Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29433 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »

Miraculous intervention there, Toady. Really appreciate it.

Let there be no undue suspense while I'm quietly getting back into the groove: I'm restarting the updates to this thread over the weekend. No soul-searching or doubt, not affected in the slightest by the heckling. Will have abundant free time. I'm just still figuring out what I had planned in the game before the SHTF for me. I admit it has gotten just a bit fuzzy.

I hate posting without an actual update, but while the encouragement is invigorating, it isn't necessary. This is to let you all know that it is being picked back up. Nothing in this thread contributed to my stressful leave of absence,  I'm glad to be back, so no worries.

Free cheers for the powers of patience, understanding, and unity!!  :) :) :) :) :)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2013, 03:49:00 pm »

Quick Reprise: After a great invasion wracks the kingdom, our pint-sized hero swears before his dying father to protect the people and serve the King, taking upon himself the duty of Lordship. In memory of this, he seeks to be a flawless knight, the perfection of which he believes, rightly or not, to be embodied in his dead father. He is much taken with songs and legends of chivalry on account of his goals.

At first, he is largely ignored by the court of his mother, Marna, who will be his regent till years of majority. However, in a memorable confrontation at his brother's birth, he impresses upon them his prerogatives to be heard and obeyed, as well as seen. He has built up good-will among the guardsmen by his earnest attempts to equal his dad in matters soldiery, and at first a bit stand-offish, eventually came to have a decent rapport with the local children, establishing leadership over them in which he pitted two troublemaking groups against each other and created his own band.

He is largely acclimated to the profound loss of his father now, but the unresolved disappearance of a small boy haunts him. He prefers play and sports to book learning, although the contents of a discovered book niggle at him occasionally. Recently he and his group of "knights" have been learning wrestling and staves from the son of a guardsman.

And so we pick up the story as Isaac is contemplating how to stage a wrestling competition in which he has a shot of beating Cadmon, a much larger boy.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:51:41 pm by Gervassen »
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 14, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

Roleplay III -- Bonus Round

Make it more collaborative than competitive (and then we don't have to worry about winning our match)
A troupe of knights bands together to take down a giant that is threatening the city

You reflect on the three years of growth that nine year-old Cadmon has over you and decide that only an ignoble trick could possibly allow you to win against him at this point. Rather than stoop to such low methods, you decide to change your plans to make the contest less about competing against each other and more about fighting as a group. You remember a tale that Nanna told you about giants who used to roam the earth before the coming of your people. To best such a feared creature of legend would be a mark of great skill at arms for any knight, and you happen to know a fair approximation to the physical dimensions of that elder folk.

You are soon mounted and trotting toward the kitchens, where you send for Hammy to bring his boys to the muster, then you canter over to the barracks where Cadmon and his group are lounging restless and idle. "We shall put your wrestling instruction to the test today, Cadmon! A great giant has come into our land and menaces our people, like Goemagot of old, and we alone stand between him and our wailing mothers!" Cadmon and his lads appear to have their interest piqued by this, and you proceed onward to arrange the other side of the bout. When you return, you see boys from Hamden's group begin trickling to the muster, and you repeat the legend of Goemagot, well known to all. Soon they are shaking their fists and swearing oaths to save their mothers from Goemagot's inhuman rapine.

Goemagot lurches across the training field, looking suspiciously like Luther in the face. Yet his loinclothed physique of ropey sinews and thick slabs of brawn, normally concealed beneath his tunic, suddenly recasts his whole appearance in an unfamiliar new light that in your youthful opinion does no mockery to the old tales. The savage figment of legend comes within hailing distance and, kneeling to you, announces himself with as much dignity as possible. "Goemagot, Milord, at your service."

Amid gasps of growing apprehension at the difficulty of the challenge, Rick Scullion remarks a bit more incredulously, "Polite for a giant, ain't he, though?" to which Cadmon rejoins which a smack on the back of the head, "He's had a thousand years to learn manners. Even tha could learn some by then, numb skull. He's still a giant." Hamden agrees, "Aye. Don't be fooled by good manners. He's still going to drink the blood of our mothers. He'll just have his pinkies pointed genteelly out while he's sipping at the mug."

You hush your men, and walk your pony down the line in review, "Today we fight a giant that delights in the screams of defenceless women. Goemagot himself! Perhaps you fear him, and you wish to ask me whether he can be bested. That is the wrong question. In olden times, these same beasts our ancestors slaughtered, till a mountain was made from their bodies; and from that mountain came down a great river; and out from that river came a shining city; and from that city came the line of the Lords of Fallsberg, rightful Kings of the March from those times till now. So then, do not ask me whether you can defeat this foe. Instead, ask yourselves whether you are true sons of the March who would serve a Count who serves that line of Kings. So, what say you then? Are you true sons of the March?"

Amid a rumble of general assent, Hammy smacks his pudgy hand with his fist. "Aye, right and proper!"

"Then forward with no fear!"

The boys rush past you with a hearty hurrah, as you struggle to dismount, the last part of pony-riding to really elude you. Landing somewhat awkwardly, you slip on the mud and fall hard on your prat, causing you to glance about to see whether anyone noticed. Thankfully, your troops are already engaged in battle, but you spy Symeon and Barachiel Lope strolling the grounds together nearby, Barachiel intent on Symeon's words. Symeon meets your gaze and pauses, with a smile and bow, before turning and guiding Barachiel away. You brush yourself off and console yourself that your clothes will only get dirtier before the day is through. And on that thought, your face brightens and you plunge into the mass of squealing children that Luther is heaving about.

Nanna found you remarkably soon after entering the castle--perhaps because of the crumbling flakes of dried muck that slough off behind you whenever a part of your thoroughly-caked body tries to move. She nearly went apopletic as she sputtered out a command to have water drawn from the well and the tub brought to that location without a single step farther. Your clothes go into a sack, and the water having been heated, she plunges you in the tub and scrubs feverishly at you.

"Your mother wishes to see you, and I won't have you looking like a mud-skinned Baabar! I cannot imagine what she intends to do about this knavery of yours, but I for one intend to peel off a layer of skin if I must!"

You are ushered into the Council Chamber with little need to summon up an embarrassed blush, Nanna having seen to the ruddy complexion of your face with brush bristles and lye. Marna is seated among her throng of courtiers, Symeon at her right hand. Luther is already standing before her raised dais, looking a bit sheepish.

Marna arches a brow at your arrival. "It comes to my attention that milord the Count of Folesden has been battling giants today. In fact, Symeon has come to me with a full account of the spectacle." Marna graces the Lord Chandler with a hand on his arm, and he bows low to you. "He says that the sport itself is amusing to watch, your boys well-trained, and your speech straight out of an idyll. High praise from one having such refined tastes in the arts. We should quite like to see this show for ourselves, and we think that it may be an amusing opportunity to introduce you to the County at large. Milord Symeon and Sir Luther will be in charge of polishing this mummery for enactment at the Folesden Fairs."

Luther quickly out-reddens you.

The Folesden Fairs are held in the barony of Feroshire and will be Isaac's first glimpse of a broader world, but there is choice to be made. Lordship followers know that there are two seasons for the Fairs: an arts festival in May, and a proper tournament in October. Marna will not care, and your preference can shape which season you attend.

By travelling outside Curbiston and indeed the Keep itself, for the first time in your memory--you were born in Feroshire but hardly recall those days--it will not be surprising if you begin to learn of incipient social pressures that will shape society in years to come, and perhaps form the background for your later struggles. The arts festival will expose you to a closer look at forces at play among the commoners; the tournament calls forth flocks of nobility to test their might, and your eyes will be opened to the politics among them.

Another difference is that, at the tournament, your mummery is sure to play second fiddle to much greater excitement; while at the arts fair, far more elaboration on the themes of Goemagot and the ancient legends will be done, given the higher brow of the average attendee there.

Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:14 pm »

The October tournament gets my vote

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2013, 06:42:56 pm »

+1

Let's kick but and take names at 12 y/o or 9 y/o i can't recall our age here.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2013, 07:50:23 pm »

+1

Let's kick but and take names at 12 y/o or 9 y/o i can't recall our age here.
Quote from: Gervassen
"You reflect on the three years of growth that nine year-old Cadmon has over you..."
We are 6.

But else, I also would second the notion. We can always make ourself a "Man of the People" easily enough, but entering politics is far more difficult. I daresay it is also much more important, at least in the long run. Yeah, we might only touch upon the politics slightly in the scenario, but it still should be valuable experience.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2013, 07:57:18 pm »

Idk, I still think we should stage an actual pint-sized tourney in October. Mummery belongs with the arts festival, in my opinion. Thus, we can participate in both!

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 14, 2013, 11:27:13 pm »

Decisively October fair as expected. Although I think the May fair would have had some interesting revelations and opportunities. Nevertheless, when a quick wrestling contest at the end of a RP segment became plans for a tournament, it was already clear that people were primed to see a real one. This will trigger an extra roleplay this year beyond what we already established. Here is the schedule:

1. Create a training group
2. Explore the castle
3. Go to the October fair
4. Give Marna the diary of Aaron Foles.
Explore the castle is next. One post, though. Not a roleplay, but you still can give input for particular places to explore before it's written.

Feedback about The March as a kingdom name? Are you feeling it? This is something that we never quite nailed down in Lordship, but the name is bland enough, while still having an interesting connotation.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:28:51 pm by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 14, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »

"The March" Actually has a certain ring to it.
I think we should avoid whatever dungeon there may be, not really an appropriate place for a six year old to poke about, but other than that i'd be happy with wherever the little tyke see's fit to look through.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:29 am »

The March, exquisite. A good answer to a pondered question.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 15, 2013, 05:23:40 am »

"The March" Actually has a certain ring to it.
I think we should avoid whatever dungeon there may be, not really an appropriate place for a six year old to poke about, but other than that i'd be happy with wherever the little tyke see's fit to look through.
+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 15, 2013, 10:36:53 am »

4. this is not only a good history lesson but a way we can look into the mind of aron foles quite possibly the greatest threat to Samuel {politically/constantly}. Plus wouldn't you want to know why he was such a despicable figure in the world? what trauma he suffered and maybe make clear that his path lead him to death. Thus making Isaac stone be wary of the path of foles and others like him.

Thoughts?

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »

4. this is not only a good history lesson but a way we can look into the mind of aron foles quite possibly the greatest threat to Samuel {politically/constantly}. Plus wouldn't you want to know why he was such a despicable figure in the world? what trauma he suffered and maybe make clear that his path lead him to death. Thus making Isaac stone be wary of the path of foles and others like him.

I love it when you people come up with such ingenious ideas. It makes me smile knowing that people like you are so intellectually gifted. Now if only I could learn such from you...

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:56 am »

I love it when you people come up with such ingenious ideas. It makes me smile knowing that people like you are so intellectually gifted. Now if only I could learn such from you...

Dude really? Just put -1 and/or tell explain why you don't like the idea don't bash people it's RUDE. moving on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2013, 11:41:25 am »

Um, that was a compliment.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30