Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Urist, you fool! You've killed us all!"  (Read 4971 times)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Urist, you fool! You've killed us all!"
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »

When was the last time you or one of your dwarves had an excuse to say that? Odds are if you've played long enough, you've lost a fort because your resident schmuck screwed everyone over through action or omission of action.
A more recent fort of mine never got off the ground because one of the starting seven died less than a season after embark. When the only available dwarf couldn't be bothered to stop taking breaks or drinking long enough to make a coffin, a short but brutal tantrum spiral sealed the deal.
Wish I'd saved the combat log, I had no idea you could do that with a toe...

How about you?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:26:16 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Urist, you fool! You've killed us all!"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:29:57 pm »

This might not count, but due to me designating windows in my dining hall instead of fortifications with marksdwarves or a WALL.

All my civilians were trapped just out of reach of the food and drink stockpiles because they kept running back away from a troll I had no way of getting to to kill.

So the coming on 30 dead could justifiably have "construction accident" on their coffins.

They thirsted and killed each other but it was sort of caused by them windows. Hehehehehe, Vista (veiw) caused my fort to crash.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:53:13 pm »

One of my dwarfs deconstructed a wall in an above ground fort. Directly above the wall was a door allowing exit from a barracks. 7 soldiers all died of thirst neatly simultaneously... I never noticed because the door hid the fact there was no floor underneath!

I guess its really my fault but I blame him!

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:48:29 pm »

Soooo many mistimed lever pulls because urist was off getting drunk in the booze cellar.

Also, the time when Urist KNEW that channeling out that tile was a mistake/bad idea and I misclicked, but he channels it anyway out of spite. Cue thirty or so "has been crushed!" messages.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »

Urist cancels "seal off HFS": On Break.

And thus a great kingdom fell.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:20:42 pm »

Urist notices a new sock in the werebull moat. Urist goes to acquire new sock, dropping his old one in the doorway on the way. Urist gets mauled (trampled?) to death and the other ~60 dwarves quickly follow suit thanks to the unclosable door.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »

Just the usual "Oh gawd Urist, please PLEASE pull the lever! Please!" Situation, where Urist walks up to the lever.. turns around and gets a drink... heads back to the lever... goes and gets a mushroom to snack on... heads back to the lever, and feels sleepy. (Obviously from eating mushrooms and drinking hard river spirits) takes a nice long nap. Wakes up, decides it's too early to be pulling levers, and just decides to rejoice in the tortured screams of his supposed friends as he takes his clearly much more important morning break.

Meanwhile, a forgotten beast claws its way through the fortress, while the desperate overseer tries to get anyone, anyone at all to close the airlock, while jamming the hallway with as many useless puppies, kitties, chickens, and other misc lifestock animals as possible to impede the FB's pathing, while it sprays cloying and festering filth everywhere, while simultaneously suspending Urist McClothier's industrious insistence that he go down the hallway to collect webs, and Urist McHunter's incessant attempts to go hunt the native draltha.

Ultimately resulting in a tantrum spiral as Urist McCatlady goes positively apeshit from her precious babies being thrown at the nameless horror from the depths, Urist McHunter, who was on this Obsidian's issue of "Life" magazine as the fortress's most popular title holder, ends up a festering puddle of rotting flesh on the floor, causing Urist McLeverPuller to go straight from lazy asshole to tantruming douchebag before even finishing his break, while the rest of the fortress goes bonkers.

Yes Urist. You should have pulled the lever, and listened to the screaming in the hallway. Yes Urist, YOU are responsible. Everyone else was busy trying to be safely isolated against the creeping chaos, and you were standing in a corner with Playdwarf and your trousers down. Don't try to deny it.

(This exact situation has happened a surprising number of times....)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:37:12 pm »

Just the usual "Oh gawd Urist, please PLEASE pull the lever! Please!" Situation, where Urist walks up to the lever.. turns around and gets a drink... heads back to the lever... goes and gets a mushroom to snack on... heads back to the lever, and feels sleepy. (Obviously from eating mushrooms and drinking hard river spirits) takes a nice long nap. Wakes up, decides it's too early to be pulling levers, and just decides to rejoice in the tortured screams of his supposed friends as he takes his clearly much more important morning break.
This is why I have layers upon layers of doors. You might say that 10 different layers of doors connected to the caverns, with a bridge behind the first and last doors, is a bit much. Or hatches every 5th layer of staircases is overkill. I disagree. Those 10 sets of disposable doors buys me time, and if they won't pull the lever then I can get someone else to build a wall. Or at the very least, there should be some hatches that aren't jammed open.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »

An Airlock only works if you do not open it up the whole way.  Sadly, to my knowledge there's no way to set up levers to toggle linked objects so raising one bridge always lowers the other.'

Lever accidents are also why I like to have a few idlers at all times and don't profile important levers.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »

I had something of a troglodyte problem in the first cavern layer, so I blocked it with a door. The trogs were right next to the door when one of my haulers goes berserk and breaks it, letting in all of the trogs to play and have some !!FUN!!.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:01 pm »

I think the image speaks for itself.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:22:58 pm »

... I see a few dead gobblins and dead dogs.. and somebody set the world on fire...

The notice about creating a masterpiece is possibly hilarious, if the dwarf in question is the one who started the fire...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:30:31 pm »

I see nothing wrong with that picture.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:27 pm »

Iiiiiii don't want to set the woooooooooooorld ooooooooooooon fiiiiiiireeeeeeeeee....
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 01:23:23 am »

An Airlock only works if you do not open it up the whole way.  Sadly, to my knowledge there's no way to set up levers to toggle linked objects so raising one bridge always lowers the other.'

Lever accidents are also why I like to have a few idlers at all times and don't profile important levers.
You can do this by linking up leaver to a gear, switching it then linking it up to another gear. Now have your gears move mine carts on/off of pressure plates which raise/lower your bridges.
Pages: [1] 2