Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Unaligned Mandate: Kingdoms of the Morning  (Read 5932 times)

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Re: The Unaligned Mandate: Kingdoms of the Morning
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:59 pm »

PTW.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »

How is this going? this seems very interesting.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:36:56 pm »

Not great. I'm so lazy. I did a little work this week but I was trying out EVE. I ended up deciding not to get into EVE so maybe I'll be more productive now.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 03:24:23 pm »

Not great. I'm so lazy. I did a little work this week but I was trying out EVE. I ended up deciding not to get into EVE so maybe I'll be more productive now.

This post is so funny now considering the time and money I ended up investing into EVE.

In any case I had some free time and some bonus to my willpower roll today so I did a bit of work. Currently I'm finishing off the system that takes the special citizens with semi randomly generated stats and converts them into heroes that are recruited for your Orders/Guilds/Factories. You can now recruit a citizen with a new button and it will change their base type and add bonus traits(sub classing is based on the trait feature of the engine) based on what an Order/Guild/Factory has researched.

Probably be able to mostly finish this part of the game this weak. Gotta set up the research mechanics, plus a separate research thing for a later game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

Looks cool.  I'm not sure if the Github link is to something that can be interacted with, but I'm trying to download it and look.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »

Looks cool.  I'm not sure if the Github link is to something that can be interacted with, but I'm trying to download it and look.

You can grab the source and compile it, though there isn't much work done compiling off of windows. I think I got semi far on Mint and Mac but never finished it off as the people helping didn't have time to iron out bugs that I didn't really know the cause of.

You can't really play a game yet. In theory you could adapt the MagiTech faction from Glest/GAE but it would require a lot of XML editing. All the GAE features are supported but the XML is wildly different in my fork.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 03:56:33 pm »

Well, I decided I wanted to try to get back into this, and in order to maintain motivation I'm going to try and add a large but important and fun feature, pets.

I'm going to utilize the AI behavior system to manage pets, rather than writing a whole new system. It should be simply enough to use a personality, aka a set of ai behaviors, to implement pets. I'm also adding a planned but not yet implemented behavior to facilitate this, the FOLLOW behavior. Most pets will be a combination of FOLLOW and DEFEND. I also want to implement a behavior called FOCUSFIRE which will be used by pets as well. That way pets won't have to wait for their owner to get attacked before being assigned a valid target and hopefully regular units can utilize this behavior also to work together, for the later implementation of "groups" or "parties".

There may be some need to modify the loading units into other units code to accommodate pets if their owners need to enter an Orderhall or a Guildhall or w/e, but otherwise it should all be handled by the MandateAI behavior system.

One major reason to work on this feature is so I can implement the Druid and Necromancer Magic Orders. Although other planned orders can either tech into pets or may have some limited ones already.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 04:33:25 pm »

Just read up the topic and it makes me wonder... the goals are amitious but wouldn't making a barebones but working alpha/demo a good idea at this point?
I know i'd be far more excited if i had any point of reference.

I mean its nice you decided to try working on it again but i'm sure you'd gather far more interest if you had a working version with gatherers and some basic units milling around the map for people to see instead of just reading up upcoming features for a game thats not quite playable yet.

And for some questions... how do you imagine citybuilding in the game? Will buildings get just plopped down like in majesty in the middle of nowhere or will there be a way to build walls (and possibly roads that increase movement speed) in order to create an inner city protecting the more valuable civilians from marauding monsters?
Something like Warrior kings where most production (and gold generating) structures were placed in the city behind walls while food and raw material gathering took place outside of the city in villages that then transported the goods to the city in caravans.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »

Just read up the topic and it makes me wonder... the goals are amitious but wouldn't making a barebones but working alpha/demo a good idea at this point?
I know i'd be far more excited if i had any point of reference.

I mean its nice you decided to try working on it again but i'm sure you'd gather far more interest if you had a working version with gatherers and some basic units milling around the map for people to see instead of just reading up upcoming features for a game thats not quite playable yet.

And for some questions... how do you imagine citybuilding in the game? Will buildings get just plopped down like in majesty in the middle of nowhere or will there be a way to build walls (and possibly roads that increase movement speed) in order to create an inner city protecting the more valuable civilians from marauding monsters?
Something like Warrior kings where most production (and gold generating) structures were placed in the city behind walls while food and raw material gathering took place outside of the city in villages that then transported the goods to the city in caravans.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There already is one. You can download a much older version for Windows from the Sourceforge page or compile the game yourself from GitHub. It currently has a single scenario where you can build some various Orders and Guilds, make and tax houses, build farms and processing sheds and send milk to and such to market where householders will go and buy it and get a buff to their tax income. You can build mines from the Construction Guild and smelters from the Metallurgists guild and then the blacksmith will buy your iron bars and make weapons which a hero who has money to spare will buy from the blacksmith unless there are monsters in which case it will kill those first.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 05:58:06 pm »

Odd. I downloaded the sourceforge version and it runs just fine but locks up when i select scenario.
When i play a sngle player game against the AI as humans i can kinda see some of the game/mod but its nonfunctiional and crashes a minute some pesants spawn from the houses... and i'm not really that confident to try and compile it by myself really.
Self promotion below.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 06:54:36 pm »

Odd. I downloaded the sourceforge version and it runs just fine but locks up when i select scenario.
When i play a sngle player game against the AI as humans i can kinda see some of the game/mod but its nonfunctiional and crashes a minute some pesants spawn from the houses... and i'm not really that confident to try and compile it by myself really.

Hmm, it worked fine on my Windows computer back when I put it up. Well, I'll put a current version up.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Game File
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »

I have uploaded an up to date release version of the game, I haven't thoroughly tested the code I added today though. This should work at least for windows 7.

Successfully loaded scenario from redownloaded SF file, game worked fine, new code didn't seem to affect anything.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:27:22 pm by MoLAoS »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jij-WPzsL4&feature=youtu.be

Here is a video of my doing stuff, sadly I had audio on so you might wanna turn the sound off or hear my eve corp teamspeak as the soundtrack. Sadly sound still doesn't sync properly to video I think so I can't talk in the video.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »

PLayed it a bit (the new version ran properly or at least without gamecrashing screwups).
Your project is obviously unfinished and there are bugs (a guardtower i built spawned guards endlessly filling up the area around it like a zerg creep colony.

I also couldn't build any  farm additions for some reason but that might be because i had no wood or stone in my stocks in spite of having a hauler... i might have screwed up somewhere tho so i'm not complaining.

Also the game kinda reminds me more of Alien Nations than Majesty.
Self promotion below.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 02:46:42 pm »

PLayed it a bit (the new version ran properly or at least without gamecrashing screwups).
Your project is obviously unfinished and there are bugs (a guardtower i built spawned guards endlessly filling up the area around it like a zerg creep colony.

I also couldn't build any  farm additions for some reason but that might be because i had no wood or stone in my stocks in spite of having a hauler... i might have screwed up somewhere tho so i'm not complaining.

Also the game kinda reminds me more of Alien Nations than Majesty.

Well it says pre-alpha on the sourceforge page, although for this project it may be more alpha by now, minus lacking a lot of content.

The Guard Post had the unit limit in the wrong place in the XML. If you go to the folder and type guard_post in search and open the text file and then search "units-owned", move it out of the units-created tag, like cut and paste it right above that, then it will recognize the limit is supposed to be 2 and stop spamming guards.

You can build farm additions, you have the necessary resources in the farms when they are built. A hauler is for intra-guild/order hauling. Quartermasters are the ones who buy things from other organizations. Haulers are green and quartermasters are yellow.

Note that farm additions do not have a visual representation, they are represented as items which you must then equip to the building as demonstrated in the video.

The version of the game you downloaded lacks most of the final content. The reason it feels unlike Majesty is probably because the Growth scenario lacks enemy buildings. Thusly you have no reason to build Order Motherhouses. The only one I built in the video was the Defenders Motherhouse so you could see him purchase a sword from the blacksmith. Because the game involves city building similar to Stronghold or Emperor the early part of the game somewhats lacks a Majesty feel as you construct the stuff necessary to support your settlement.

The Provisional release was more for Glest type people who lack some of the burden of knowledge you have going in blindly. It only contains my two hodgepodgey test factions.

I hit something of a wall at the content adding stage even though I had pretty detailed plans for it. Since I started being serious about EVE and got a part time job that averages like 28 hours a week, I have had a lot of trouble working on the game.

I have the models and slightly outdated XML for most of the units, just gotta update the XML. That is still only basic functions, I'll have to add some XML stuff for the newer features. Modifying hundreds of XML files as the XML format updated/updates is time consuming and tedious and I have pretty bad concentration issues generally. A moderate amount of tedium can often totally derail me for days.

The other thing is I lack flower/herb models that form a moderately large amount of game content. As well as cosmetic stuff. For instance I'm sure you noticed the icons for the various GUI windows are all the same and aren't exactly conveying the ideal image for their functions. I've gotta work up a set of icons for that. And finish the stats panel, which is the panel that deals with the fact that a standard RTS GUI can't accommodate the myriad data and stats of a more rpg/city building game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3