Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 565444 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3060 on: July 31, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »

It's a thing in-story even though Giant does hate it, there's just only maybe one or two existent clerics who could pull it off. One of which is Redcloak. But they have Durkon's dust on the chair there, that'd be enough for a regular Resurrection.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: July 31, 2018, 02:17:22 pm »

Thinking through it out loud, the biggest issue is the availability of extreme-level divine spellcasters.  Which is why they went to the Godsmoot in the first place, though for a "mere" Resurrection. 
And narratively they are probably returning to the Godsmoot to resolve the Hel arc, and get an official ultimatum from the gods to FIX THIS by defeating Xykon before more harm is done.

So they (MIGHT) have the cleric necessary, and arguably "all the money" from desperate gods and clerics, but I don't think Durkon is coming back.
I called that he was going to die (I thought he would collapse immediately, the Giant did one better), and I'm doubling down on my call that he'll refuse to be raised.  Even though the world is at stake, there are too many worthy dwarves who might be saved from Hel.
It would cheapen his death and his backstory arc.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: July 31, 2018, 03:35:15 pm »

Would the party use True Resurrection? Though I've heard Rich Burlew despises the mechanic because he feels that it's too cheesy or something.

In a real tabletop game though, the party definetly likely would, unless the player wants to reroll. So, it's a matter of whether Rich feels it's right for the story.

For reference, The Giant's views on True Resurrection:

Quote from: The Giant
And more to the point, True Resurrection is a terrible, narrative-wrecking spell that should not exist, as it has no real purpose for players who die in battle (as they can almost always be returned via simple Resurrection) and only ever comes in to play to undo plot points. I prefer to simply treat it as "not available" to everyone, and I don't want to waste any panel time explaining why.

And, as mentioned, they are fully capable of Resurrecting Durkon, assuming that they can either convince Hilgya to do so (she's cast spells of the same or higher level than Resurrection on "screen", but will need a lot of convincing) or else find an appropriately-leveled cleric somewhere around here. The ash from dusting a vampire is enough to count as "remains" for anything higher than Raise Dead,and Raise Dead doesn't work on corpses that have been turned into Undead in the first place. This, for example, is why so many Disintigrated characters have been hit with a Gust of Wind, and also why both Nale and Malack were killed in a windy desert - to make it obvious that they would be staying dead.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: July 31, 2018, 03:52:02 pm »

Didn't Nale's succubus girlfriend collect his ashes though?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: July 31, 2018, 03:58:05 pm »

No. Blown away
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: July 31, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »

Which is why she was so upset, broke the vid-screen and such.

And hopefully comes back, maybe even fighting for Nale's goals in her own way.  Keeping his memory alive.
Because it's confirmed that she's the trope of a succubus who falls for her target - but that doesn't mean she's weak.  Arguably stronger.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: July 31, 2018, 04:06:02 pm »

She was Banished to hell by Durkon's Holy Word spell at the time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: July 31, 2018, 04:30:30 pm »

That was... mildly anticlimatic. Probably just coming down from the climactic ultra-high from the past few strips.

Giant isn't entirely wrong about True Resurrection being overpowered. Technically it's even more powerful than Wish and  Miracle. Both 9th-level spells, and require two castings to replicate a slightly weaker effect of True Resurrection. Actually it just replicates normal Resurrection, the first casting is used to re-create the corpse. True Resurrection also lacks level(or CON for a 1st-level revive) loss that Raise Dead and Resurrection have - which not even Wish nor Miracle can recover.

It's a thing in-story even though Giant does hate it, there's just only maybe one or two existent clerics who could pull it off. One of which is Redcloak.
The other, by the way, would be the High Priest of Odin. Who is back at the Godsmoot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: July 31, 2018, 10:33:44 pm »

If the vampire saliva in Haley was enough of Durkon's body to empower the scrying spell, it ought to be enough for a Resurrection to work. The vampire dust should work just fine, probably.

I also generally feel better about the whole "Durkon controls the vampire" thing now that it's clear that it only would have worked for a short time. Good Vampire Durkon as a party member would have been a step too far.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: July 31, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »

So I guess Belkar just didn't notice that Durkon deliberately lowered his shields and Hulk Hogan'd his shirt open to reveal his vampire nipples, presenting for the heart stab?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: August 01, 2018, 12:19:22 am »

So I guess Belkar just didn't notice that Durkon deliberately lowered his shields and Hulk Hogan'd his shirt open to reveal his vampire nipples, presenting for the heart stab?

A) He's Belkar.

B) He was Raging, I believe. Still, he's Belkar.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: August 01, 2018, 02:49:20 am »

A) He's Belkar.

B) He was Raging, I believe. Still, he's Belkar.
I also dont think there any means for Durkon to demostrate his conversation to Belkar, in the best time and less so when hes raging, pissed and grieving.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: August 01, 2018, 03:06:03 am »

another weak arc conclusion  ::)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: August 01, 2018, 09:28:09 am »

I'm not sure how what's happening classes as weak? Compared to what exactly? It's a near TPK, and one of the main characters has been completely nixxed instead of saved.

Is it weak because the party isn't triumphant in battle or something?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: August 01, 2018, 09:41:59 am »

Maybe because of the way Hels plans just went up in smoke in an undramatic way? Still, given that Belkar was in the middle of a berserker rage, there's probably no way of convincing him via conversation.

There's also a remaining 'now what?' for the party, though at least Helgya is there to heal them up.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 313