Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 559952 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1077 All Clear
« Reply #2160 on: June 28, 2017, 07:25:33 am »

Too bad your face is not in full plate.
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 28, 2017, 07:56:04 am »

That is why you have a helmet with a visor. One of these.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 28, 2017, 08:15:56 am »

That is why you have a helmet with a visor. One of these.

Also great for head-butts!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 28, 2017, 11:07:04 am »

Swarms cannot be hurt be weapons

Except if they are composed of tiny creatures, as per your second link. Which means that bird and rat swarms can still be killed, abet slightly slower, by weapons. Solving the issues Scriver pointed out with the realism of how many rats you'd need to make such a swarm that killing a few per hit don't truly matter!

Armors a weird one though, although armor can often be a strange thing in D&D (like why does Adamantine armor give dr? Does it toughen your flesh by proximity?)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 28, 2017, 11:16:09 am »

Swarms cannot be hurt be weapons

Except if they are composed of tiny creatures, as per your second link. Which means that bird and rat swarms can still be killed, abet slightly slower, by weapons. Solving the issues Scriver pointed out with the realism of how many rats you'd need to make such a swarm that killing a few per hit don't truly matter!

Armors a weird one though, although armor can often be a strange thing in D&D (like why does Adamantine armor give dr? Does it toughen your flesh by proximity?)
I suppose it shows that even what would be a successful hit against steel armour would fail to penetrate adamantine without a certain level of force behind it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:45 am »

I don't get AC in D&D anyway. It works like evasion. I would expect armor to make you easier to hit, but instead reduce the damage you take. That is, in D&D terms, lower AC, increase mechanical DR.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 28, 2017, 12:57:13 pm »

I think that armor as +ac actually does make some sense, probably more then as +dr. I don't think that you normally partially cut though armor with most weapons like dr would imply. Normally you'd strike them where they aren't wearing armor. So increasing AC totally makes sense, they aren't physically dodging every blow, but if you get a glancing hit on a place where they are wearing armor it doesn't hurt them (that much). Obviously that's not a perfectly logical conceptualization, but I personally think it makes more sense then armor as dr. And at a certain point the game needs to be abstracted in some way to actually play it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:58:48 pm by Criptfeind »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 28, 2017, 01:16:41 pm »

In the 3.5 DMG, it is explicitly stated that a "miss" does not mean "no contact", but "no damage". This is why touch AC exists.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 28, 2017, 01:35:00 pm »

No, you do not cut through armor. But even a glancing hit will be a blunt hit and can cause a bruise. Especialy with heavier weapons like big axes and blunt weapons. And big swords as well.

In the end, while the armor could give some chance to give some chance to negate glancing hits. But the hits that are glancing with the armor would be low damage ones without it. So DR would just make the weak hits do no damage at all.

The problem I have with the AC system in D&D is, that you can wear plate armor over your whole body, the seams have covered by chainmail, and slashing you with a scimitar can inflict exactly the same damage as if you did not have it. Less often, but the same damage, even though there is nowhere where it can cut you.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 28, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »

There's an official varient rule in Unearthed Arcana that gives heavy armour damage reduction. Its not that balanced, since having DR of like a quarter of your health early on is great and then becomes basically irrelevant since physical enemies can just Power Attack for a -4 to-hit/+4 damage bonus and thus ignore the whole thing.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 28, 2017, 04:40:43 pm »

Armor giving you a chance to avoid damage makes sense. Your opponent not only has to hit you, but hit you in a weak spot of your armor. The more skilled you are with your weapon (high BAB), the easier it is to bypass armor. If you think that blunt weapons should be exempt from that, houserule them to do half damage if they hit touch AC or something.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 30, 2017, 06:39:53 pm »

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1078 But If You Try Sometimes
« Reply #2173 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:08 pm »

Acivate Recall Weapon!, lol.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1078 But If You Try Sometimes
« Reply #2174 on: June 30, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »

Sufficiently splat-book martial characters are indistinguishable from wizards.
(Hyperbole.  Except... Tome of Battle)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 313