. you can't hack your own code as it's too complex for you to avoid breaking your ability to code and infini-looping, and b. The Terrasque has an alert system which means he's coming for you.

EDIT: You can hack yourself once you reach Epic. Several gods were born this way. Quite a few of the others were their friends.
So kind of like Neo?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 09:01:25 pm »

It's just a flavor thing. He could be screwing around with magical tendrils, a fifth dimension, the EVERSOUL, anything really. It's just an idea of someone who would be ludicrously powerful....if he wasn't so slow at it.

And since you have to eat, drink, and sleep, and those disrupt the hacking/magic/elder-god-summoning/friend-making/insert-clever-reference-here, he does have a limit.

EDIT: Like Neo except he can't do amazingly cool stuff at the same time that he's doing amazingly physics-punching stuff.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »

Thinking about 'transforming items and people', I have an idea for a 'Trademaster' class.

Basically these guys have no combat skills whatsoever, and rely on their absurd Persuasion skills and ability to Bribe even monsters (assuming that they have food on them), but that is still not the point of their class.

The main skill of this class is that they can transform any non-magical items to anything of the same item class. They can turn lesser items to greater ones, and vice versa, but there is a fee. The cost is double the difference between price of the former item and the new one. This work both way, so that the class can't be exploited as a portable merchant. Turning superior items to inferiors are usually useful at transforming enemies' equipment.

They can sell items to shopkeepers at double the price, but the money gained will never exceed the sale price that the shopkeepers would sell them.

I guess they are a bit underpowered, but I dunno.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 10:35:26 pm »

That's kinda interesting actually. Something that's a hard line support.

Pages: 1 2 [3]