Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76495 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2014, 07:49:27 pm »

for a while i was wondering why you were not color coding levers, like i do, for easy identification, orthoclase lever -> orthoclase bridge
but then i noticed you just have way too many of them for that to be feasible.

I have tried a beastmaster, it worked out ok in combat, however, the beastmaster got a tiny mood penalty for each dead dog, as if they were adopted pets, so he ended up going from being very happy, to mood 0, very quickly, and then he went insane.

another update on youtube problems, specifically:
http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/
a download test for me, downloading episode 20,
before:52 minutes,
  after:15 minutes
this marks the difference between 480p having problems, and 1080p being fine in streaming.
this appears to also work for twitch(which I had similar problems with), though I have not tested that much.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »

for a while i was wondering why you were not color coding levers, like i do, for easy identification, orthoclase lever -> orthoclase bridge
but then i noticed you just have way too many of them for that to be feasible.
You also need a wide variety of stone for that to work, which I don't have... at least not in different colors.  Gabbro, Diorite, etc all pretty much look the same.

another update on youtube problems, specifically:
http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/
a download test for me, downloading episode 20,
before:52 minutes,
  after:15 minutes
this marks the difference between 480p having problems, and 1080p being fine in streaming.
this appears to also work for twitch(which I had similar problems with), though I have not tested that much.
Wow, that's wild.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2014, 08:21:53 am »

ah, for colored stone i often request them from the dwarven caravan, if i lack them on the map, a max request will bring 4 stone, and pretty much everything except gold, platinum, and aluminum is VERY cheap
most of the time my home civ has a very wide variety of stone for sale, but they hardly bring any unless you specifically ask :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2014, 01:23:50 am »

Random observation and new target: video length of ~12.5 minutes.

Why?  Because that's the average watch time across all my videos.  So expect less, but more often. :)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2014, 02:00:30 am »

Average watch time?  You mean some people didn't watch every single video all the way to the end? My word!

I do agree though that that is a good target length.  It's enough to showcase one major event or two minor ones with enough time to provide the proper context and general status updates.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »

Well, I'm closer to target... about 15 minutes. :)

http://youtu.be/bcW76ZK3WhA

Silk Trap/Collection and setup and a walkthrough on how I do my initial military.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2014, 03:38:32 am »

That is an amazingly prolific silk farm!  How did you even get enough dwarfpower to harvest all that thread?

For my fortress, I'm planning on setting up a live-fire training ground for my marksdwarves using reanimation for fun and profit.  Firing at a live enemy gives about 5x the experience that an archery target does, but either requires the use of cage-traps (which you have declined to use) or a massive engineering project (which probably wouldn't be worthwhile).
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2014, 05:11:30 am »

That is an amazingly prolific silk farm!  How did you even get enough dwarfpower to harvest all that thread?

For my fortress, I'm planning on setting up a live-fire training ground for my marksdwarves using reanimation for fun and profit.  Firing at a live enemy gives about 5x the experience that an archery target does, but either requires the use of cage-traps (which you have declined to use) or a massive engineering project (which probably wouldn't be worthwhile).

4 weavers with nearby looms (<20 steps) clear it reasonably efficiently.  Other runners come with bins and collect the thread to near the looms that I use for silk cloth production on the main craft floor.  But yes, it's insanely prolific.  If I ran it for a year I could probably supply the entire world's silk requirements.  Sikel Silk would become a cheap good in the far corners of the universe.

There's another way to get myself some live undead archery targets though... :)  Create 'shooting room'.  Pen up some dogs.  Flood room, drown dogs, drain room.  Lotsa targets. :)  It's on my list of little projects to do while I wait for the military to be born.

Right now that list, though, is a bit odd (and subject to change on my whims... ;) ):
Spelunk Caverns 1, 2, and 3.  Find out the entry and exit points.
Dig out a huge mass of magnetite and then seal up the levels with stone walls to reduce pathing fps loss.
Dig out another huge set of levels somewhere (probably between 1 and 2), muddy the floor, and have a few massive tree farms.  I'm hurting for lumber for mass projects... primarily for charcoal for craploads of steel.  Create and seal doors when not lumbering for fps.
Find a location for a pumpstack from the magma sea, straight up to surface.  Prep the aquifer pierce for it in a massive area so I can build it without annoyance.  I have plans for that magma.  No, it's not a FTL lever, either.  Well, not really.  Well, okay, but it'll be a PRECISION FTL lever...  >:(
Poke at the magma sea, see what candy I can yank out without disturbing the clowns.  If possible, use the lake in Cavern 3 for obsidianizing the access.
Give my dwarves a little time off and let the lovers marry.  I need more breeders.
Find my FPS leak.  Somewhere in my fortress there's a massive FPS leak, but it's inconsistent.  I'm not sure exactly where it is, which is why I've started to push the majority of the stockpiles out of the main areas.  If that's not it, then I'm going to work on sealing up unused areas and setting up traffic zones.
Magma trap the trader access pathway.  I get the occasional goblin or zombie that sneaks into the trader access.  I'd like to simply stop worrying about that.  Not sure I'll actually do this, though, probably more trouble than it's worth.
Find a 'clear' moment on the surface with all the non-pathing zombies stuck in a corner somewhere and start the baseline of a surface keep.  Simple 20x20 with walls, ceiling, stairs, hatches, and raising bridges would be fine.  I need to move a lot of blocks near the main entry first though.

So, there's plenty to do in the meanwhile.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2014, 08:07:47 am »

or a massive engineering project (which probably wouldn't be worthwhile).
A necro on chain plus a bridge to block him from pit of undeadlies is not a massive engineering project.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2014, 11:56:27 am »

A necro on chain plus a bridge to block him from pit of undeadlies is not a massive engineering project.

I'm curious.  Without cage traps, how would you get the necro on the chain?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:03 pm »

A necromancer isn't necessary in a reanimating biome, but the setup that you would use for this in a more normal fort would in fact work.  It would even be simpler since you don't have to deal with necromancer containment and control.

Kill something and then drop a reanimating body part into a room with fortifications and you now have a live-fire target.  The most straightforward thing I think would be to butcher a spare dog and dump the raw hide.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2014, 08:24:47 am »

I'm curious.  Without cage traps, how would you get the necro on the chain?

whoopsie, missed this part.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 10, 2014, 03:30:45 am »

Hi ,

I'm giving a try to this too.
Been trying the cave in aquifer pierce described by MerendelSnaake, but I have an issue : when the cave in happens, the central 3*3 tile on z-1, is still aquifer (even though i channeled it out for the the chicken run stair).

After the cave - in i end up with the bottom tile from the chicken run being full of water (but not generating water) and i can't empty it using a bucket. However, i can't make the piercing zone any larger  . From the walkhtough above (very nicely written), I thought that you could get a 3x3 stair ?

edit : forget the dumb question, having a 3x3 safe area through the aquifer would require channeling a 5x5 area around the chicken hole which was not ... guess i was a bit too frustrated around my miner repeatedly failing the chicken run until he was lvl 14 ... !
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:32:44 pm by Finndibaenn »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2014, 01:46:43 am »

(A written update, because this is boring as shit to watch but hysterical in context)

Furnaceclans, 784.

Countess ITG Eturlegon, to her scribe:

It is with great displeasure I am forced to inform the king that we are besieged, yet again, by the moronic humans who insist on sending us unprotected diplomats.  The hairless fools have taken offense yet again to one of their number dying to the hordes that decend upon us from the necromancer towers.

This time, they've sent no less than 7 units of mounted menaces towards FurnaceClans.   We've left the door open for them, of course, but it appears even their frozen useless mounts can see the danger imposed by the OMG.  However, there is a horse on the surface, long dead, that has refused to move.

Until the humans came.  Ulemel, at least the last time it got a name, has dispatched no less than 2 of the squads by herself.  Understand, my king, there are only 8 undead currently within sensing range of our embark, including this horse.  One is stuck in the launch bays for the OMG.  Another 4 are stuck in a pit we dug to recover some caravan goods when the merchants were lost to the surface, and will probably remain there until the end of time.  One is a dog head that assaults any Great Beast of Legend that gets near it, and typically kills it.  Right now that beast lurks in the waters in our first cavern layer, and I fear for the lives of any that get near the one-toothed wonder, having long lost all the rest of them in a battle with a great steam beast.  One is a lost dwarf, also in the cavern, who bravely gave his life for the capture of Sikel, our great silk producer.  May Nils be ever engraved...

And, finally, this broken everywhere horse.  With no right front leg or spine, and its sidekick that's almost always dead, a guineacock corpse with one eye, it has layed low two entire squads of the humans.  The humans didn't get the hint, I assume their lack of hair in the freezing cold has affected their judgement.  They resided on the surface, in a sleeting snowstorm, sieging us... their dead left to rot nearby.

Now, they slowly fall to their brethren.  Mounts and humans both rise from the snowy wastes to constantly harass the enemy as they try to keep us from receiving the caravan and your personal emissary.  In the end, either the snow or the undead will swallow them.  Until then, we will hold our missives to you in safety.

- The Countess of FurnaceClans, warm within the stone.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »

hey, I just had a thought, you mentioned you were planning to put children born in the fortress into the military when they grow up.

I hope you had this bug in mind and checked out the fix:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6334

some versions of the lazy newb pack have the fix pre-installed, which is very handy.

otherwise though, you may end up with many dwarves that grow older, but wont grow bigger,
it's some very strange issue with a growth check only applying if the game code age value is divisible by 10.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32