Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burnt umber skin  (Read 2176 times)

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
Burnt umber skin
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:35 pm »

Why do my dwarves always get burnt umber skin?  Also always some wacky eye color, like rusty eyes or something.
I like sushi.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt umber skin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:18 pm »

Well they're dwarves, stones and metals are sacred to them. So they named all their colors and months and things after minerals.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »

I think skin color may be tied with parent civilization. Makes sense when you think about it, skin color linking into genetics and all that. When I was playing human fortresses I noticed every human from the same civ had the same skin color. Everyone from civ A had ecru skin, everyone from civ B light brown, civ C cinnamon, etc.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:27 pm »

I once had a fort where literally every dwarf had silver eyes. No idea why, but after I noticed it in a few guys, I went through virtually the whole population checking their pref screens, and all their eyes were silver. It was weird.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:24:55 am »

All of my dwarves are pretty much the same skin color and eye color.  Aka, they are all of the same nationality.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:56:51 am »

Why do my dwarves always get burnt umber skin?

They like booze and brawls, live in a world with strange megaprojects, hell they would probably yell THE KING IN THE NORTH! if they could. They feel spiritual kinship to Greatjon "The bloody Wall will melt before an Umber marches behind a Glover! I'll lead the van, or I take my men, and march them home!" Umber ;)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Brelic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:21:58 am »

Each civ gets a different set of physical features.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:42 pm »

Once I had a fort where everyone had dark brown skin. One day I've got a message: "Urist mcVictim has been found dead, drained of blood". Months later I've caught the vampire, carved a cell for him exlusively to imprison him for all eternity. When I checked his personality page, something caught my attention:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I laughed as I imagined the situation: the dwarves gathering around the victim, while everybody looks worried about the murder.
"Brothers, I think we have a vampire beneath our walls. We must strenghten our souls, and take care of each other!"
"For Armok's beard, how do we find the killer? There's no clue for the culprit!"
(Everybody looks to Urist McSnowWhite)
"Take it easy guys! You can rule me out, I was picking plump helmets all the time!"
 :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:35:25 pm by Geldrin »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:24 pm »

Yeah, most of my dwarves have the same physical characteristics each world I gen. One had the same eye colour (golden) skin colour (like yours, burnt umber) and nose bridge shape (convex). Things like how sunken the eyes are tends to vary though.
Once I had a fort where everyone had dark brown skin. One day I've got a message: "Urist mcVictim has been found dead, drained of blood". Months later I've caught the vampire, carved a cell for him exlusively to inprison him for all eternity. When I checked his personality page, something caught my attention:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I laughed as I imagined the situation: the dwarves gathering around the victim, everybody looks worried about murder.
"Brothers, I think we have a vampire beneath our walls. We must strenghten our souls, and take care of each other!"
"For Armok beard, how do we find the killer? There's no clue for the culprit!"
(Everybody looks to Urist McSnowWhite)
"Take it easy guys! You can rule me out, I was picking plump helmets all the time!"
 :D

lol, I wonder how they missed it for so long.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 06:18:21 pm »

Dwarven civilizations normally have about the same hair, eye, and skin color. However, this is not always the case. I've had civilizations where there was variation, and I had both dwarves with peach or pink skin and dwarves with brown and umber skin on embark.

In unmodded dwarf fortress, this appears to always be cosmetic. However, if you are using a mod it might work to identify certain dwarves to the player.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.