Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76499 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »

Yeah I'm good on the growth bug fix.  Thanks for double checking though. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 14, 2014, 03:15:47 am »

I may have finally figured out the 'pathing' jam up into the OMG.  It's the single wide corridor allowing access to the rail tracks.  I think what's happening is the same thing that happens to dwarves when there's too many in a corridor.  They pause for a second to recomputed their path.

Being NPCs, they don't get the same pathing priority, so it takes 'em a while to get going again.

It's the only thing I can figure.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2014, 04:10:57 pm »

That could make some sense.  It's not really a solvable problem though since you can't make the OMG any wider.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:47 pm »

FurnaceClans 22 is up.

http://youtu.be/xyTginLE830

Nothing special.  A clean migrant entry via the migrant trap and the results of spelunking the four layers.  I also play with trying to highlight dwarves as they move through the surface clutter.  It takes a LOT longer than it should, I'll have to see if I can learn some shortcuts.

Although I did find out a curiousity... dwarves can move between squares at anything from (at 30 frames/second) 4 tics to 13 tics...

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »

More Furnaceclans is always good.  Now that you have so few undead on the surface, are you going to try and build that outdoor tower thingy you dug that channel for all those years ago?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:14 pm »

It's like... you're reading my mind... :)

Yes, but there's a few other projects I want to finish up first.  A mass tree farm after I finish experimenting with FB Extract movement in water, moving the magnetite out of a mass dig, and an experiment to see if I can pit/pond ice walls into position.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2014, 02:06:30 am »

A word of warning about making ice walls with buckets and ponds:  The first bucket of water makes an "Ice Floor", and it takes a second to create the "Ice Wall".  If you can arrange for two jobs to be created at the same time (overlapping pond zones) then you can keep safe from accidentally creating a path in. A minecart filled with water should be able to create an instant wall as well too.

...Then again that only applies to making an ice wall directly above a defensive channel, which is probably NOT what you have planned.
  *Ahem*
Carry on. 
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:53 pm »

I finished watching all your videos, WanderkingKid, beautiful and incredible! I love them and they taught me a lot about what can be done with DF, although I have huge issues making even the simplest minecart trap atm :D. I'll probably resort to magma-from-sky traps, those are always nice and with the Masterwork mod possible.

Keep this up, it's awesome, and it shows people the potential of this great game! I can barely wait for your surface magma trap. I have one design I'm trying to build, ie a magma tower with multiple outstretching arms that are used to direct magma to the part of the map I want it, but I'm not very skilled at making an efficient fortress, or my dwarfs efficient at building so it will take a while, maybe 5 years or so at this rate :D I do want to see your idea though, so far all were brilliant!

Cheers

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32:52 am »

Thanks for the kind words, Merker.  I'm glad people are enjoying them. :)

You'll unfortunately have to wait a long while for the surface magma trap.  That's a VERY long term goal, and requires me completely recovering the surface from the invaders to work in peace.  You don't play with magma on the surface while you're getting sieged 3x a year until you've got significant defenses.  Because, you understand, it's not just magma.  Undead don't die to magma.  It'll have to be an obsidian trap... Rediculously dwarfy and complex at that scale... particularly since the biome is freezing.  Some magma will keep the water as... well... water, other magma will be there for obsidianization.

Toady may release the next version long before I get THAT particular mega-project done.

FurnaceClans is proceeding, for those curious, just not much that's film-worthy.  The tree farm is about 1/2 dug out and there is SO much goddamned rock.  The stairway to ice-heaven was building but it's one of those things that has to take place in between sieges and ambushes, but the stairs are built and the flooring's about halfway done.  Having to occasionally clean out some undead from the entry because he dodged in the hole doesn't help.

Also, oddly, floating FB Extract doesn't flow down a hole when it's opened up underneath it if the hole never actually drains under 6/7.  This is good, it means I won't have FB Extract in my tree farm. :)

Plans are being designed for a more effective surface access path, including a dwarven bathtub to remove surface contaminants.  I haven't even started that dig yet, but I'll make sure you're around for it.  I know dwarven bathing can be a sticking point for folks, but with an aquifer + DWR's it should be relatively simple.  At least it looks that way on paper.  I usually do it via gravity flow so this should be an experience.

Um, yeah, that about covers it... it's pretty quiet at FurnaceClans, actually.  Most of the undead are dealt with (ignoring the one-off pathers that hang around at an edge) until the next ambush shows up... or when the humans siege me and won't path until the goblins ambush and they meet each other and resulting raised carnage cuts me off from the surface for two years waiting for them to clean themselves out... jackasses.  We're just running a LOT of rock around right now... in anticipation of running a LOT of trees around in a year or two... or three or four depending on how fast these poor guys can go.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2014, 05:32:59 am »

I just thought of a bad-ass but only semi-useful idea: Ice Door

Have some water exposed to freezing but kept liquid by magma beneath it.  Engineer things so that you can maintain the water at 2-3 deep when you want it open and pathable, but when you want to shut it down, pull a lever to drop the magma away from directly underneath the water and it will freeze into a solid ice wall.  No exposed mechanisms or buildings, just a solid natural wall that appears and disappears on command.  The trick will be in draining away the water to an appropriate depth without exposing mechanisms to attack.

2nd idea: Magma Wading Pool
The undead won't path through magma will they?  I just had an idea for letting zombies wade through 2/7 magma while getting shot at by marksdwarves.  Whenever a zombie gets KO'd its corpse will be immediately burnt up by the magma, cleaning up its own mess!  If you use bolts that aren't magma-safe then you don't have to worry about stray bolts cluttering things up either.  No muss, no fuss.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2014, 07:10:13 am »

Why not make it a magma-from-ceiling kind of corridor? :D So when the zombies are there and being shot, pull the lever and drop magma on them to finish them off! :D

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 01, 2014, 09:54:59 am »

ah, i think the problem with magma corridors and undead, is that in dwarf fortress, "fire + zombie = fire zombie", it kind of upgrades the enemy INSTEAD of killing them
an obsidian blocking corridor will kill everything, but as he had hundreds of zombies earlier, and may again, when stupid sieges happen, obsidian block projects would just take too much micromanagment

I'm still looking forward to the next episode, it's very enlightening to watch you play
oh, and on migrants that actually made it in, finally, does that mean we can get dwarfed?
anyone will be fine, though preferably an adult :)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 02, 2014, 02:19:41 pm »

Just finished watching all of the Furnaceclans. They are fabulous. I love this fort. If you're still doing that kind of thing, could I have a dwarf of some sort named after me?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 02, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »

Put me in if it the fort still going.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:18 pm »

Hey guys,

Sorry for the recent lack of updates. Work has been kicking my butt all over.  Barely have brainpower some days.

Aristion, Arcvasti, enizer, sure, dwarfing it is.

Arcvasti, thanks for the kind words.

Merker, enizer called the problem with simply dumping magma on them.  You've got upgraded zombies now, sometimes smoking up the corridors to boot.  They won't path through magma, either, so the magma river/marksdwarves is not useful.

Hopefully I'll be able to get an update up this weekend, after payday.  I need to purchase a copy of Premiere Pro (I was using the trial, which expired like a week ago) so that's part of it, the other part is I need to find some spare time to play.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32