Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29367 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:53 am »

Quick question do we know where dad's grave is? maybe we can put some flowers their.

An when is Isaac going to be "proper" age to actually take over from mother?

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 10:21:55 am »

Stone is a noble, so they interred him in a crypt under the nearby Saint Theobalds. It's on the same hill as the castle, not a far walk. I will take that as a vote to go see him.

Oh, and as for reaching majority, legally that should be 20 years old, I believe. However, at a certain point of maturity, it's simply a matter of asserting yourself to gain unofficial control. So, in practice... depending on Isaac's temperament, readiness, and support from the nobles... could be 13 or 14 at best... 15 or 16 maybe... but it won't just fall into your lap, if you want it early.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:32:42 am by Gervassen »
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:53 am »

Quick question do we know where dad's grave is? maybe we can put some flowers their.

An when is Isaac going to be "proper" age to actually take over from mother?
+1 for a dramatic promise to protect everyone to his grave.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:37 am »

Making graveside oaths seems a little dramatic and morose for a five year old... I think a visit would be appropriate at this point in time.

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 11:17:11 am »

1: We should be going to the barracks regularly.
2: Play at being a knight using wooden swords and shields with the other children.
3: Get some guardsmen to teach us how to ride a pony, if we don't already know how. Ride it around.

We'll be a proper knight, like Father!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 11:32:43 am »

2: Play at being a knight using wooden swords and shields with the other children.
3: Get some guardsmen to teach us how to ride a pony, if we don't already know how. Ride it around.

+1, well said

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 12:17:06 pm »

Were also going to need social skills and how to do administrative tasks by the way since were about to be six {when's his B-day again?} can we ask to be tutored by some prominent noble? I heard they use to be called cadets {french for trainee}.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 01:48:41 pm »

Were also going to need social skills and how to do administrative tasks by the way since were about to be six {when's his B-day again?} can we ask to be tutored by some prominent noble? I heard they use to be called cadets {french for trainee}.
Sounds like a plan.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 04:34:43 am »

Apologies in advance. Soon I'll be unleashing a bit of an experiment on you. I call it a Vignette, and it's meant to grapple with the problems of presenting the tedious life of a child smoothly.

None of us wanted Sam Stone to die, but he left behind a young son. Unlike Sam, who was a peasant until 18 years old and worked the land just like all the other peasants, a nobody with no history, Isaac will be very different: at 18 years old, already a noble-born young lord, and he will already have a web of supporters and rivals. He will have already gone places and done things. He will have paged, and he will have squired for other lords, in other courts. He will have had access to educational opportunities, choosing what, or even if, to learn.

I didn't feel that I could rush ahead all those years, making Isaac so many things that you didn't actually suggest. Besides, as kahn pointed out near the end of Lordship, the nature of Isaac's predicament is so unstable that whether he could even survive his age of minority is hard to determine by GM fiat. Therefore I start him young, and hope that you can fill in the blanks. Writing this is an act of faith that you can be patient and forgive my missteps if my format is utter crap.

If we moved month-by-month through the life of a child, like Lordship, it would be boring. Lordship had Monthly Turns and Roleplay. this game has Yearly Turns, Roleplay, and Vignettes.

Vignettes are slices of life from inside a year, prompted by your choices. They are feedback somewhere within the timespan of a full turn, but not roleplay with ongoing interaction, either.

The first Vignette is a response to the overwhelming support among the suggestions for doing training, and in particular, Playdoh wanting him to get started on using a sword, a shield, and a horse. I appreciated the suggestion, and if you have a particular reaction, feel free to suggest that and it will be reflected in further turns and vignettes. However, this moment in time encapsulated in this vignette is now completed.

Hope this experimental format isn't too complicated.

can we ask to be tutored by some prominent noble? I heard they use to be called cadets {french for trainee}.

At eight or nine, you'll probably be sent as a page to some other noble family, unless you really are against being parted from Mother. Being a page helps the young noble build a network of personal ties in the broader nobility and makes the rule of the host noble more stable, as well, since it's an expression of political goodwill. In fact, such is the unstable political situation of lady Marna that she may soon seek to firm up her position by hosting her own group of young noble pages.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 04:38:33 am »

Vignette I -- The Pony

Angry at Nanna for taking away your toy knights and expelling you outside, you declare to the skies above that you yourself will become a knight like father, then no one could take that away from you. Unlike what they did with your toys. Unlike what they did with father. You stride down to the training field, your little legs churning vigourously and purposefully through the mud. The barracks, the stables and the looming castle wall enclose the training area on three sides. The fourth side is bounded by a wooden rail fence, quite probably to keep children away. Two men are swatting lazily at each other with swords, another is running nimbly through a track full of barriers, nets and hoops. There's an unused quartain near the stables. But your attention is seized by the area near the barracks, where big round stones of various sizes are laid out in a row.

Thunk! With a strained grunt, a mountain of a man tosses a stone five times your size to the ground. You recognise and run toward him.

"Ludda! Ludda!"

Luther turns around, a question mark faintly written upon the impassive scarlet wall of his face. As usual, his response is a deep but soft rumble. "Milord, what are you doing here? You'll get your clothes muddy."

"I'm going to be a knight now! Where's my sword? Where are my horse and shield?"

The question mark is wiped away. The blank stone wall also crumbles. Luther booms out like the bell of Saint Theobald's, and the other trainees turn to observe. "Hoho! Your sword, horse, and shield! Hoho! In truth, I swore a vow to teach you arms, Milord, but... ah..." He looks around the field, at the men that have resumed beating each other, at the obstacle course, at the set of stone weights larger than you are. He shakes his head. "Right. Let's start with the horse then."

He leads you over to the stables and shows you the row of stalls housing the smaller ponies. "I want that one!" You point to a jumbled set of tarnished horse barding heaped in the corner of the stable. Any horse that could wear such an impressive armour would quite fit the bill of what you had running in your little mind.

"That was indeed a magnificent horse, Milord. Your father's destrier. One of the many that never came back from Mumsford Mound. Poor Anselm."

Luther selects a pony for you: a swayed-backed little jade that he leads outside and sets you atop. The pony ambles forward to nibble at a tuft of grass, and you promptly fall off and begin to cry. Luther scoops you up. "That was fine riding, Milord. Time to go back to Nanna." Your cries, more in fright than in pain, double in volume. "I can do it! I can do it!"

Hours later, your knees are scraped and bloody, and your left wrist feels a little sprained, but as your pony surges forward toward the quartain and as you strike it soundly with your lance, the pain and sacrifice today was all worth it. "Another pass! Another pass!" Luther whinnies and turns around, charging again at the quartain for the umpteenth time in the past hour, and you ride his back into battle. Your broomstick deals the target another satisfying knock. In the distance, the cook is ringing the dinner bell, and Luther knickers in relief. "Time to eat some provender, Milord."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:53:21 am by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 04:43:05 am »

I can see this as a very expanded way to answer the "who are you" and related questions. Great work.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 04:53:44 am »

Holy shit, Gervassen, your storytelling makes me want to not lurk and contribute.

When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 05:24:40 am »

More the merrier, ansontan! And thanks, I will attempt to keep up the quality.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 06:56:14 am »

Wow, I envy you and your storytelling Gervassen. (Sucking up to the GM! +1s to everything! Seriously though. Awesome.)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 10:28:51 am »

Isaac Stone the Knight of demanding for things already...sounds fun i really want to see what happens when people try to threaten him in the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30