Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29398 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 01:29:27 pm »

Interesting format. It seems to be a good compromise between playing through the boring month-by-month life of a child, and just skipping it. This way we get to know Isaac and shape the way he grows up. I like it!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 05:13:35 pm »

Poor Anselm, indeed. He was a clever horse.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 09:48:12 am »

Roleplay I -- The Circle

Any given day in early autumn finds you leaning on the rails of the training field fence. Now and then, Luther has been teaching you to ride a pony, but he is all too often engaged with drilling troops, and you patiently wait by the fence and observe. You see not only the long-familiar faces of the household retinue that have watched over you since you can remember, but also a continuous stream of new faces that the veteran retainers derisively term "Curbies" and who they sweep aside effortlessly in various training scrums that you watch with great interest. The retainers also assign a few other epithets that hit closer to home, namely they begin refering to you as Little Lord Fence Post, and when Luther isn't around, some even ask in hushed tones where Little Lord's Hobby Horse has got off to, producing a wave of suppressed chuckles among them. Regardless of this, they actually seem to be proud of your attention and have adopted you as a kind of mascot or lucky talisman.

On one such day, a block of Curbies bristling with wooden staves is lined on one end of the field, and a block of the retainers on the other. A nervous voice drifts across the gap. "My battle is prepared, Sir. I await your advance." Luther cups his hands and responds, "Never think us rude, Sir, you may go first. We await your pleasure."

The mob of Curbiston levies lurches forward unevenly and attempts to advance, but soon loses the semblance of a battle line. The levy captain frantically tries to reform the line, as the retainers swiftly bear down on the milling crowd with a practiced double line of staves, one row gripping underhand and the other overhand. Your favorite part, the initial crunch where the first black eyes, bloody noses and bruised ribs are dealt out, has nearly been reached, and your little hand grips your wooden sword tightly as if you yourself were out there in the battle line.

Nanna, however, has much less discernment regarding which parts of a training scrum are the most exciting, and she exhibits no particular sense of regret when she yanks you away from the railing and leads you back toward the Keep, only saying, "Come along, young Lord Stone, that is quite enough attaching yourself to that wooden rail like a barnacle for one day. Your mother wishes to see you." Just then, the bell of Saint Theobald's began to ring, and then came the tolling of Saint Mary-a-Cheap, then Saint Mary-a-Gate...

As Nanna ushers you down the narrow stone hallway towards the Lord's Bedchamber, a maid rounds out of the doorway in a distracted rush, carrying a bowl full of rags in her arms. She squeaks in surprise and trips over you and nearly upends the contents on you, but Nanna throws herself protectively in the way. The bowl clatters to the floor. Dark red rags squelch wetly at Nanna's feet. "Oh you stupid, thoughtless girl. Look what you have done!"

Nanna is soaked in blood from the waist on down. Fetching the maid a flurry of blows, Nanna tells you go inside the Lord's Bedchamber and wait for her there.

Inside your Mother's bedchamber, a thick circle of courtiers has clotted itself around the bedside, and you can only hear a deep voice intoning solemnly from within the quiet ring, "I annoint you with the oil of salvation in Christ our Lord and Saviour, that you may have life everlasting." You hear Mother weakly reply. "Amen."

Your heart beats fast. How does young Lord Stone respond to this situation?
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 09:58:23 am »

Lay about at their shins with our wooden sword, beating our way to Mother's side!

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 10:02:30 am »

Get to mother. If Luther is there, stand near him.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:02 am »

+1

No to any violent acts - we want her to go with dignity.

Should the baby come out alive, dote on it / care for it as a keepsake of mother and father - as opposed to something childishly silly like seeing it as the reason for mothers death. Well, true, we are a child, but still...

Edit@Gamerlord: It`s the middle-ages. Every sensible GM would roll a dice for such a high-risk occurence like birth. It seems the loss of her hubby hit her hard, resulting in quite poorer health - there was already mention of vile tinctures and medici caring for her some posts prior. Sad, but not really surprising tbh.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:12:52 am by escaped lurker »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:14 am »

Goddamnit. Why did you kill her?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 10:11:01 am »

Walk over to mother and give her a hug. Ask her why she summoned you away from having fun.

Also gamelord she could be giving birth or just bedridden because of the baby in her tummy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:57 am »

We heard a priest giving her her last rites. Gervassen is killing her.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2013, 10:18:24 am »

How old are we again? An who's going to be lord regent now? I'm fearful of walking down the keeps slippery steps.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2013, 11:02:27 am »

It was the middle ages, and childrearing is high risk business. I guess young Issac Stone will just innocently ask her mother to pamper him.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:51 am »

Roleplay I -- Part 2
Lay about at their shins with our wooden sword, beating our way to Mother's side!

You run forward and try to get to Mother, but you are firmly rebuffed by the ring of courtiers who glower over their shoulders at you and wave you away impatiently. You wish Nanna had dragged Luther along on her other hand. If only Luther were here, how easily he could plough through this impenetrable barrier of towering adults, you think angrily.

Seeing no other choice, you brandish your wooden sword, and with a shout, you begin hewing into the colourful forest of stocking-clad legs in front of you. Your wooden sword goes snicker-snack against an assortment of thighs, knees and shins. The circle of courtiers rapidly dissolves into a tumult of people leaping in startled pain, falling over themselves, knocking others over like dominoes, and shouting to protect the baby.

The enemy is put to absolute rout before you, and you stand victoriously before Mother. Her weary face is a picture of absolute horror. Behind her, the priest picks himself up off the floor and rights the tripod and silver basin that moments ago held the holy water. He sonorously intones, "Send to the chapel. The baptism cannot proceed without more water." The scene is punctuated as your little brother starts to shriek.

Nanna enters the chamber in a clean dress and her mouth works speechlessly. What do you do?

Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:47 am »

In point of fact, Gamerlord, you heard the ritual of extreme unction for father in the Prologue, and that ritual is a standard set of phrases that doesn't vary. These phrases were a little different, and the baby was at the part of the baptism that is only perhaps five seconds from being sprinkled with holy water.

Marna is weak and tired because she just gave birth. She bled because there are a variety of blood vessels in the womb that must of necessity rupture to complete the birthing process. The average female loses 500 ml of blood in a birth. Howbeit that Marna is a tired, lonely, busy, frightened, and grief-stricken woman... yet, by the grace of god, she still lives!
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:50 am »

Eh, explaining to them that we thought they were going to take mother away too should work.
Else, take the punishment - if there is any - like a man of your future status should.

Clearly had us fooled there for a moment, Gerv. :P

Else, procceed to take a slight and positive interest in your younger silbling.
"We are gonna be to him like what Ludda is to us. That will be great times."

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 11:36:56 am »

Issac should say "hi nanna why are the courtiers so vile as not let me get to mother? Did they not know I was summoned? *looks to courtiers* sorry everyone but I needed to get to mommy *show sword*.

Turn to mommy "mommy are you going to br alright?".

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:38:56 am by 3man75 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30